Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this 10/22 new for some shooting fun and squirrely hunttin". It has only had about 150 rounds through the weapon, cleaned and stored in gun safe. Removed it today to have some fun with my son at target shooting. Well, big problem. Bolt will not open. Removed magazine, pressed release pawl, nothing. There is no unfired rounds in the weapon. Anyone have any suggestions? It was thoroughly cleaned prior to storage.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Greetings from the Show Me State.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greetings from the Show Me State.
Thank you. This was my only recourse in attempting to get this darn thing working like it should. Sone wants to do some squirrel hunting and wanted to be sure sights were still good. Well, that didn't work out so gotta do something to alleviate the problem.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Thank you. This was my only recourse in attempting to get this darn thing working like it should. Sone wants to do some squirrel hunting and wanted to be sure sights were still good. Well, that didn't work out so gotta do something to alleviate the problem.
You’ve come to the right place ....I’m not a big 10/22 guy but we have a boatload of members who are pretty knowledge when it comes to the 10/22.

Post your problem in the Ruger 10/22 Rimfire sub-forum....you’ll get more traction there.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
It was working fine when you put it in the safe and now the bolt is stuck? Have you tried field stripping it? Maybe that will reveal the problem. How aggressive have you gotten with the charging handle? I am not familiar with a release pawl on a 10/22. Maybe you just need a bigger hammer. :)

·
Registered
766 Posts
I purchased this 10/22 new for some shooting fun and squirrely hunttin". It has only had about 150 rounds through the weapon, cleaned and stored in gun safe. Removed it today to have some fun with my son at target shooting. Well, big problem. Bolt will not open. Removed magazine, pressed release pawl, nothing. There is no unfired rounds in the weapon. Anyone have any suggestions? It was thoroughly cleaned prior to storage.
Welcome to the forum from central Ohio. I would suggest getting some good penetrating oil, PB Blaster, JB 80 or Kroil if you can find any. Hose the bolt down with the penetrating oil and let it set over night and see if that won't break it loose. Might try heating up the bolt with a hair dryer or heat gun prior to putting the penetrating oil on it. Heat helps the oil to penetrate better. If that doesn't do it I would take the action out of the stock and you can get to the bolt better to use a little more force if necessary to get it broke loose. Just for curiosity what oil did you use to oil it before you put it away?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum from central Ohio. I would suggest getting some good penetrating oil, PB Blaster, JB 80 or Kroil if you can find any. Hose the bolt down with the penetrating oil and let it set over night and see if that won't break it loose. Might try heating up the bolt with a hair dryer or heat gun prior to putting the penetrating oil on it. Heat helps the oil to penetrate better. If that doesn't do it I would take the action out of the stock and you can get to the bolt better to use a little more force if necessary to get it broke loose. Just for curiosity what oil did you use to oil it before you put it away?
I will try just about anything to get this working as it should. I used Remington RemOil prior to storage,and Hoppe's No9 cleaning it. Used many swabs/cleaning cloths until there was no residue showing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was working fine when you put it in the safe and now the bolt is stuck? Have you tried field stripping it? Maybe that will reveal the problem. How aggressive have you gotten with the charging handle? I am not familiar with a release pawl on a 10/22. Maybe you just need a bigger hammer. :)
Sorry, was going in twelve directions. I will try and strip it down to what I can manage to restore. What I call a release pawl is the serrated lever on the left side of the trigger guard for arming the weapon after new magazine is inserted. Thought that might help, but....nah!!!

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,452 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The 10/22 has a blow-back action. It doesn't lock, so there is no release. The bolt hold open is to be used when the bolt is open. Watch a video on takedown or take it to a gunsmith.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I purchased this 10/22 new for some shooting fun and squirrely hunttin". It has only had about 150 rounds through the weapon, cleaned and stored in gun safe. Removed it today to have some fun with my son at target shooting. Well, big problem. Bolt will not open. Removed magazine, pressed release pawl, nothing. and There is no unfired rounds in the weapon. Anyone have any suggestions? It was thoroughly cleaned prior to storage.
Is the Bolt locked open? If it is locked open, Hold back on the Bolt handle then push in and release the bolt catch. If the Bolt is locked in the closed position the the above mentioned methods should work...good luck.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Pull the barrel and action out of the stock and see if that gives you a clue .
I have had certian cleaners / CLP's get all gummy during storage of a few guns ...about 6 to 12 months ... spray some solvents into the bolt area maybe your cleaner has gummied up and stuck the bolt in place.
All the rifles and the two handguns had to have the gummy residue removed ...
it was original Shooters Choice CLP ( it could have been Break Free CLP also) But I don't use either for long term storage or inside the lockworks of revolvers any longer ... the gum was headed to varnish if I hadn't caught the problem .
Gary

·
Pony Soldier
8,641 Posts
Greetings from Nebraska.
I agree post this up in the 10/22 section, you will get expert advice...

·
Registered
875 Posts
How did you clean it?

Did you disassemble it or just lock the bolt open and do it the easy way?

·
One Star
10,210 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
17,166 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts