Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me or has anybody else found the transition from DAO to DA/SA difficult?

I went to the range Sunday with a new DA/SA 9mm pistol...and darn if I did not get every first DAO round smack dab in the bull’s eye...and all the subsequent DA off to the left. I realize, of course, that I am pulling the trigger...too much finger in the well.

To date, I have had only DAO revolvers and both my P3AT and Taurus Millennium Pro PT145 are both DAO pistols. Is this something I need to work on or will it affect my DAO pull.

Perhaps I should have the pistol changed out to DAO...or sell it and only work with DAO pistols. Why does this seem such a difficult thing to adjust to? Do I just need more range time with it...or is this a pretty common problem to overcome?

·
Registered
163 Posts
The DA/SA transition is one of the reasons why I've bought DAO Rugers while they were/are still available. You can occasionally find a police trade-in P95DAO, and about a year ago I was able to buy a new P93DAO.

I've found that only a small amount of practice is required to be just as accurate double-action as single action.

Some never master the DA/SA transaction. Their "emergency" mode of operations is to "throw away the DA shot just to get the pistol cocked" then focus on aimed SA fire.

The new Ruger SR-9 and LCP pistols are, in effect, DAO models.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
I tried my best to transition from a SA only 1911 pistol to a SA/DA. It just didn't work for me. Maybe I'm too set in my ways or just not talented enough to make the change. I tried several Ruger P-guns, a Beretta 92FS, and a SIG P-220... all with the "dump the first one, aim with the second syndrome". So after fighting this urge to move into the new millenium, someone else now owns those guns and I went back to my good old Colt Commander. My scores on the range are far from perfect but they are vastly improved over DA/SA. I tried a Ruger P-gun in DAO. With the long trigger travel, my hand would lose position and I would end up with a poor group way to the left of center. Oddly enough, I cut my teeth on DA revolvers and hardly ever fired them in the SA mode.

I firmly believe if you started with one type of pistol and practiced enough to get proficient, it becomes very difficult to transition to another type. That's why some shooters swear by one type of action and another shooter swears at it.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
i agree, for a revolver man to go to a da/sa, it is a pain. I shoot a da revolver better and i also shoot a browning hi-power better. Perhaps if i quit revolver shootin' all-together, i could shoot a da/sa semi better if i devoted myself to that system----ain't gonna happen as i like wheel guns. I also shoot the da round accurately in my p90 or sig pro.

In the end, it just takes work.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I grew up with a High-Standard 9shot sa/da revolver and practiced enough that I could shoot it either way. I always preferred single action, but also practiced double action. In slow fire I can group sa and da about the same in my CCW. In rapid fire I don't do very good with either.

·
Registered
68 Posts
DA/SA has been my biggest challenge, and I'm not totally comfortable with it yet. Oh me, oh my, more practice :D

I have only one TDA, the rest are DAO, except for the SA Blackhawks. Those are in a class of their own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts