Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a decision to make and here are the known factors.

I currently own and reload for a Redhawk 45 Colt

I would like to own a lever gun in 45 Colt to go with it

I would use it for deer hunting and an all around farm gun.

My LGS has a Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt on the shelf for $729

He also has a Rossi 16" blue 45 Colt for $459

I have the cash for either

So here are my thoughts
The Henry is a really nice gun although the 20" barrel is a little long but I expect the quality is top notch

The Rossi saves me some money and the 16" barrel may be a little easier to lug around the farm.

Is the quality that much better with the Henry?
If I use it as a farm gun is it going to severly detract the value?
Am I going to cry when it gets scratched or is the quality worth that much more.

What do you all think?

Thanks for your input
Bob

·
Registered
630 Posts
I shoot a friends .44 mag henry a lot and really like it and i feel that it is quite accurate, but I have never handled a Rossi. I would see how the actions and triggers feel to make my choice. as far as weight goes, A good sling for carrying the gun would make the henry not seem so heavy.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The Rossi is a copy of a Winchester model 1892 I like the action and have owned several. I have a Henry in a different cal.:
I would choose the Rossi for a farm gun. My Henry is so nice i would hate to scratch it. The Rossi is one of my wish i kept that guns.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
All nice rifles but you are over looking the best rifle and that's a Marlin Model 1894 that you can get in .45 Colt. The Henry is good but heavy the Rossi ok but the Marlin is head & shoulders above both!!

·
Registered
998 Posts
All nice rifles but you are over looking the best rifle and that's a Marlin Model 1894 that you can get in .45 Colt. The Henry is good but heavy the Rossi ok but the Marlin is head & shoulders above both!!
I agree with the above post, I too like the Marlin here. If you must choose between the Rossi and the Henry alone then I would suggest the Rossi for your intended purpose. I believe Rossi has been aquired by Taurus which I know to have top notch customer service and outstanding quality (not like the old days!)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will all these rifles handle Ruger only Loads?

Henry
Rossi
Marlin

Right now the Rossi looks like it will be what I end up with due to the weight.
The Henry is pushing 8 Lbs versus the Rossi at 5 Lbs with the Marlin somewhere in between.

I would be more likely to pick up the Rossi for luggng around the farm.
I afraid if I got the Henry it would end up being a safe queen and I would rather have something that I will shoot more often.

Bob

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I decided on the 16" Rossi but it had been sold.
He was able to get one on order and it should be in later this week.

Thanks for all the input

Bob

·
Registered
760 Posts
I personally have the Marlin Cowboy in 45LC and it's truly a marvelous gun. I have heard stories about Rossi not being as good as a Henry but everyone has their own opinions. If I had to make a choice it would be the Henry if money isn't a factor, I just like the looks and feel better with the Henry.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Henry, Rossi, Marlin. Why no mention of Winchester? I have one with a twenty inch barrel, American made. I also have a Puma/Rossi in .45 Colt.
I like the latter I speak of because it is the 92 model with brass frame, dark crescent style walnut rear stock with brass end for-end stock and stainless 24" octagonal barrel. I love this gun.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Henry for my money. ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The decision has been made and the winner is
Rossi 92 16" barrel Stainless with Walnut stock and forearm.
It is currently on the way to my LGS from Hinterland Outfitters.

Thanks for all your input.

Bob

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Finally Got It

Was able to shoot it today
Took 4 shots to get it on at 25 yards offhand.
I think I'll keep it!!!:D:D:D

Thanks for everones input.

Bob

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Henry, Henry or Henry, in that order. I confess to never shooting the Marlin, but I thought the fit and finish was SO much better on the henry. If I could get the Winchester for the same price, I just might be argueing with myself, but I doubt you can. The Henry's I own are all excellent shooters AND awesome lookers. I can live without the looks, but it sure don't hurt.

As a last thought, if you ever decide to sell or trade the Henry, it will be worth more and you will get it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts