Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just noticed this listed on Gallery of Guns, Gun Genie. Item#5031, Model KRH-414. It shows 0 available. How long ago were these listed? I did not realize there was a .41 Magnum Redhawk recently offered.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just found out about them a couple of days ago while doing my routine 41 Magnum searches on Gunbroker. Mine will be in my hands in a few days! :)

KO

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
What is it, a 4" round butt .41 Magnum?

I've been looking for an excuse to try a .41 Magnum, and that would be it:)

Even a 4" square butt model would be an interesting gun.......

I just checked the Gun Genie, there's no pic but it's a 4" model, I hope they crank out some more of these.........

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here it is with its older bigger .41 Magnum siblings.
The Davidsons Exclusive comes with Ruger logo Hogue Bantam grips which I swapped out for a set of Nills grips.

KO

·
Registered
783 Posts
Nice group you have there KO
Just noticed how, from the cylinder forward (mainly on the blue one's) they resemble a Smith 44 mag in a way.
Never compared them side by side I guess

·
Registered
803 Posts
Nice 41 collection. I have always liked shooting 41's but just never owned one. I might take the plunge except at my age I just don't need anymore reloading stuff. My building is about to bust a seam now.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Good, it doesn't have that hideous pinned front sight.........

I think part of the reason I traded off my 4" .44 Redhawk was that cheap looking pinned front sight, also because I have a Kodiak.

I never thought much about a .41 Magnum, except for the brief period I wanted a S&W 57, but this Redhawk may be the one that makes me add a new caliber........

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Based upon my 5.5" and 4.25" Redhawks in 45 Colt and a number of 41 Mag platforms, I would say the Redhawk is an unnecessarily large, heavy platform for the compact 41 Magnum cartridge. It might fit 7 rounds. The GP100 can be converted to 41 but only strong enough as 41 Special, while Ruger's next step up in DA is the oversized Redhawk. The Smith N-frame is the better platform for 41 DA. My 4" 657 is one of my keepers.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Actually, Gary Reeder converts the GP100 to .41 MAG but probably only takes 5 rounds in a custom cylinder. A 7 shot Redhawk would be interesting.

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
Big stout wheel guns

The Red hawk makes my old school Model 57 look positively anemic. Some of the guys may be right, the Redhawk may be overkill for the 41. The GP100 seems like it could work with a little beefing up here and there.
One thing about a 41 Redhawk, it should be able to handle just about any load one could reasonably concoct. Is the Blackhawk a much stronger system than a GP100. My 41 Single action has held up well, hard to believe that the Gp100 wouldn't . I wish some of the Engineering types on the forum would enlighten us.:D

·
Registered
803 Posts
In the time when the Redhawk was introduced an ongoing concern was in some S&W 44 magnums with heavy loads the cylinder would unlock during recoil and allow the cylinder to skip ahead. I know this can occur because I used to have a very early 629 that sometimes would do that with heavy loaded cast Keith type bullets and a load of 2400 that was below max amount in the data. I remember that silhouette shooters were having a lot of trouble with this. Ruger brought out the Redhawk with its massive brute strength to counter any possibility of that sort of occurrence among a lot of other reasons. Or so the gun mags of the time suggested. In this it is safe to say they were wildly successful. S&W took other paths to successfully address the problem.

There is so little real difference between the 41 and 44 magnums that putting a 41 in a smaller framed revolver is possible, as in S&W Model 69, but some compromises will have to be made. After handling a Model 69 some I think that for me the magnums will have to be in the larger frame revolvers. My arthritic hands just need the extra weight to absorb some recoil. My wish list has a 4 inch Redhawk 44 on the short side of it.:D However if I run across a great deal on a 41 I may not be able to resist even though it is the last thing I need.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Switched to the .41 as my "big" gun a few years ago and this new Redhawk came along at just the right time. I got mine a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier, well maybe after a trigger job.

·
Registered
361 Posts
...I should never come over here...just emailed my dealer and told him to get one on BO for me...

Had a 5.5" many years ago and is one of the few .41s I have sold that I kinda regret... I do however prefer 4" to 5" barrels in DA revolvers...

Bob

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,711 Posts
ChiefTJS, yes indeed, your Redhawk definitely was in need of a trigger job. I couldn't believe the factory SA pull was a raspy 7 1/2 lbs. DA pull was way off the charts and felt like it had sand in the action. I took it to the farm today and ran 6 rounds of your ammo through it then 6 more rounds of the same ammo only with CCI magnum primers. They all went bang and I actually got decent groups at 25 yards shooting in DA only .... not match grade but infinitely better than before. SA trigger pull is now a crisp 4 lbs and DA is very smooth and manageable. I tried going lighter but a spring just 1 lb lighter caused trigger reset problems and may have caused light primer strikes. Anything under 5 lb in SA is great for a Redhawk so I think you will be happy with it. The action is still a bit tight but nothing a box of 41 Mag ammo won't cure.

I haven't worked on a Redhawk for a couple years and found ChiefTJS's 41 Mag had the same changes as a GP100 or SP101 .... a pinless extractor and a screw-in firing pin bushing. The barrel is 4.2" and has the nice plug-in red insert front sight. I'm not sure if the gray laminated Altamont Grips came with it or not but they sure do look and feel good. A really great revolver! If I had an extra K-buck laying around, I'd be interested in a 4.2" Redhawk.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Altamont grip panels were an addition, it comes with the Hogue Bantam grips that I think look good but don't work for me. The trigger was indeed terrible and I'm usually a guy that shoots them the way they come without many complaints. So glad I live close enough to Iowegan to have him be able to take a look at it for me. Very excited to get it to the range and see how it does now.

This Redhawk is my 50th birthday present to myself and I aim to wear myself out trying to wear it out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My new Redhawk trigger pull started out at 8lb 9oz ....single action! After some live fire and dry fire then some cleaning, lubing and spring change and some more dry firing and another 100 rounds downrange SA trigger pull is down to 4lb 15oz.

KO

·
Registered
568 Posts
The Altamont grip panels were an addition, it comes with the Hogue Bantam grips that I think look good but don't work for me. The trigger was indeed terrible and I'm usually a guy that shoots them the way they come without many complaints. So glad I live close enough to Iowegan to have him be able to take a look at it for me. Very excited to get it to the range and see how it does now.

This Redhawk is my 50th birthday present to myself and I aim to wear myself out trying to wear it out.
I like the way you think! I gave myself a .41 Magnum Revolver for my 50th Birthday last year, but it was a S&W Model 58 Military and Police .41 Magnum.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts