Ruger Forum banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
There have been numerous people in combat situations both in military and police who've undergone far more then a few rounds to their unprotected ears who aren't totally deaf or suffered profound hearing loss. Many people who have been in gunfights report that they don't even remember hearing the sound of their gunshots in the heat of the moment.

When severe stress enters the equation things change. The body may even be able to detach itself and/or heal itself from such trauma, at least in the short term. I'm not saying it's a good idea to shoot without hearing protection, what I am saying is that in a true life or death situation hearing loss may be the least of your worries.

I carry .357Mag in my revolvers if I know I will be outside most of the time, hiking, biking, camping, etc. Touching off a few of those outside in the open air in a tense situation isn't going to cause nearly as much damage to your hearing as it will to your target. For home defense or if I'm going to be in a confined space like a vehicle I will load up with something significantly less loud.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm gonna come in. In Nam is had been in a lot of fire fights. No one ever even thought of hearing protection then. I've had m60 machine guns going off literally inches from my head, yet I could hear what others were yelling and the directions being given out. I never heard the guns. My hearing today is fine in my right ear but I'm deaf in my left, which was due to a B40 rocket (rpg) going off next to my head. I do have ringing, severely in both ears, but I think when the adrenaline kicks in, even though the vibrations hit us, we unconsciously block them out and our hearing becomes selective.

Kinda makes one wonder why the NVA, ISIS, Mujahideen etc aren't all deaf. Eh?

·
Registered
8,676 Posts
Since Vietnam I have had a significant loss of hearing ($8,000 worth of hearing aids thanks to the VA) and tinnitus all of my life. Nothing ever stops the tones and whistling in my head
I "hear" you brother 50 gunner in Vietnam. After wounded they transferred me to a mech 4.2 plt. Bigger bang once again no ear plugs. They never gave them out in the 68. Have had tinnitus since 68. It's hard to explain to someone that there is always nose in in my head. it's always there. Saying my anxiety level is high would be a understatement . Hear aids from the VA never helped on my 6 pair. And the beat goes on.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I "hear" you brother 50 gunner in Vietnam. After wounded they transferred me to a mech 4.2 plt. Bigger bang once again no ear plugs. They never gave them out in the 68. Have had tinnitus since 68. It's hard to explain to someone that there is always nose in in my head. it's always there. Saying my anxiety level is high would be a understatement . Hear aids from the VA never helped on my 6 pair. And the beat goes on.
It's just a constant high pitch. Worse when it's really quiet. Background noise like TV or radio helps (forget about/drown it out) a little but it's always still there. After 50 years you kinda sorta.. ...still never get use to it. My hearing is fine for my age and I test above average, but the constant ringing doesn't and has never gone away. GI too much boom boom in our younger days.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you have hearing loss because of your service to the US then go to the Veterans hospital and get checked out. You may be due a service connected disibility. I have the same thing and I receive a check from the Gov. every month because of it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Late one summer evening, I was the only one to arrive at a local outdoor range sporting my Remington 700 Rifle in 308. The range was designed with these high wooden walls above to prevent a high angle shot from leaving the range. The first wall was positioned only 15 feet away. I set up on the first table after placing my target 100 yards down range and took my first shot. I forgot to put in my ear plugs. As if not bad enough, the sound echoed back at me from that wall only to make it twice as loud, actually worse, I believe. Ears were ringing all night long, adding to my already tinnitus. That was like 25 years ago. These last few years now I've been wear hearing aids.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
10.5 years Navair, standing next to F8s F4s and A7s in full military power. Worked flight line most of the time. The Navy paid me then, how is getting a check from the VA gonna help anything?

·
Registered
165 Posts
10.5 years Navair, standing next to F8s F4s and A7s in full military power. Worked flight line most of the time. The Navy paid me then, how is getting a check from the VA gonna help anything?
It may pay for your hearing aids, besides a check is better than a sharp stick in the eye.

·
Registered
8,676 Posts
If you have hearing loss because of your service to the US then go to the Veterans hospital and get checked out. You may be due a service connected disibility. I have the same thing and I receive a check from the Gov. every month because of it.
Have a VA disability rating of 100% 2 Purple Hearts & PTSD. They pay for all my med bills Chemo and all operations. All outside Doctors. Also get a nice fat check from them every month.

·
Registered
8,676 Posts
Have VA disability rating 100% 2 Purple Hearts & PTSD. Thy pay for all my med
bill, chemo all operations all outside doctors. Also get a fat check from them every month. Never thought Nam would come in handy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nam Vet - I too have 100% disability rating. One PH and some other medals for Valor (doing stupid things under fire). Worked as a Sgt in 5th Special Forces on an A-team in the 7 mountains region of the delta, 68 & 69. Got tagged in late 69. Yeah, the ringing never stops. People who have never experienced it have no idea how annoying it is!
Welcome home brother. Welcome home.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I read most of the 8 pages of posts tonight.Many spoke of disorientation from firing 357magnum in self defense situations.My question is wouldn't any undocumented residents also have some noise induced disorientation from Same incident? Not being a wise guy. Will now pick up two more pairs of ear protection for the bed room.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I read most of the 8 pages of posts tonight.Many spoke of disorientation from firing 357magnum in self defense situations.My question is wouldn't any undocumented residents also have some noise induced disorientation from Same incident? Not being a wise guy. Will now pick up two more pairs of ear protection for the bed room.
I don't understand all the talk about .357mag noise. The round has been around since the 1930's and was used extensively by police up until the switching over to semi-autos around the late 1980's, it's nothing new. It has one of the the best records as a man stopper out of any other round, even more so than .45acp.

.357Mag is loud for sure but you'd think that with the way people are talking that every cop who ever fired one while on duty would be suffering from profound hearing loss or be completely deaf not to mention having broken wrists. That apparently isn't true so either people are just getting old and less able to handle it anymore or we have a new generation of wimps who can't shoot anything beyond 9mm.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts