Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,new and stupid member here, I have a new AR556 and came back from shooting it and I made the stupid mistake of running a Hoopes chamber brush with Hoppes#9 down the barrel a few times, Did I do any damage?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi and welcome. I always run a brass brush down my rifle barrels a few times to get any lead fouling out, I use Hoppes or Mil. spec. bore cleaner along with the brush to loosen and remove any buildup, the follow it with some clean patches . I imagine the chamber brush was a bit hard to push through the barrel but I wouldn't think it did any damage. I've used 12 ga. brass brushes to clean .45 cal. barrels after shooting particularly dirty ammo, it hasn't damaged any rifling in them.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
You probably damaged the brush. Did you go from the breach or the muzzle?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi and welcome. I always run a brass brush down my rifle barrels a few times to get any lead fouling out, I use Hoppes or Mil. spec. bore cleaner along with the brush to loosen and remove any buildup, the follow it with some clean patches . I imagine the chamber brush was a bit hard to push through the barrel but I wouldn't think it did any damage. I've used 12 ga. brass brushes to clean .45 cal. barrels after shooting particularly dirty ammo, it hasn't damaged any rifling in them.
Ya think!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I've always thought the reason for bronze brushes and soft metal cleaning rods and attachments was to minimize any damage to the firearm's bore and rifling as they are made of softer material than firearm barrels.

Not that I would forcefully and recklessly ram an aluminum cleaning rod down a gun barrel, but any minor or occasional contact with the bore would not be likely to cause any damage.

Maybe, I am wrong about this assumption?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I think you have ruined it beyond repair. If you'd like, you can send it to me and perhaps I can make $5 or $10 off of salvaged parts. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts