Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just happened to notice this rough looking Single Six 22 LR in the display case while visiting our local gun shop, yesterday.

To my delight, turned out to be an Old Model and going on memory from the looks of the serial number, probably an early 60s gun. (Turned out to be a late 1960 production gun.) The gun was priced to sell because it had a lot of blue missing in patches.

I've seen this on guns, before. It's often caused by blood being left on the gun, which tends to remove blue if not cleaned off, promptly. Indeed, this was the case, as I could still see flecks of blood, here and there. All in all, not a gun that, in terms of appearance, would set mouths to drool.

First impressions, though, can be deceiving and this diamond in the rough is a good example. LOTS of positives upon closer inspection.

Externally, very little, if any pitting. Just loss of blue, nothing a little cold blue wouldn't cover up. The black grip frame finish was mostly intact, too.

Walnut grip panels pretty good. Will likely leave them, as is, since this is the old XR3 grip frame and grips not easy to find (not the same as newer Single Sixes.) The usual small dings on the right panel, as one might expect from being carried in a right handed hip holster.

Left grip panel, though, fairly pristine.

Another big plus about this vintage - a steel ejector rod housing, not aluminum. Adds a nice bit of weight for the sake of balance. Very nice!

I bought this gun to shoot, not to admire it for its looks. I love these Old Models. That three click hammer sound is intoxicating. With shooting in mind, I took a closer look at the gun.

Bore was pristine, perfect, in fact. (I carry a bore light in my purse.) Action was tight. Trigger crisp as OM Rugers often are, breaking clean at a very comfy three pounds or so.

A closer look at the cylinder revealed only the tiniest trace of a turn line. Better yet, looking at the face of the cylinder, most of the original blue remained.

My conclusion was that this was a gun that was carried, much, but actually shot very little. Offered $200 for the gun and walked out of the store with yet another great Single Six to shoot (I have a weakness for Single Sixes). Will clean it up and wait for a break in our winter weather to get out to the range. Cabin fever is already setting in. :)

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
NCG well you stole this gun.......diamond in the rough........that's a under statement!!! Dang nice gun give it some cold blue & some oil to purdy it up!!!:D;)

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It helps that we are on great terms with our local shop. That, and 22 handguns and, especially, single action revolvers, are not hot sellers in our area.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Up north of Rhinelander.

I think a lot of it has to do with the more recent emphasis on self-defense and tactical kinds of shooting - think Glocks, M&Ps and such. Those are the big sellers. Even this far north, seeing a good selection of SA revolvers in a store is getting harder to do. Think it's a generational thing, too. Younger shooters in our area, outside of some CASS folks, don't have much interest in SAs. Heck, even rare to see younger shooters at our range with 1911s. Times have changed, for sure.

I might add that the 22 ammo shortage has been a big problem, too. Don't know about other areas, but still VERY hard to get 22 ammo in our area. Pretty hard for a gunshop to sell 22LR guns when they can't even supply ammo. Really has slowed down the sale of 22 guns in our area.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think you are right about the emphasis on the tactical, self defense guns getting most of the attention . I live in a town of less than 3000 people next to a national forest , we have a great gun store , lots of variety . People come from all over to buy guns here and the glocks, springfields , ar15's , sell a lot more compared to more "traditional" pieces . Even with the locals .
First place I head for is the Ruger handgun counter , then smith and wesson's . I probably would have snagged that old model single six myself . Nice find for $200.00 , in my opinion.
I think it's great you carry a bore light in your purse , never know what you might come across I guess .

·
Registered
17,256 Posts
That was a nice find at a nice price, NCG.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Very nice and I would have snapped that up in a second myself!
kinda nice sometimes to not have to worry about that first scratch

·
Registered
524 Posts
Up north of Rhinelander.

I think a lot of it has to do with the more recent emphasis on self-defense and tactical kinds of shooting - think Glocks, M&Ps and such. Those are the big sellers. Even this far north, seeing a good selection of SA revolvers in a store is getting harder to do. Think it's a generational thing, too. Younger shooters in our area, outside of some CASS folks, don't have much interest in SAs. Heck, even rare to see younger shooters at our range with 1911s. Times have changed, for sure.

I might add that the 22 ammo shortage has been a big problem, too. Don't know about other areas, but still VERY hard to get 22 ammo in our area. Pretty hard for a gunshop to sell 22LR guns when they can't even supply ammo. Really has slowed down the sale of 22 guns in our area.

All are valid reasons for the decline. In Marquette, young and old shot .22lr. That was before the great .22 shortage.
And younger shooters do gravitate more towards tacticool than I did.

Now I feel old.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Me, too. :)

Have to say, though, the very first handgun I ever shot and owned was a slightly later version of this very Single Six model, made made in the late 60s and, if I have anything to say about, the very last gun I'll ever shoot will be a single action Ruger, too. We go back a long ways, these guns and I.

·
Registered
12 Posts
love a gun that looks like it has been used

gun looks great and the kind of gun you will use and not freak out if you get a knick or a scrape on it i think you scored big time and a women that carrys a bore light now that's a woman after my heart the only thing my wife says about guns is why do you need so many but I say the same thing to her about shoes :confused:

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,034 Posts
NCG, So ..... when someone says "got a light?", you whip out your bore light and leave them confused :)

Looks like you are catching up with me on Single-Six ownership. I bought a RSS5 back in 1963 (made in '59) .... still have it. I paid $49.95 for it, brand new and it's still never been fired. Sure wish I would have kept the box!

1960 is when Ruger changed from .222" to .224" bore .... about S/N 15,000. Can't tell from your photos if yours is above or below 15,000. Either way, you got a smokin' deal on the RSS5.

Here's about what your RSS5 looked like when it was new. Black hard rubber grips were standard .... walnut grips were a $2 option.

·
Registered
429 Posts
i'm jealous of the great find, north.i;m finding SAs are total fun. i've been playing fast draw lots.
i'll start carrying my bore light in my purse too.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Up north of Rhinelander.

Has the price of the hard to sell .22's gone down much? It sure hasn't here.
The LGS will give you a box of ammo with the gun. How you feed it after those are gone is your problem I guess. I see no real bargains around here.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Congrats on the nice save. I have an eye for anything old that is in it's original "working clothes" it's only original once...I have a '56 Flatgate that I really enjoy shooting..takes me right back to when I was about 19 and going to school and working in a gun shop....had a flatgate then...lot's of jack rabbits went to the mink farmer for food.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts