Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to the sweetwater rarrlesnake and gunshow this morning. Daughter was anxious as she had saved a pocket full of money.

We talked extensively about guns and she was put off by the fact that she as 18 years old can't buy a handgun as this gunshow was purty much all FFL dealers :mad:. She had been seriously thinkin ruger p95 or the smith sw99. Then again she also talked blackhawk, single six and browning buckmark as well. Tried to talk her into considering a black powder revolver but that didn't float.:D

Anyway, once there we got to walking thru the show and i could tell that this girl was just in a plain buy mood. Finally she came down to three choices. Her final choices were:
Winchester single shot mdl 37 20ga---$330 (beauiful)
H&r single shot 22 hornet mannlicher stock--$225(nice)
Norinco sks---$180 (very clean)

The winchester and the h&r were probably in the back of her mind sentimental favorites as she knows i like them old break over guns and she knew i would approve. :eek:

But i could tell that she really was leaning towards that sks. I checked over the sks and it appeared to be close to one of those advertised as "unissued". Good bluing, no scratches or stock damage. Cleaning rod present and proper tools where in the trap in the stock. Serial numbers matched on trigger guard, bolt, stock, and receiver. It also had a williams peep sight attached as well. I told her the pro's and con's on the sks to give her a basic idea about what to expect.

After pricing the various mini 14's, ak's and ar15's and receiving sticker shock :eek:, she was sold on this one. She figures it will make a good hog rifle and also a good self-defense rifle-----i agreed with her.;)

She kept me by her side thru the entire transaction as this was her 1st purchase and the 1st time she had to fill out the required paperwork and be back-ground checked. She read every question carefully and probably took her over 10 minutes to complete the form as she was neverous. All went well and she made her 1st bonifide gun purchase.

It was nice to be there and witness this "right of passage" as it was a big deal for her and me as well.:)

We then went to another vendor and bought 8 boxes of 7.62x39 ammo.

We will try to make the range tomorrow if possible to try her out.

As for me, I passed on everything. There was an old beat up winchester mdl 37 in 16 ga for $150 but i still thought it too high for its shape. Maybe next time as i like them old single shots. Guess them old winchester single shot shotguns are becoming collector's items by the way they were priced!!!:eek:

·
Registered
401 Posts
A big thumbs up...

Sounds like you had a great day... :cool: glad your daughter is interested in firearms. Waiting for a range report :)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
She's got good taste.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I had an SKS for a short time and loved it. Your daughter ahould have fun with it. Get some stripper clips for it to make reloading at the range quicker.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I shoot with my Daughter from time to time. I bought a XD45 Service for her to use. She liked my XD45 Tactical, but after trying a few other pistols, she settled on the Service. She also likes the P89 & is deadly with my AR15 & is getting pretty good with the shotgun's. Good memories are being made when you shoot with your kids. :cool:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We shot it the other day. and she is hooked on that sks. But then again, she's hooked on about any firearm---she likes them all!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And the fun continues! Yesterday was an excersise in field-stripping the sks. Sort of took the monkey see monkey do approach. I removed the receiver cover, spring, and bolt assembly and explained the function then re-assembled and handed back to her to tear it down and put it back together. Did the trigger group and gas tube assembly and stock removal that way as well. Believe she's got the hang of it. She really likes this sks!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Good choice for a first rifle. Not too much kick, cheap and plentiful ammo. Can be very accurate in the right hands, and reliable as they come. Easy to get parts for and can be customized easily. (although think about that with the matching numbers) I am impressed that she is interested in shooting, I have tried getting my 2 daughters interested but only their boyfriends show any interest. Good luck with the sks. I have a yugo and a chinese. If you want good info on everything sks go to http://sksboards.com/

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Your daughter is lucky to have a father like you. And you are lucky to have her. I am glad you are having fun with the SKS. It won't be long when she will want another gun.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sounds like your daughter made a great choice. SKS's can be addictive:D Just enough rifle for most hunting applications and great for just plinking.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
heck, daddy here may need to get one also. At least the ammo is cheap still.
The sks is very popular around here and for the most part its giving the good ole' 30-30 a run for its money as a pickup gun for the local farmers and ranchers. Lots of kids use them for hog hunting as well.

We got the stripper clips and a "diddy" bag (did i say that right?) So now she she has a small canvas bag full of loaded stripper clips.

She thinks this is just the greatest little rifle ever made. She likes the attached cleaning rod and the kit in the buttstock for field cleaning.

If she ever gets her hands on the little short "paratrooper" model, she will probably jump on that one as well.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Sounds like a great deal for both of you. Glad she likes it.
Any day with a daughter is a great day!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I love stripper clips. I have them for all my surplus firearms. Just make reloading faster so you can shoot more.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I love my Yugo SKS - but I was tired of the smell of cosmoline by the time I got it cleaned for the first time ( it was unissued and swimming in cosmoline ). My Daughter is quite a good shot but hasn't ventured away from her .22 much....hmmm, she would probably really enjoy shooting the SKS...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts