Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mini 14 is denting my cases. My question is it safe to reload cases with small dents in the case body ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
my personal opinion is that brass has a finite life-span. I wont touch anything that has..... problems. Its easy enough to replace. I would pitch the dented ones. I cant speak as to weather or not it is safe. Sorry

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,411 Posts
Willie T, Cases with deep dents will increase chamber pressure so I would have to agree with wisem2540 and ditch them. Cases with light dents won't affect chamber pressure much at all so if you stay on the light side of maximum, there won't be any problems.

My Mini-14 dents the cases but they aren't deep enough to worry about. In fact much of the dent comes out when the case is resized. When fired, pressure will fire form the case and totally remove the dent. Of course another will appear when the case is extracted.

Pictures would be nice ... we might be able to give you a more defined answer.

·
Registered
521 Posts
It'd be MUCH easier to give an answer if you posted pics.

Heavy dents are a no-go, but light dents will "pop" out when fired.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Heavy dents have creases which basically works the case like wigglin a wire to break it .

How much did it wiggle ??? & how much pressure will it stand this time ????

Kinda like askin when a lite bulb is gonna blow , just no definite answer .

Maybe have the ejector looked at or replace it ??

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
My mini 14 is denting my cases. My question is it safe to reload cases with small dents in the case body ?
I had wondered the same thing when I noticed the small dents in almost all my cases that were fired in my Stag Model 1.

In the research I have done - small shallow dents should not be a problem. Mostly like caused by the cases hitting a sharp edge on the case deflector. I have seen cases that had very deep and sharp crease like dents and those I would probably pitch.

Here is a photo of the brass ejected from this particular weapon.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My mini did the same thing until I installed an adjustable gas block. Now it doesn't dent or throw the cases 50 feet any more. A reloading friend who helps me with my reloading doesn't worry about small dings like that except in his rounds he wants to drive tacks with.

·
Registered
440 Posts
They are not bad enough to cause a pressure problem. Those dents are in the same spot and look to be hitting something on the rifle as they are ejecting like a scope or ring (if you have one on the gun) or hitting the edge of the receiver as they are coming out. Check for an area on the gun if you see any brass markings where they are hitting.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
I didn't double check once before starting to shoot my sr556 and had the regulator set at 3 (max). I was one position in from far right on the line and all my brass went in the woods. When I found it every case had a hell of a dent. Dialed it back to 1 and it leaves a mark from the defector but no huge dent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts