Ruger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
23,406 Posts
I bought a Bond Snake Slayer a couple years ago and then added a 44 Spl BBL. it's a hoot to shoot and I carry it for snakes in FL.

I would imagine that Davis should handle those 22 mags pretty easily and looks like it could be carried as a backup, Custers last stand CCW.

·
Registered
336 Posts
In the early 90s I had that exact gun, in .22lr.......it was a fun little shooter, and remains the only gun I ever sold. Kind of wish I hadn’t sold it, but...

Build quality was pretty good in my amateurish opinion, and held up well, but I only put maybe 200 rounds thru it.
Accurate? Well............not so much past 10-12 feet........at least in my hand.

Why did I sell? The kids were transitioning from babies to toddlers, and I had locks on my other two firearms at the time (hadn’t felt the need for a safe up to that point.)
Wife said “get a safe, or get rid of the gun.......looks too much like a toy anyway”!

She was right of course.............money was tight.........sold the gun for more than I paid.
I eventually got a safe as my small collection expanded a bit.
I see them (Davis Derringers) around every now and again on GB and other places, but have no real interest in owning one again.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
That is a Sweet little rig ... 22 magnum , double bbl derringer and leather holster with spare ammo loops .
To me that would be the perfect setup for the little guy .
Worn on belt while fishing ... great for snakes ... So light and compact you wouldn't even know it was on your belt.
And the 22 magnum is nothing to sneer at if something a little larger on two legs threatens you .
Thanks for posting
Gary

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Some of you guys evidently are pretty accurate with those things. Just how close do you get to a snake, with one of those with hopes of "one shot, one kill"?

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
IMO, if you're thinking about a derringer in .22WMR, you'd be better off with an NAA Black Widow with a smaller bird's head grip. It's tiny, easy to shoot, very accurate at 25 feet (real sights), and it has 5 shots.

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,581 Posts
I have yet to use my Bond Arms .357/38 Roughneck on “Johnny No Legs,” but the time will come, I fear. Six Copperheads last year in the garden or with our stock. With a pocket holster, a derringer is easy to tote.

·
Administrator
23,406 Posts
Some of you guys evidently are pretty accurate with those things. Just how close do you get to a snake, with one of those with hopes of "one shot, one kill"?
Don't know about one with 22 shotshell but with the .410 and # 6 shot there aren't many holes in the pattern at 15' with my Bond.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I used to have that same gun . It was unreliable and I ended up giving it away . I'm one and done with Derringers .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts