Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a new GP100 4" in stainless. I've been wanting a shooting 357 as the Python has become a safe queen, and the Single actions don't offer the combat challenge the doubles do. Gorgeous gun, hope it shoots as good as it looks. I wish the GP100 was offered in either 41 mag or 44 special as well as 357/38, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. My model 57 shoots well, but is quickly becoming a collectors gun. The Ruger designs are just a bit more robust and handle tons of hot loads without a blink.:)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Only thing that would make a GP 100 better is if it came with a lifetime supply of ammo. Good choice on a fine gun.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have a 6" and it is my go to gun. But I have been lusting after a 3" or 4". Just can't make up my mind which.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
You'll be more than happy with your new GP. I've loved mine from the gitgo. Great trigger that just keeps getting better as I shoot it, and way more accurate than I am, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I too felt the urge to acquire yet another GP100, mine a 1715 I think? The 3" fixed sighted model. Notice how you use to have to say a Stainless Ruger. Nowadays it's just Ruger as stainless is assumed unless you meant the blued versions that are still available. Yep now I have two of them because that is the only fixed double action they offer (unless you talk about the Novak sort of fixed sighted revolvers, most of which are not CA OK) Going in the safe awaiting some double fisted range use. Smithy.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
In my opinion the GP100 and Blackhawk are the best 357 revolvers on the market today. If S&W did not have the sideplate lock I'd say the 686, but with that lock it makes it useless to me as a serious self defense weapon. Trust me, you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
You guys are killing me. I think I have 5, 357's all S&W. I was a happy gunner but now you have got me wanting all over for a GP100. I even know which one. The fixed sight Novak version with 3 inch barrel. This forum is costing me money:D

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have a blued Wiley Clapp on layaway, and want a stainless model......

Also want a TALO unfluted 6", and a Match Champion.

0 interest in more S&W's.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Congrats on the new 4" GP100...great revolver...you'll love yours for years!

I've had seven (7) of them...my Avatar is my favorite! Can't go wrong with a GP100!

FYI...Meprolight makes a very nice 3-dot Tritium night sight set for the adjustable sight GP100's...and there are a lot of grips available if you don't prefer the Hogues that came on it! The older factory Lett Grips come in 2 sizes (the revolver in my avatar has the smaller set) and they can be a lot more comfortable (to some) than the larger Hogues!

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
You made a wise decission. A 4" GP100 is perfect to satisfy your .38/.357 needs. It soaks up recoil and shoots anything effortlessly. I've been shooting S&W .357s for more years than I like to think about but, the GP draws me to it when I head to the range. Simply put, it is one fine revolver.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Gunman you made the best choice on the 4 inch GP100 in my mind great feel and balance in a gun. Good Luck, someday I might have one but for now my S&W Model 66 and my 3 other Rugers SP101 & LCRX & Ruger Vaquero fill my needs nicely!!!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have a bunch of 4 inch Smith n Wesson 357's but my 3 inch GP 100 is about my favorite.
I installed a Millett orange ramp front sight, a wolf spring kit, and polished up the internals a bit. Lights out shooter. Handles any hot load without issue. Outstanding revolver.
Enjoy your new gun.

·
Premium Member
4,318 Posts
Ruger revolvers and the GP100 in particular are the working mans gun. You can't break them and I've never heard of anybody shooting one to the point of it being worn out. Your grandchildren's grandchildren will still be enjoying your new GP100 long after you're just a note on the family tree. Great choice and congrats.

·
Life is good
4,866 Posts
Congratulations on your new GP100! I really enjoy mine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts