Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have been mounting my new rings on my KM77VT's and am having a heck of a time breaking torx bits. They are a T10 size. I have so far broken 2 performance tool bits, and one Lisle bit. Does anyone know of a better bit that's out there? I was under the impression that Lisle tools were pretty good. I looked at the Leupold torx driver, but it's a T15. I need some help here!!!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry Nettles. The topic right above my post is corrected, but it is still wrong on the very top and also in the main Tavern page.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It won't happen again Nettles

·
Registered
99 Posts
Breaking TORX Bits?!?!? Well gee, try that little QUALITY TAIWAN wrench that Ruger encloses with their rings! No; prob'ly even that REALLY GOOD one would bend or break. I have a set of Vermont American TORX Drivers I use and have not had any problem with them. Could always flag down the Snap On Truck too...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Better to break the torx bit than twist off the screw.

Might be your cranking down on them too hard???

Joe

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Better to break the torx bit than twist off the screw.

Might be your cranking down on them too hard???

Joe
Well, I don't want them to work themselves loose. I'm just turning a 1/4 inch nut driver with the bit on the end of it. It's not all that much power.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Less torque and some blue loc-tite will solve both the stripping and working loose problems.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use the blue loctite already, but I want them to be tight to begin with. I'm only cinching them down, not overly tightening them.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
If you use a lot of loc-tite and it starts to set you'll have a very hard time getting the screws in. Remove the loc-tite that's on the screws and apply a very little. It doesn't take much to hold. I've had the same problem in the past and it took me forever to figure out what was happening. Once I did, zip, bang, boom, done! And I didn't have to use naughty words on the forum. :D

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
If you use a lot of loc-tite and it starts to set you'll have a very hard time getting the screws in. Remove the loc-tite that's on the screws and apply a very little. It doesn't take much to hold. I've had the same problem in the past and it took me forever to figure out what was happening. Once I did, zip, bang, boom, done! And I didn't have to use naughty words on the forum. :D
Yea Buddy... That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!:D

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't think it was all that bad of a word. I put a little bit of loctite on each screw then tighten them up in sequence. They are brand new, so they started off clean.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Relax... I'm just joking...:D

It never hurts to lighten up a bit, to keep friendships in tact... After all, they a much more valuable than dirty words...

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Relax... I'm just joking...:D

It never hurts to lighten up a bit, to keep friendships in tact... After all, they a much more valuable than dirty words...
But not as much fun. :D

Cody I didn't even see what the word was. I'm just busting your chops. It's what I do. :) So are your screws all set?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On three of the guns. I'm off to try and hunt down a snap-on or mac guy tomorrow. The good thing about both of the bits that I broke were that they were lifetime warranty. I was taking it easy, I just didn't see how the word was all that bad.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you have used loc-tit on them, you need to heat the screw to break the bond. A solder gun works well for this.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Could it be that some of us old dogs done mis-trained some of the young pups? Shame on me, I'm still a Marine with my tongue but I am tryin' to get it cleaned up...does that impact wrench have a steel brush attachment/????

1 - 20 of 21 Posts