Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my 582 Mini 14 Ranch Model Saturday. Haven't been able to get to the range to put the first rounds through it yet :(.
I would appreciate some input on which scout rail, the Amega or the Ultimak, I should purchase. Other than a $20 price difference, they appear to be similar.
Any pros or cons on these two particular models?

Thanks

Chip

·
Exalted One
1,787 Posts
Chip, Sandog will likely chime in, but as I know it:

The Ultimak provides the lowest profile, so using iron sights, you don't have to look through a channel. The Amega provides a channel on its rail to allow for use of iron sights.

The Ultimak, from an appearance perspective, looks more like it belongs. The Amega does provide a means for mounting accessories at a 45 degree angle, while the Ultimak doesn't (unless you had a tap-and-die set readily available).

Warning: I own neither at this point, but will invest in an Ultimak in 2016 sometime. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Chip,
I went thru the same thing not that long ago. I ended up with Ultimak for the low profile. I really like it as well.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sandog has posted many pictures of his setup. The Ultimak paired up with the Burris Fast Fire III and the AR protective mount. As far as I'm concerned that setup is aces. I wouldn't waste a second thinking about buying anything else. Even if you were going to mount a scope I'd still get the Ultimak.

He'll probably be along shortly.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think one advantage with either may be additional barrel "stiffness" my older model mini 14 ranch seems to have benefited with the addition of the amega mount. I like this set-up with a Bushnell red dot in a forward/scout position.

I can't use the iron sights with this combo, but on the other hand my older eyes are making iron sights an increasing challenge.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think one advantage with either may be additional barrel "stiffness" my older model mini 14 ranch seems to have benefited with the addition of the amega mount. I like this set-up with a Bushnell red dot in a forward/scout position.

I can't use the iron sights with this combo, but on the other hand my older eyes are making iron sights an increasing challenge.
My 65 year old eyes are definitely finding iron sights more and more challenging.
I am definitely leaning towards the Ultimak for red dot placement and use a CG& G rail for my scope. Will mount both with quick disconnect mounts for ease of removal and remounting.

Thanks to everyone thus far.

Chip

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Chip, Sandog will likely chime in, but as I know it:

The Ultimak provides the lowest profile, so using iron sights, you don't have to look through a channel. The Amega provides a channel on its rail to allow for use of iron sights.

The Ultimak, from an appearance perspective, looks more like it belongs. The Amega does provide a means for mounting accessories at a 45 degree angle, while the Ultimak doesn't (unless you had a tap-and-die set readily available).

Warning: I own neither at this point, but will invest in an Ultimak in 2016 sometime. Hope this helps.
Well said, RJF. I prefer the Ultimak for the reasons stated above. The Amega does allow for mounting a light or laser on a small rail, but this can be done on the Ultimak as well, with some modification.
My photobucket account isn't recognizing me for some reason, so I'll have to put up a few small pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well said, RJF. I prefer the Ultimak for the reasons stated above. The Amega does allow for mounting a light or laser on a small rail, but this can be done on the Ultimak as well, with some modification.
My photobucket account isn't recognizing me for some reason, so I'll have to put up a few small pics.
Thanks for the reply sandog. Just finished ordering the Ultimak from Brownells.

Chip

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks nice sandog. Thanks for the pics. Now have to wait for delivery next week. Hopefully I will be able to go out to the farm and get the first rounds fired next week.
On a scale of 1-10 how difficult was the install?

Chip

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Very easy. You just put it over the barrel, screw the bottom half of your gas block to the front of the Ultimak„ and fasten the band that goes around the barrel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well good and not so good things have happened. :( Received some goodies in the mail and from FedEx today. Got my Ultimak rail, new bushings from ASI and a Nikon Force scope from Amazon.
The rail looks great and I can't wait to install it tonight and replace the gas bushing.
Now the scope is a different story. Went to look through it and the reticle appears to have broken off inside the tube.
So, went on Amazon and filed a return and replacement. The replacement will be here Monday. Good service. Just crossing my fingers the next scope is un damaged.

Chip

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Too bad about the scope, but good CS from Amazon for getting a replacement to you so soon. They are tough scopes, must have been a hellofa blow to break the reticle loose.
I know I've said this before, but every time I look through my Force I am way happy at how bright and clear it is. I originally bought it for my "Scout" Mini, but needed a Scout scope for my GSR for now, so it is being used on that.
By entering my load data on Nikon's SpotOn website, it is easy to determine what ranges the holdover circles are on at. Nice to have two quick holdovers for mid ranges, and the point where the post changes thickness at the bottom is usually good for 450-500 yards.
A heads up on the eye relief of the Force XR. It has a listed usable eye relief of 9 to 30 inches. Using it on a pistol would be about 24" from your eye. Using it on an Ultimak or other rail over the barrel means you will have it around 9 to 10 inches from your eye.
At the lower and middle powers, say 2.5x to 6x, you can have your eye just about anywhere on the stock and get a full view from the scope. I usually leave it on 3 to 3.5x when hunting. At 8x I find I have to move my head a bit closer to the scope, maybe a half inch. I don't find this to be a concern because if I'm zooming to 8x, the target is a ways off and if I have time to turn the zoom ring to 8x, I have time to move my head forward a bit.
While reading some reviews on the scope before I bought one, a reviewer mentioned that he found he could "tweak" and fine tune the eye relief by small adjustments of the quick adjust eyepiece focus. I tried it, and realized that by turning the focus ring slightly, and moving the scope around on the rail, you can get the scope's view just where you like it. You will probably find you need to get the scope as close to the receiver as you can in order to make use of the 8x setting. Look at the pic as to where I have the scope, almost touching the receiver ring (BTW mounted with medium Warne Q.D. rings).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks sandog. I am very pleased with Amazon's quick response. New scope is already on its way and I have 30 days to return the damaged one.
Also, thanks for the info concerning mounting location and eye relief. All will be useful when I install this coming week. Your pictures are invaluable.

Chip

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got everything installed today. New scope will be here Monday or Tuesday.

Chip

1 - 17 of 17 Posts