Ruger Forum banner

301 - 315 of 315 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Dad could never really do justice to his growing train collection. Everything was (understandable) European, but the biggest challenge was landscape size. A 12'X12' guest bedroom just didn't get it. That was his last set-up of note, and pretty much consisted of mostly track and sidings for his 100+ locomotives and probably close to 1,000 rolling-stock cars (most of which were still boxed). Being an EE, he really enjoyed setting up his layout to run six trains on one loop, in opposite directions with sidings, without manual control. Two or three loops, with some manual intervention to replace trains.
You know us train guys never have enough space for our hobby. I had a 5ftx12ft layout, started over now have a 20ft x 16ft L shape. If i redid it with more space i would do a horseshoe with three seperate loops on the outside kinda like a W. That way i could spread it all out for transitions. Thats just a dream, maybe if i got more space. I can say that since everything is DCC now you have alot of control running several locos at once, operating switches. some guys even have operating gantry cranes, coal dumps. and other operations going on. The crossings are operatred by photo sensors like garage doors, some are even controlled by infrared now days.

Its defiantely something that relieves stress, from being on the fire engine, when i cannot get to the range. I am glad to share it with so many that also enjoy it here.

·
Exalted One
1,691 Posts
Tacky, when I was stationed in Germany (Frankfurt) in the early '80s, Mom and Dad came to visit. Dad said I needed a train set in my BOQ (I wasn't enamored with that idea since it wasn't very big. We settled on an N-Gauge since it was small enough that I could put it up when not used. He also introduced me to the same shop owner where Dad - almost 30 years earlier - promised that he would only buy Märklin trains from him (something he held true to for the rest of his life). We all enjoyed a Coke, and it was old-home-week for Dad and the owner from almost thirty years earlier. Settle on N-Guage for me due to size layout - by mutual agreement between my Dad and the owner. There had been some discussion about the Märklin Z-scale (tiny), but we all agreed that collision with a dust mote in my BOQ would make for a less-than-pleasurable experience.

So I have my Dad's HO scale trains which will consume the majority of any layout I have, with a smaller one with N-Guage (all European) in the background. All to honor my Dad - if I can ever get it running...First things first is to get that room/level fully climate controlled, insulated, etc. Right now, it is only semi-insulated with just a rudimentary floor, with no climate control. My nephew's son will be ecstatic...

I think I have enough of the old 3-rail track for a good layout from Dad. If not, I will search E-Bay for some more rather than push for the newer track (also 3-rail, but the third rail is somewhat hidden). No computers then...

·
"The Real Deal"
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
Tacky, when I was stationed in Germany (Frankfurt) in the early '80s, Mom and Dad came to visit. Dad said I needed a train set in my BOQ (I wasn't enamored with that idea since it wasn't very big. We settled on an N-Gauge since it was small enough that I could put it up when not used. He also introduced me to the same shop owner where Dad - almost 30 years earlier - promised that he would only buy Märklin trains from him (something he held true to for the rest of his life). We all enjoyed a Coke, and it was old-home-week for Dad and the owner from almost thirty years earlier. Settle on N-Guage for me due to size layout - by mutual agreement between my Dad and the owner. There had been some discussion about the Märklin Z-scale (tiny), but we all agreed that collision with a dust mote in my BOQ would make for a less-than-pleasurable experience.

So I have my Dad's HO scale trains which will consume the majority of any layout I have, with a smaller one with N-Guage (all European) in the background. All to honor my Dad - if I can ever get it running...First things first is to get that room/level fully climate controlled, insulated, etc. Right now, it is only semi-insulated with just a rudimentary floor, with no climate control. My nephew's son will be ecstatic...

I think I have enough of the old 3-rail track for a good layout from Dad. If not, I will search E-Bay for some more rather than push for the newer track (also 3-rail, but the third rail is somewhat hidden). No computers then...
That would be great. I guess i went HO cause that is all i have ever had, so stayed with it. Man if i were close i would give you a hand, thats almost as fun as running trains.

My shop is cinder block with a a frame wood roof. Have an 18000 btu A/C unit that does 15000 btu heat i believe. I type this now from 68 degrees. Worth every penny.

Keep me posted on the progress, and i may be able to share some good vendors with you i have used. (y)

Reactions: RJF

·
Exalted One
1,691 Posts
That would be great. I guess i went HO cause that is all i have ever had, so stayed with it. Man if i were close i would give you a hand, thats almost as fun as running trains.

My shop is cinder block with a a frame wood roof. Have an 18000 btu A/C unit that does 15000 btu heat i believe. I type this now from 68 degrees. Worth every penny.

Keep me posted on the progress, and i may be able to share some good vendors with you i have used. (y)
Don't know where my Lionel trains went to so many years ago. Wasn't a big fan of N-Gauge but must say that (for motive power) they're pretty much universal.

I'll stick with the European model, and the small bit of housing models are all European.

Over the years, Dad was gifted all sorts of Märklin trains from pre-WW-II, as well as some East-German ones (from the cold war - bought in East Berlin). Locomotive power was DC rather than AC so the locomotives didn't work, but the rolling stock worked and connected just fine.

I harbor no grand illusions about the condition of Dad's trains: they've been stored for about 35 years (but I'm sure well packed) in a climate-controlled environment.

Much of the metal back in the '50s and early '60s was pot-metal, which decays. Newer Märklin cars were plastic which wasn't as authentic, but also held greater detail and lasts longer.

But first, I need to get off my butt and install insulation and finish the upstairs. Can't do it myself, and this whole COVID hingy makes me hesitant to call in a bunch of outside folks into a building where I spend much of my time. Same hold-up for the ground floor, where I'm 90% complete (except for drywall) to have a living area with bathroom and kitchen/snack area.

Plus, horses need to be tended to as well as general farm maintenance in an area of Virginia that is called "the Wilderness". For good reason!

·
"The Real Deal"
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Don't know where my Lionel trains went to so many years ago. Wasn't a big fan of N-Gauge but must say that (for motive power) they're pretty much universal.

I'll stick with the European model, and the small bit of housing models are all European.

Over the years, Dad was gifted all sorts of Märklin trains from pre-WW-II, as well as some East-German ones (from the cold war - bought in East Berlin). Locomotive power was DC rather than AC so the locomotives didn't work, but the rolling stock worked and connected just fine.

I harbor no grand illusions about the condition of Dad's trains: they've been stored for about 35 years (but I'm sure well packed) in a climate-controlled environment.

Much of the metal back in the '50s and early '60s was pot-metal, which decays. Newer Märklin cars were plastic which wasn't as authentic, but also held greater detail and lasts longer.

But first, I need to get off my butt and install insulation and finish the upstairs. Can't do it myself, and this whole COVID hingy makes me hesitant to call in a bunch of outside folks into a building where I spend much of my time. Same hold-up for the ground floor, where I'm 90% complete (except for drywall) to have a living area with bathroom and kitchen/snack area.

Plus, horses need to be tended to as well as general farm maintenance in an area of Virginia that is called "the Wilderness". For good reason!
I totally understand, everything is crazy right now with this covid mess. Hopefully it will get back to normal soon for all of us. Until then will just keep running trains.

Reactions: rmichael63 and RJF

·
"The Real Deal"
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
I did a power move tonight (3) NS SD80MACS, (3) UP SD90MACS, for a total of 15000Hp +18000Hp, 33,000Hp total. (y)

Reactions: rmichael63 and RJF

·
"The Real Deal"
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
I was making a delivery to Dupont today, my pops worked for them 38 years, so he was surprised when he saw my rail cars with the dupont logo. He said i have climbed on one of those cars.

Reactions: rmichael63

·
"The Real Deal"
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
Guys i wanted to tell you i have been slacking sort of. Had several bills that had to be paid,xso i have not added anything new to the layout. but i am planning to do more soon. Just been runniing trains and enjoying it for the most part. But i will up date the thread more, soon i plan.

Im planning to add another set of crossings, more vehicles, some new motive power too. BLI has released the UP 4-8-8-4 BIG BOY so im looking to snag one. Stay tuned. (y)

But i do have some photos of real locos running locally to add.

Caught this UP consisted with a few NS engines..

·
"The Real Deal"
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
Running long nose forward.

Triple header..

Waiting to be used

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Guys i wanted to tell you i have been slacking sort of. Had several bills that had to be paid,xso i have not added anything new to the layout. but i am planning to do more soon. Just been runniing trains and enjoying it for the most part. But i will up date the thread more, soon i plan.

Im planning to add another set of crossings, more vehicles, some new motive power too. BLI has released the UP 4-8-8-4 BIG BOY so im looking to snag one. Stay tuned. (y)

But i do have some photos of real locos running locally to add.

View attachment 145603

Caught this UP consisted with a few NS engines..
View attachment 145604

View attachment 145605
Bills to be paid? I hate when that happens ... puts a real damper on things that's for sure!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,843 Posts
We had a train derailment here two days ago with a subsequent fire. At one point it was designated as a four alarm fire.

I thought of you Tacky - trains and fire. I believe it was a Union Pacific train and there was a lot of response to the scene but it was very difficult due to lack of access to the fire over the water. I'm pretty sure they don't have fire boats here in the desert. The bridge partially collapsed from this so it'll be a long time getting that line restored to service. Thankfully there were no serious injuries and no deadly chemical spills.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
Bills to be paid? I hate when that happens ... puts a real damper on things that's for sure!
Yeah it happens, car insurance, tags, power bill ( a/c has run constantly due to it being HOT) You name it. I hit a deer the other night while going to help a friend too. I never let off the gas or swerved ( i know better) and did $700 in damage to my gas saver. Since i only have liability on that vehicle gonna come outta my wallet. Always something.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
We had a train derailment here two days ago with a subsequent fire. At one point it was designated as a four alarm fire.

I thought of you Tacky - trains and fire. I believe it was a Union Pacific train and there was a lot of response to the scene but it was very difficult due to lack of access to the fire over the water. I'm pretty sure they don't have fire boats here in the desert. The bridge partially collapsed from this so it'll be a long time getting that line restored to service. Thankfully there were no serious injuries and no deadly chemical spills.

View attachment 145617
I saw that that was craxy. Definately a hard fire to try to extinguish. We have a fireboat at work but one wouldnt be nearly enough for that wreck. You know i always talk about train wrecks due to they always are in areas where you cannot get to them with trucks, attack lines. or anything else. There is never fire hydrants around niether. Huge amounts of baf stuff being transported too makes it even worse.

We have 2 long bridges where i work for rail traffic. They both have swinging sections that are normally open to allow boat traffic through. One bridge is probably 1to 1.5 miles long. Other is probably 400 yards long. Which makes things complicated since when we get dispatched to a water rescue call we have to determine if a train has the bridge closed and where we have to put the boats in. We have 6 boats dedicated to that type of emergency.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
Here is the long trestle i spoke of. I heard a story of many years ago their was a house built on the middle of that bridge RR owned. It caught fire, and hand lines had to be dragged out there. It burned up, and was never rebuilt. I wouldn't want to have ti deal with that being its over a mile long.

If you look at the left of that picture you can see the identical grain silo i modeled the one on my layout after. Its been demolishef since tbis picture was taken.

301 - 315 of 315 Posts