Ruger Forum banner

Dicks Sporting goods getting out of guns and ammo completely

6K views 31 replies 27 participants last post by  brnwlms 
#1 ·
Didn't know what other forum to post this in...

Stopped in at my local Dicks on the way home last night, out of curiosity, everything gun related is between 10% and 25% off because they are clearing out all the guns and ammo, shooting accessories, cleaning accessories, and not restocking. Even with sales, their stuff wasn't really a deal.

Plastic stocked 10/22 $249, Takedown I think was $349, and mostly everything else they had was shotguns.

All the ammo was overpriced even on sale, and with the 10% off.

I guess my suspicions were true, and the sales guy from a month or so ago either didn;t know they were getting rid of guns, or he was lying to me.

It won't be missed. I got a few decent deals over time, but their corporate policy killed their history and spirit. Good riddance.

#5 ·
I was in one in South Carolina a few weeks back, they had NOTHING - one box of 12 gauge shells. A huge sign where the guns used to be said something like "Guns and Ammunition no longer sold here stay tuned for new and exciting items" or something like that.

It's sad people are bending over to media and threats from politicians.

#6 ·
They have not gotten any of my $$$$ for a couple years now. Bought a couple kayaks there and paddles for the lake house right about the time they went crazy the last time. Never heard the end of it from brothers or a couple friends. They are very convenient where we live too but I will not step foot inside their establishment again.

#16 ·
I picked up a used ERMA EM1.22 from Cabelas yesterday, and including waiting for the one sales guy who had keys in the gun vault, and all the paper work, I was out of the store in less than an hour. I think for a large box store thats reasonable.

Often though I go in Cabelas and there is one guy at the gun counter talking with a newb who has no intention of buying for 25 minutes about laws that he really doesn't seem to know anything about.

#9 ·
I've said it before and I will say it again. I dont shop there, I think I have been in a Dick's once in my life. While I hate their corporate gun control, I hate to see any retailer stop selling guns and ammo. This is the inevitable outcome as the OP said, but it does hurt the shooting sports. Any time you take away options, there is a segment of the shooting community that will really be impacted due to lack of reasonable options. I just hate anything that makes it harder for someone to get in to, or participate in, the shooting sports.

#11 ·
Not defending these big box stores and their decisions to drop guns and ammo from their product lines, but keep in mind that it's not all politics, here, despite what these chainstores might claim. As a former retail manager, I can tell you that guns, and even ammo, have a very slim profit margin compared to other product lines. When you add in the training required for employees to sell guns, not to mention the time it takes for employees to make a gun sale, there's not much profit in it. It's the associated product lines, such as clothing, boots, optics and so on that make the profit. The idea of carrying guns in these stores was to get you in the store to buy those products. Again, it's easy decision to drop guns and ammo for these box stores to make, because they typically weren't doing well with these product lines, in the first place.

They were generally a poor place to buy a gun, anyway. They will not be missed. I've always given my business to local gun stores who know guns and can give you the kind of follow up service you can't get in a big box store.

#12 ·
I never did buy guns and ammo at Dick's, but I did buy other sporting goods - camping, hunting clothing, and bicycle gear.

By pissing on me, they lost all that other business besides guns and ammo.

BTW, Academy Sports opened up a brand new store right down the street from Dick's. Business is booming at Academy, while the Dick's parking lot is almost empty.

#17 ·
Academy is a much better chain overall. Better selection, the stores arent as cramped, well lit, friendlier staff...

#13 ·
Dick(heads) had mostly lost me as a customer even before they turned SJW. It was a reasonable (for my area) place to buy clay pigeons, sometimes promotional shotshells and some fishing lures. I had waited (with numbers of others) at the firearms counter on many occasions, once one of the others waiting there called their office to see if they planned to have an associate pass by that counter any time soon. It was an easy decision to stop shopping there altogether.

Bruce

#19 ·
As far as I'm concerned they went out if business when they screwed everyone on the Black Friday Remington 700 deal about 15 years ago. Haven't been to one since.
I refuse to step foot in known antigun supporting businesses. I wish other supposed "pro gun" folks would do the same. We are ur own worst enemies by supporting these companies with our money.

#24 ·
I feel the same but I have even deeper reasons.

Dick’s started out as a small hometown hunting and fishing store in Binghamton NY, close to where I grew up. It was THE place to go for outdoor sports and the locals were proud of it when Dicks started to grow into more and more local stores. Eventually they got big and moved Corporate offices to Pittsburgh.

I see Dicks now as having abandoned their legacy of hunters and outdoor sportsmen, which is where my disappointment lies. I no longer shop there and haven’t since Sandy Hook and their reaction to it.

#20 ·
I’ve never been in a Dick’s so whether they sell gun or ammo is of little importance to me. I see a lot of you are upset and will never set foot in their store again and I get that. This was a calculated move, they did their research on this, no company does this without knowing what the numbers will be. In other words the firearms and accessories aren’t carrying the stores. I’m sure they will survive without your dollars and mine.

#21 ·
Dick’s customer service drove me away long ago, when they still carried guns. I went for camping and hiking gear then, and the stores gradually had fewer and fewer staff who knew anything, more and more bored teens behind the register. They closed their climbing wall and reduced the quality of outdoor gear.

Cabelas is going the same route. The Red Head clothes are nowhere near as good as their old line of outdoor clothes, and the gun section is shrinking.

#22 ·
They are struggling with the internet as all retailers are, last time I was in one I was looking for a turkey call. The idiot was trying to sell me a duck call because he didn’t know where the turkey cals were.

End up they didn’t have any, seasonal item. Turkey season was in two weeks.

Should be Dicks Suburban Sporting Goods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.