1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I drilled & taped my old, but still like new standard auto
for a weaver rail. My thought was there is nothing to lose, it's not a rare
piece by any means.
Well I like it so much i'm thinking of doing the same thing to a mark ll.
The question being, am I going to devalue this or future mark ll's with d&t.
My work is good , I am a journeyman machinist, but am I taking away value.
Not that I need another scoped or reddotted handgun, but I am curious.

thank you Anita

·
Registered
78 Posts
if you are really worried then get a paclite upper. it is drilled and tapped and also threaded for silencers/suppressors. you can just put the old upper on it when you sell it (unless the buyer also wants the paclite). but i dont see much devauleation in drilling and tapping a mark2.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I think generally speaking drilling and tapping a handgun frame does lessen the value regardless of the quality of the workmanship. Poor workmanship even more so. In this specific instance I can't say to what extent you would affect value. If it's not a rare or unusual piece in like new condition and you want to scope it I say why not. But that's just my opinion.....

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
if you are really worried then get a paclite upper. it is drilled and tapped and also threaded for silencers/suppressors. you can just put the old upper on it when you sell it (unless the buyer also wants the paclite). but i dont see much devauleation in drilling and tapping a mark2.
X2 The paclite will give you a much better upper IMO.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not worried just looking for a consensus to base my plans on.
another upper is not in my future.
anita

·
Registered
342 Posts
when people drill and tap a gun, its usually to achieve a goal at the time with no concern about value. what you need to say to yourself is....is what i want to achieve worth more than this gun? odds are, it is, so a gun gets drilled.

then 20, 30, 40 years later, your gun becomes valuable, and whoever has your gun at that time in history remarks...why on earth did the owner drill this valuable gun????

you see this all the time with winchester model 70 or 94 owners and mauser owners that sporterized guns back in the late 40's after the war. even more so with model 12 shotguns or even worse, model 21's.

obviously, hunting an having a great time with a great gun back then was worth more than the gun, so it was easy for them to do it and to not worry.

same today. people that want to save guns for future investments dont take them out of boxes.
sounds to me your gun was bought to have fun and shoot.

so drill away.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That no drill mount is something on the plate here.
I used the weigand d&t mount on the old standard.
also looking at the fiber optics as an option for the mark ll.
They look interesting.
More opinions are welcome.
thanks alot anita

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I drilled and tapped my Mark II, or I had it done by a Gun Smith with the proper jig and it is awesome. looks factory done and I don't care about deprecation, I Love the gun. My favorite gun of all time.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,423 Posts
Later production MK IIs were drilled and tapped so I really doubt you will devalue your MK II. I would use the standard Ruger base so the hole alignment is exactly the same as factory D&T models.

Just a note on collectability ... Ruger made a gazillion MK IIs so there is very little collector value but they are still bringing more money than when new ... assuming they are kept in excellent condition. Only an expert would know your serial number was before Ruger started D&T at the factory.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Go for it. MKIIs bring as much or more than MKIIIs because they lack the lawyer proof gadgetry of the MKIIIs, which many folks find objectionable. To the right party, the fact that your MKII is drilled and tapped, provided you did a good job, could even be a selling point in its favor.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Speaking from a buyer's viewpoint, I wouldn't mind a Mark I or II drilled and tapped just like the factory does the current Mark III; the same hole locations and thread size. Whether or not the mount was still on the gun when I bought it, having the filler screws included would be nice.

I have especially seen a number of Winchester 94s D&T'd on the side for various mounts that were no longer with the gun, and likely no longer available? That is somewhat ugly with no good fix.

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
Go for it if that's what you want. I never worry about resale because I never sell my guns.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Go for it if that's what you want. I never worry about resale because I never sell my guns.
Pretty much the same here mate.
They're all in original condition though all the same..... :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Later on when you decide to sell, there will be buyers who will not buy because it is not a factory drill and tap. There will be others who will buy for the very reason that it is drilled and tapped. Don't worry. Shoot it and be happy. Its not like you've destroyed the holy grail of Rugers, what ever that is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts