Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
There was a member here that had them installed on both his 10/22 rifles...

I would be curious to know if this would make a difference as well, as it seems to work on the larger caliber rifles per the customer reviews.

:confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was a member here that had them installed on both his 10/22 rifles...

I would be curious to know if this would make a difference as well, as it seems to work on the larger caliber rifles per the customer reviews.

:confused::confused:
Yes I saw that guy's pair of rifles in the pictures thread and also saw where he said he hadn't shot with them yet...

I read a lot of the review...there are ten times as many on the Cabella's website...

At this time recoil is not a consideration and it seems a lot of the high power rifles were primarily concerned with a cheap and easy muzzle break...if there were 10 people with my barrel/gun who all said they got this or that from using it I would just roll with that...

It's only $10 and could be very telling as to what and why with regard to barrel/ammo/groups...especially at longer distances...specifically for me 100 meters...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hate to be cosmetic but it just looks really weird?
Looks like something you find in a toilet tank... :D

Personally I wouldn't be inclined to leave it on...just use to learn from...

I will order one the next time I need something from midway...in the meantime I have a lot of pluming supplies...maybe I can find a suitable substitute...

Thanks for all bumps...they are quite helpful...maybe someone who had used one will see this thread... :D

Later...
ZG

·
Registered
169 Posts
Stock 10/22's shoot well at 50 yards, they usually shoot 6" low at 100 yards. However, I have seen a lot of tricked out 10/22's, and most don't shoot much better than a new one out of the box. They look nice, depending on your taste, but they are still a 10/22, and never ment to be a tack driver, or bench gun.

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Stock 10/22's shoot well at 50 yards, they usually shoot 6" low at 100 yards. However, I have seen a lot of tricked out 10/22's, and most don't shoot much better than a new one out of the box. They look nice, depending on your taste, but they are still a 10/22, and never ment to be a tack driver, or bench gun.
Excuse me!! ;) The 10/22's nickname is "Tack Driver"!!:eek:
Tony

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Must be a bunch of poor shooters you've witnessed then. Have shot stock ones at 100yds without much issues and "tricked out" ones... FAR better than stock but that all depends on what is done and what is used as well as other factors many disregard. Many build them strictly to look a certain way and not for the performance. Others... well they can drive tacks. ;)
Of course if you want that very pinnacle of match performance, you go for that from the get-go - something many fail to think about when they make any comparison or correlations - want Hammerli level, you buy a Hammerli.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for bumps guys...they are quite helpful...maybe someone who knows something will see this thread... :D

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ordered a toilet stopper for mine today...don't have high expectations but something I just had to try...you never know...could be the hot ticket... :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
Those cheap damping things do not work. If you really want to squeeze all possible accuracy out of your rig, you need to use a barrel tuner. However, I think that using such a device will probably not do much for a 10/22 based rig.

Now, if you were to go out and purchase a really nice $1500 Anschutz or similar .22 match grade rig, then a barrel tuner is an essential item!

·
Registered
564 Posts
krwada, you may be right. You are certainly on target with the Anschutz. But I'm wondering if you have had some experience with one of those Limbsaver de-resonators?

Sure would like to hear your personal experience about them.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The tuner is nice info but just for the record there is no way I would buy one...not that others shouldn't...it's wayyyyyy too expensive...and wayyyyy too heavy for my application...however just seeing that it exists is valuable to me so thanks for putting it up.

The toilet stopper is cheap and easy and if I am lucky it will dampen mine such that it makes a significant improvement it will be well worth it...

Barrel/ammo resonances are new to me...tuning/stabilzing/filtering resonances and both wanted and unwanted harmonics is something I have more experience with than anything I ever did...

In a laboratory/engineering environment step one would be to identify the frequency and amplitude of the fundamental resonance or in this case 'shock wave would actually be more appropriate term imo) and its harmonics...

Then it is simple matter of trial and error of materials and placement etc until the "problem" causing waves are changed/diminished/dampened/filtered/reduced/eliminated...whatever as long as the results are achieved...

The next step is the hard part...finding a suitable material size/weight/cost etc that will achieve the desired result in a marketable or usable fashion...

Obviously people have done that...they could tell me a ton I don't know...they are not going to...it's all proprietary...I know the drill...

I have done enough of that crap at the highest military/aerospace level to know that in a case like this...cheap/easy is the way to go...and unless someone who did controlled testing with one with my barrel and ammo could tell me in advance what results they got...it is just too easy to stick one on and find out for myself...

So I am...and yes...it will be a lucky thing if it works...however...it's ALWAYS a lucky thing when you stumble upon success in course of failing...also referred to as "trial and error"... :D

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It arrived today...surprisingly...it does not look anywhere near as dumb in person as I thought it would...

Does look like a toilet plunger tho... :D

It is not ordinary rubber...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts