Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my Lc9 in June of 2012. I've only gone to the range about 4-5 times with it ; shooting about 100-200 rounds each time. Yesterday I went out loaded it up, and when i fired it. It shot, chambered a round, and the a click. After clearing it. i notice the firing pin was on the ground at my feet! Totally shocked i thought the spring must have come out and disappeared into the gravel. Later at home i took it apart to find the spring still in the whole the firing pin came out of. I put the spring around the firing pin and stuck it back into the whole, and it seemed to have stayed in there. Basically i do not know what to do from here. I"m kind of nervous to shoot it again in fear of losing the pin. any help is very very appreciated

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
I bought my Lc9 in June of 2012. I've only gone to the range about 4-5 times with it ; shooting about 100-200 rounds each time. Yesterday I went out loaded it up, and when i fired it. It shot, chambered a round, and the a click. After clearing it. i notice the firing pin was on the ground at my feet! Totally shocked i thought the spring must have come out and disappeared into the gravel. Later at home i took it apart to find the spring still in the whole the firing pin came out of. I put the spring around the firing pin and stuck it back into the whole, and it seemed to have stayed in there. Basically i do not know what to do from here. I"m kind of nervous to shoot it again in fear of losing the pin. any help is very very appreciated
Your firing pin must have broken for it to have come out. Don't use the firearm. The firing pin could potentially cook off the next round without you pulling the trigger.

Contact Ruger for repairs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Kyle: Thanks for sharing this information with us. I'm picking up my LC9 on Sunday and like to be aware of everything that my fellow gun owners experience.

That said, could you possibly post a couple of pictures of the " sheared " / " damaged " firing pin?

Take it easy,

RBA

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
You sheared the firing pin blocker pin that is installed below the lci. Ruger should take care of you.
How would shearing that pin let the firing pin fall out on the ground?

If the firing pin is still in one piece, the hole in the front is too small for the pin to pass thru and the hammer in the back should prevent it from falling out.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
How would shearing that pin let the firing pin fall out on the ground?

If the firing pin is still in one piece, the hole in the front is too small for the pin to pass thru and the hammer in the back should prevent it from falling out.
Thank you for stating exactly what I thought when I read the OP. You have a way of doing that!.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The fact that the OP found the FP at his feet means it HAD to come out the back of the slide. Whether the FP or the retainer is broken, when the trigger is staged, the FP has a clear path, the blocker lever lifter rises, the FP block is disengaged allowing the FP to shoot out the back. I ordered 3 extra retainers in case it happens again to me and was just dry firing.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
The fact that the OP found the FP at his feet means it HAD to come out the back of the slide. Whether the FP or the retainer is broken, when the trigger is staged, the FP has a clear path, the blocker lever lifter rises, the FP block is disengaged allowing the FP to shoot out the back. I ordered 3 extra retainers in case it happens again to me and was just dry firing.
Yup, just looked at my Ruger hammer fired pistols and there would be space for the entire FP to come out the back.

I didn't think the hammer allowed it to do so once the slide was back on the pistol.

I've had the titanium firing pins break and fall out the front.

Good Call.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts