Ruger Forum banner

deblueing a GP bad idea??

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  GunBlue 
#1 ·
could a deblued GP100 be made to look like a SS gun? Or would it be a rust bucket afterwards? Is this a terrible idea? thanks

#4 ·
Yup, chromoly/carbon steel. It's not like it will rust, overnight if you remove the blue, but if your time is worth anything, just save a bit more and get the stainless. It'll take a lot of elbow grease and effort to remove the blue and then polish the gun to where you'll be happy with the looks.

If money is an issue, I'd just get the blued version and be happy with it. I think the blued GPs look great in their own way. Your gun and money, though, so your call all the way.

#5 ·
Yup, carbon steel. It's not like it will rust, overnight if you remove the blue, but if your time is worth anything, just save a bit more and get the stainless. It'll take a lot of elbow grease and effort to remove the blue and then polish the gun to where you'll be happy with the looks.

If money is an issue, I'd just get the blued version and be happy with it. I think the blued GPs look great in their own way. Your gun and money, though, so your call all the way.
polish and a rag and so on to do a home job--BUT-- to do the job correctly you need a good bench mounted polishing unit, at least 3 different buffing wheels and different compounds, a good hand and knowledge about how to keep the flats flat and the rounds round.
AND if you got it done right, the next best step would be to have a copper strike appied
then a nice brushed Nickle or hard Chrome finish,

#8 ·
I've seen it done a LOT in cowboy shooting, SASS. Although they are not trying to get a faux stainless look, they are trying to get an aged really old look. Done correctly you can get a grayish patina that holds up with attention to cleaning at proper intervals. I don't think that's what you looking for however. All of my six handguns are stainless as well as six of my black powder mortars. I love the material. Smithy.

#9 ·
With handling, the frame will eventually darken like an old hammer. If that's the appearance you're after, go for it. Mind you, once it goes too far it's virtually irreversible and will not polish out properly for a rebluing, even if you send it to Ruger. It'll certainly never appear like a stainless gun even after a short while, as stainless has a high nickle chrome content that gives it that rust resistance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.