Ruger Forum banner

201 - 220 of 271 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
I was out and about and snagged a triple header this afternoon hauling grain.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
The local fishing hole...

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Some nice Layouts i see here, all as I can say is "you must be RICH" that is a lot of money.
It's a life long never ending hobby. Amazing what you can accumulate over a couple 2-3 decades of adding small things, building one at a time can add up big time.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Is the mayor of Eastwood named Clint?
Hey how did you know... my favorite actor. He has been known to run people off his lawn with an M1 garand too. 😉

·
"The Real Deal"
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
It's a life long never ending hobby. Amazing what you can accumulate over a couple 2-3 decades of adding small things, building one at a time can add up big time.
Aint that the truth, a little here and there really does add up. That also applies to my firearms and reloading stuff too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very nice find. I don't have a layout so I joined a club. My main focus is to model the Norfolk Southern Steam program from the 80s and 90s, so the Js are my favorites. I have 3 Js, of course they're all number 611. If you have any Broadway Limited Paragon 3 and don't have the Rolling Thunder receiver and subwoofer, it's definitely a game changer to feel the trains approaching. On that note, what brand are your J's and Challenger?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wonder how many people realize those (real) engines are actually electric engines and that's a big diesel engine, running a generator, that runs the traction motors laying down the power to the rail ?
I can relate. I was at an event recently and running a ScaleTrains Union Pacific GTEL 8500. Its prime mover is a gas turbine so it sounds like a jet engine with a single large exhaust exiting the top rear of the engine. I had an individual tell me how impressive it was that the real life locomotives could produce enough thrust to propel themselves and a train down the tracks. Had to explain that the turbine actually ran the generators for the traction motors.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Very nice find. I don't have a layout so I joined a club. My main focus is to model the Norfolk Southern Steam program from the 80s and 90s, so the Js are my favorites. I have 3 Js, of course they're all number 611. If you have any Broadway Limited Paragon 3 and don't have the Rolling Thunder receiver and subwoofer, it's definitely a game changer to feel the trains approaching. On that note, what brand are your J's and Challenger?
The J's are both MTH, i wanted broadways but couldn't find them, so i went MTH. 604 runs better because it has a drawbar, however the proto 3 607 has the 2 pin connector between the tender and loco so it has a few hiccups now and again. The proto 3 sound is awesome, sounds just like the 611 running today. The challenger is also an mth proto 2 but runs well, double chuff on the smoker too. I want a broadway big boy paragon 3 but they are hard to find. I have 12 broadway limited paragon 3 diesels and they are great runners and hard pullers too. So we share a common love norfolk western, norfolk southern stuff. My favorites the dash 8-40c. All my locos are esu loksound v4 or v5 equipped, have a mixture of athearns, atlas, intermountain, bowser, kato and bachmann.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
I can relate. I was at an event recently and running a ScaleTrains Union Pacific GTEL 8500. Its prime mover is a gas turbine so it sounds like a jet engine with a single large exhaust exiting the top rear of the engine. I had an individual tell me how impressive it was that the real life locomotives could produce enough thrust to propel themselves and a train down the tracks. Had to explain that the turbine actually ran the generators for the traction motors.
I have an athearn genesis gtel UP #74 the 4500hp version with an esu loksound v5 in it, dual esu sugarcubes and its really awesome running, love the turbine spooling up!

·
"The Real Deal"
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
I little smoke with a heavy load..

·
"The Real Deal"
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Tacky, nowhere near your level of detail, but here is this morning’s T scale train layout. See my post above for the immediate future of HO in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see the oldest one is interested in that fire engine, thats how i started. (y)

·
"The Real Deal"
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
I don’t know what you are talking about.

I wish i had a dollar for every curious kid i have helped onto a fire engine, i would have a bigger gun collection, and bigger model railroad. My little girl has a pink fire engine, i get whacked with the aerial a few times a day. Its bad when both me and the wife are both career firefighters, i stepped on a little ambulance last night in the dark on the way to the kitchen......it went to squalling, i went to swearing.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
We have a great volunteer township fire department out here. This was last year at our plat picnic. They have also been doing parades for kids birthdays during this shutdown when we can’t have parties.

If my boy wants to be a firefighter, he is my full support. But he loves heavy equipment. A plus in the company I have been at for the last two years he has been able to see and ride in some pretty big pieces of equipment, things like Cat 988 loaders and climbed around some decent pieces of material processing equipment. So we will see what he does.

But for now it’s expose him (both boys actually) to as much as I can and encourage (questionably) healthy activities such as trains and shooting.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
We have a great volunteer township fire department out here. This was last year at our plat picnic. They have also been doing parades for kids birthdays during this shutdown when we can’t have parties.

If my boy wants to be a firefighter, he is my full support. But he loves heavy equipment. A plus in the company I have been at for the last two years he has been able to see and ride in some pretty big pieces of equipment, things like Cat 988 loaders and climbed around some decent pieces of material processing equipment. So we will see what he does.

But for now it’s expose him (both boys actually) to as much as I can and encourage (questionably) healthy activities such as trains and shooting.

I plan to do the same with mine. I hope mine have great jobs and makes more money than a firefighter does. If she decides to follow in her father and mothers footsteps i could be ok with that, as long as she is healthy and safe.

She will be taught safe firearms practices. and how to shoot abd clean them all.

But she already loves the trains i have, the little world i have built, and i have the inner childs joy of sharing it with her, and excitement.

I am working on deuces cycle shop, installing nano leds, so i will post it when its complete.

201 - 220 of 271 Posts