181 - 200 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
7,774 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
How do you get to the middle stuff without becoming Godzilla ...
Lucky i started on the ones that were farther into the layout first, then the outer ones, but i can actually remove a building or two and get onto the layout for some things. Its trickey sometimes but worth it. They say never make the layout wider than 3 ft so you can access the layout, but in places mine is more than that. You have to plan strategically, all i can say.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
The toughest place for me is around my firestation, its far in the back, but i plan to add lights to it soon, just been dreading the process.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Yes its really interesting how they work, and the engineering behind them. I was also surprised to learn that they usually run at 1000 rpm or less. They sound like they are turning up higher when i hear them go by. Thats amazing. We have a generator at work thats a prine mover sane as some locomotives, its loud when its running, but it can run the entire fire station.
Amazing how the sound differs when they are under a load pulling harder. The one that runs a few miles North of here, I can just about tell exactly where it is and what it's pulling. There's a couple coal trains, the late one (middle of the night), usually has 3-4 pulling, an engine in the middle (pusher/puller) and one on the end pushing. The alcohol 2-3, 3-4 pullers and that's it.

What's really cool is when they do a cold start after they've been down for maintenance. Smoke, bang, "cough", sputter, ya'd think they're gonna blow-up.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Amazing how the sound differs when they are under a load pulling harder. The one that runs a few miles North of here, I can just about tell exactly where it is and what it's pulling. There's a couple coal trains, the late one (middle of the night), usually has 3-4 pulling, an engine in the middle (pusher/puller) and one on the end pushing. The alcohol 2-3, 3-4 pullers and that's it.

What's really cool is when they do a cold start after they've been down for maintenance. Smoke, bang, "cough", sputter, ya'd think they're gonna blow-up.
Yes i know what you mean. I can hear them when they go by the house day and nite. If in my bedroom at nite i can hear the horn and tell which way they are going, usually can hear if its a GE or Emd by the motor sound, and different air horns.

Did you know the mid abd rear engines are remote controlled by the lead locomotive? Thats one big remote control vehicle.
I read that you will see more helpers now since it reduces the start up stress and running stress on the knucles and couplers. Makes sense.

I have the frequency programmed into my scanner in the shop. Usually listen to local fire channel but when i hear "Norfolk Southern, milepost 28.8 no defects" I havec10 minutes before it oasses the house.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Some nice Layouts i see here, all as I can say is "you must be RICH" that is a lot of money.
Its an investnent on sanity, how i look at it. I really dont want to know how much i have invested, but it been over time, so not an instant dump of cash. I save some cash, pay all the needs first, and the rest we enjoy since i cannot take it with me. Whats the point in working if you cant enjoy the off time.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Its an investnent on sanity, how i look at it. I really dont want to know how much i have invested, but it been over time, so not an instant dump of cash. I save some cash, pay all the needs first, and the rest we enjoy since i cannot take it with me. Whats the point in working if you cant enjoy the off time.
Tacky ... spot on my friend. Up until 6 months ago I did not own a cell phone. I could justify my shooting habits because the "needs" were paid for and the $$$ I saved from no cell phone. Living within ones means can provide much needed stress relief via our chosen hobbies ...

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Yes i know what you mean. I can hear them when they go by the house day and nite. If in my bedroom at nite i can hear the horn and tell which way they are going, usually can hear if its a GE or Emd by the motor sound, and different air horns.

Did you know the mid abd rear engines are remote controlled by the lead locomotive? Thats one big remote control vehicle.
I read that you will see more helpers now since it reduces the start up stress and running stress on the knucles and couplers. Makes sense.

I have the frequency programmed into my scanner in the shop. Usually listen to local fire channel but when i hear "Norfolk Southern, milepost 28.8 no defects" I havec10 minutes before it oasses the house.
Yup, I knew that from the time spent with the UP. They use to shut down the lead engine to cut back on the noise level once they were up and rolling. Still had to sit in the seat with your foot on the deadman bar.

I have the local programed on my scanner. It says the time, milepost and everything is a-ok . I miss the old caboose days.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Nice !!!! Did you run with DC at all or been DCC the whole time?
In the beginning i was all dc when i had a smaller layout, but when i expanded the new locos were dc. and dcc capable so i gradually went DCC with all, for the sounds, light effects, and smoke units, not to mention being able to run locos on the same track. different speeds, and different directions without isolation blocks. Most of what i have now is DCC but can also run on dc setup, just less features. I can run DC on my lsyout via the 00 setting on my digitrax zephyr controller. So i have the best of both really. DCC wasnt so bad once i understood it.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Yup, I knew that from the time spent with the UP. They use to shut down the lead engine to cut back on the noise level once they were up and rolling. Still had to sit in the seat with your foot on the deadman bar.

I have the local programed on my scanner. It says the time, milepost and everything is a-ok . I miss the old caboose days.
Yes, i listen for the milepost, then take the dogs out for a pee break bout the time the train gets close.

I still keep the caboose days alive on certain trains i run, the atsf and norfolk western.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Heres the general store, barbershop and katies candy creations, i tell the wife thats her coming out since she is blonde headed also.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Aint that the truth for example....

Love that place! I can not say I've ever been there ,but here in my home state, we can claim that we have the worlds largest model train store. Many of you probably buy train parts from them. The Charles Ro Supply Company in Malden,MA ...........is model train heaven!

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Love that place! I can not say I've ever been there ,but here in my home state, we can claim that we have the worlds largest model train store. Many of you probably buy train parts from them. The Charles Ro Supply Company in Malden,MA ...........is model train heaven!
We use to have one like that. It was called Box Car Hobbies. They had a huge club and their last name was Car, hence Box Car Hobbies. They have since retired and the new owners lean more to the RC model side.

181 - 200 of 271 Posts