Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did anyone see Mayor Bloomberg on Monday?

I was watching Bloomberg's press conference on Monday ... and was mesmerized by his interpreter for the deaf. Check out her facial expressions and dramatic gestures.

While watching this I began thinking ... am I watching a Saturday Night Live skit? Apparently, many others have had the same thought. :D

Mayor Bloomberg Updates New Yorkers on City's Response to Hurricane Sandy - YouTube

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I understand that when utilised to the fullest, sign language includes facial expression to add inflection to what the interpreter's hands are "saying".

Hands alone could say something that seemed an insult, but the face expressions make it a smart aleck remark. Your face would be your hand's "tone of voice".

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This thread is in no way meant to make fun of deaf people. The purpose is to show someone who is truly unique and talented in what they do. Her facial expressions are the best I have ever seen.

Like I said, I was mesmerized by her.

And yes, we'll probably see a SNL skit about this, but I highly doubt that she will be the butt of the joke. Probably Bloomberg.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
This thread is in no way meant to make fun of deaf people. The purpose is to show someone who is truly unique and talented in what they do. Her facial expressions are the best I have ever seen.

And yes, we'll probably see a SNL skit about this, but I highly doubt that she will be the butt of the joke. Probably Bloomberg.
I thought it was odd that they needed her. Most stations also broadcast for the hearing impaired and its not uncommon to see those stations in waiting rooms where the extra noise would be a problem.

I do remember a skit on SNL where the person signing just yelled louder than the speaker.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts

I was so surprised by her animated expressions of shock, anger, sorrow, and more. I've never seen anyone sign quite like she does.

Last night David Letterman made a joke that Bloomberg has done so many press conferences the last two days that she has to dip her fingers in ice water to cool them off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts