Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering where I could find a decent holster for my new Ruger MkIII 22? It just has the standard barrel, not the bull barrel or anything special. I bought a cheap generic cloth/vinyl holster from the store just so I would have something to protect it. It works ok but it's ugly as sin. I'll only be using this for wearing around the farm (and to the range of course). Just need something comfortable to hold my gun. The cloth one would be ok except that it's too flimsy and moves around too much when I'm walking or doing something.

Thanks for your help! :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered one of those. I really like that it has the clip pouch on the outside, that's a nice feature and one that I hadn't thought to ask for in my original post. Thanks again deputy125.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Your welcome.
This is an old style holster that actually gets better looking (to my eye)as it wears/ages in.
The mag pouch is a new feature that they just recently added. I really like this holster just wish they would LH it. Guess when i get another single-six I could cavalry it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The holster got here today. You can tell it wasn't intended for the Mk III. It was a very very tight fit. I had to really muscle it in there to get the strap over the grip and snapped. I'm assuming it will stretch out a little as it breaks in. I'm going to store the gun in the holster with all the snaps done up to help it along. I'll post pics later.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Some holsters have to be treated like a new pair of boots---just have to be broken in and it takes a little time. Better that it comes in a bit tight instead of loose.:)

A faster way to break one in is to put the gun in a plastic bag and then holstering the bagged gun and snapping it. Leave it that way for a day or two and it should stretch out a few thousandth's just from the added thickness of the bag and get better. This works 99% of the time. Only apply something to the leather to stretch it as an absolute final last resort and be carefull.

Like i said, these holsters actually look better in my eye the older and rougher they get.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Deputy125, thanks again. I'll try this bag trick and see if it works. Just from sitting in the holster for a few hours it was going in easier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
quote:DAVID THE GNOME wrote: I'm going to store the gun in the holster with all the snaps done up to help it along. I'll post pics later.
David, ya might not wanna leave it stored in there too long...
But, if you must...be sure to oil it well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If it's leather, that tight fit will probably pay off a little down the road. Leather has a fair amount of stretch. So I'd see how it goes over a few months of use.

·
Registered
373 Posts
i finally found one on ebay for my MKII, it arrived today, i gotta say Nice Holster. it was alittle looser than i like, so i wet it and formed it to the barrel, hopefully this solves my delima.

·
Registered
401 Posts
This is a tip i got with one of my leather holsters. Holster and snap in the gun, then work/bend the leather edges near the stitching. This relaxed the leather and loosened the fit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts