Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a total newcomer to shooting. Bought and SR22 and my wife and I shot about 250 rounds of Federal bulk ammo through it on Thursday. Brought it home and proceeded to clean it. Never cleaned a gun before. Have a cleaning kit for a .22. Cleaning went fine except when I look down the barrel from the end where the cartridge enters I see what looks like a very thin black ring. I put the brush in with more solvent but the ring remains. This looks like it is about an inch and half or so from end where the large section of the barrel transitions to the round portion. I asked a lot of friends who are experienced with guns and they had no idea unless it had something to do with the rifling. I called Ruger and talked to a lady who seemed to have no clue but suggested that I fire some CCI high velocity ammo through it. So I took it back to the store I bought it, and the salesman did not know either, but thought it might be the rifling. He pulled out a new SR22 and it seemed to have the same ring. He suggested I come back Monday and have their gunsmith look at it before I fire it again.

So is this what every SR22 looks like? The ring looks black even with a lot of light down the barrel. It looks like it is carbon, but I am so inexperienced. As I say, I am a complete novice, but I am the only person ever to notice this?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Hi first off welcome to the forum.
What you're seeing is the end of the camber. The rifling starts right after that. The end the bullet goes in is called the breech end and thre front of the barrel is the muzzle. I have 2 SR22's and both have the same ring. The chamber is where the shell sits and is not rifled. Welcome to shooting. Ask as many ?'s as need there are no dumb? except the one you don't ask. I'm sure others will also answer your post. Keep those ?'s comming and please take a gun safety course if you haven't already.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Welcome from Virginia. Enjoy the forum. Have lots of enjoyment from your SR22. We all started at some point. Keep asking your questions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
As you can tell you can get all those questions answered here. I purchased my SR22 pistol back in April and have put thousands of rounds through it since then. It is one of my favorite guns I have ever shot because its so much fun. I'm glad you went Ruger, wise choice. Hope you enjoy the forum as I already have been.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Welcome from North Carolina. You must have gotten a salesman with very little gun knowledge. gmsoapy nailed it. Welcome to the joy of shooting. You have chosen a very good gun for a first time shooter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much gmsoapy. Very helpful. I have a friend who is an NRA instructor, and he is the main one who got me and my wife into shooting. He has given us some basic instruction and taken us shooting with some of his guns. So we feel we know some of the basics. We decided to get the SR22 to try and perfect the basic skills about grip and stance, then go for the CPL, and then move up to something that might be more appropriate for self defense, primarily here at home, the car, and then maybe actual carry. Just taking it a step at a time.

Thanks to all others for the nice welcome. Good to have a place to get answers.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Thanks so much gmsoapy. Very helpful. I have a friend who is an NRA instructor, and he is the main one who got me and my wife into shooting. He has given us some basic instruction and taken us shooting with some of his guns. So we feel we know some of the basics. We decided to get the SR22 to try and perfect the basic skills about grip and stance, then go for the CPL, and then move up to something that might be more appropriate for self defense, primarily here at home, the car, and then maybe actual carry. Just taking it a step at a time.

Thanks to all others for the nice welcome. Good to have a place to get answers.
Great you're off to a great start. Thou I must warn you that these guns have a tendency to muitply. Next it'll be a MKIII or 22/45. wait you'll see. But as others have said and I agree it's a great first gun. please ask all the ?'s you want, someone will always help. We're here to help one another that's what this forum is all about.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Greetings & Welcome to the forum from the "Tar Heel" State of North Carolina..congrats, the SR22 has been a great gun for me..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dang, wcombs ... you must have read my mind.

I'm another new SR22 owner ... with close to 1200 round through the gun. I, too, noticed the "dark ring" in the barrel ... and wondered "hmmmm."

Thanks to gmsoapy, we both know the answer ... and can quit wondering and start shooting more, eh?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'm gald I was able to help you both.
The chamber must be slightly larger dia to accept the shell casing and the barrel slightly smaller for the actual projectle ( bullet) and to be able to rifle the barrel. So you're looking at the step in the barrel where this takes place. Yes just take them out and enjoy them. One more word of advice. Check the barrel for loseness and check the take down lever for signs of wear when ever you break them down. These were some problems with he earier models, but I haven't seen any posts lately about these issues so I think Ruger has worked them out. Also when loading your mags only pull the follower down eough for one round at a time as thse mags load with a little stager and slap the back of the loaded mag aganist the plam of your hand to make sure the rounds are fully seated to the back of the mag. This prevents some feeding problems. Also if you do ever have a problem with your guns Ruger stands behind them 100%. Their customer service is second to none.
One last thing. Welcome to the forum Tod. Hang around lot of great people here.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Welcome , I must be slacking with only 600 rounds sine the 1st of August. I can make up round count fast, but I keep getting new CFP's to prove out instead.;)

Like a LC9

1 - 11 of 11 Posts