Ruger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
don't really know where else to post this, so i'm assuming here is ok.

so instead of going to the clark county range today, i went out to BLM land that i've been told by knowledgeable folks is legal for shooting. drove out into the desert and pulled off the highway. parked about a hundred yards from a family who was doing some shooting and introduced myself and asked them about the area, etc. they confirmed that it IS legal to shoot there, they've been shooting there for 6 years (the ground is littered everywhere with spent shell casings etc.), told me where they knew people were shooting, and in what direction, suggested where i might drive into, and wished me a nice day. AWESOME! drove in, did some shooting on my own (took a little bit of everything i've got-- the 12ga, as well as the 9mm and 22takedown since i've felt like i've been neglecting those a little bit since i got the remington 870). had some fun, shot some targets, shot some plastic water bottles, shot some junk other people had left around shot a few partially broken clays i had in a box, etc. good time all around. HERE'S THE KICKER: i could hear other people shooting the whole time, and as much as i liked the freedom of being off the range with all its rules and all, it did make me a little nervous AND what made me more nervous about going back again was that when i was leaving and driving out, a truck with three guys had pulled over uproad from me and were shooting across the road i had to travel. i couldn't tell until i was within about 200 feet of them that they knew i was even there, then they stopped, pointed their firearms up and congenially let me pass, no problem. BUT as i passed i realized where they had setup in relation to the family i originally had stopped and spoken to... these guys were shooting uprange from them and a couple hundred yards laterally. in other words an unintentional fire off to the right about 60 degrees would have been right around those folks. i REALLY want to go back there for the feeling of shooting freely in the desert, but the safety risks are feeling pretty big right about now.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hello? thoughts? anyone? bueller?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I might use the location again...but look for an area with better vision of fields of fire and access to an exit road that isn't under fire.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't go near it
that was my initial reaction, too. frankly scariest shooting environment i've ever been in, BUT i did really love the freedom of it.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I might use the location again...but look for an area with better vision of fields of fire and access to an exit road that isn't under fire.
that's kind of my current thinking-- better field of vision, AND going when minimizing other traffic, ie, early in the morning, off days, etc. when it's virtual lock no one else will be around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts