Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This looks like a used/demo gun and would like to hear from other RPR owners on the condition there's came in when new. I just bought a "new" 300 win mag RPR from sportsmans guide and stupidly did not look at the bolt before signing for it. Is this how others RPR's came? I hate that I spent $1500 and have no idea how the barrel was treated for who knows how many of it's very first rounds. There was even a little chunk of brass stuck to the bolt face that I removed before I decided to take pics. Is this normal? The finish is worn off of the handle in multiple spots and they dont even come pre-installed....obviously I am stuck with it now, and I am still excited to shoot it!!! Im just not really sure I want to do business with this company anymore is why I ask, but if it's normal, then no harm/no foul. Thanks!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
That gun is definitely not in the condition of new in the box, I bought a RPR and it didn't have any wear markings whatsoever. I have bought a few guns from Sportsman's Guide and have been satisfied with all of them. You can contact them and try to get some resolution but unfortunately after you accept a firearm from your ffl it's kind of given your stuck with it. I don't blame you at all for being upset but hopefully SG's customer service will make it right. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That gun is definitely not in the condition of new in the box, I bought a RPR and it didn't have any wear markings whatsoever. I have bought a few guns from Sportsman's Guide and have been satisfied with all of them. You can contact them and try to get some resolution but unfortunately after you accept a firearm from your ffl it's kind of given your stuck with it. I don't blame you at all for being upset but hopefully SG's customer service will make it right. Let us know how it turns out.
Thanks for the reply, that's what I was scared of...I bought an RDB from them a few months back and stripped it down before signing. It looked great so I didnt even think twice this time around....I cant believe such a large retailer would sell a used gun as new. My ruger American with 80 rounds down the pipe doesnt show this much wear...I have never spent this much cash on a gun, and never regretted a gun purchase until now. I emailed the CS and left a review of the gun on their sight, will update this with what they say, and if they let the review post.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I also bought from the same company, and after inspecting when I picked it up, it wasn't like yours.
Don't know what to tell you, but call them, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update, they weren't replying to my emails in a very timely manner (2 days for the first one, no response to the 2nd) so I just called. According to the CS lady they contacted Ruger. Ruger does 3 test shots with every firearm, but there should be no visible wear. Ruger sells them to some distributor (name is slipping my mind), then sportsmans guide buys them after that. Supposedly they were sending my pics to Ruger who is "more than willing to help". They are supposed to be sending me an email stating this too. Not sure what Ruger can do, but I really want to shoot this thing, just trying to wait until it is all straightened out. What a hassle....I wish I had just looked closer and not been so excited. Crazy how I have been more than pleased with all 3 century AK's I ordered online, but a Ruger is what has given me grief....just lucky I guess, lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The email came in yesterday, here is a copy of it. It sort of seems like they are just making it someone else's problem, I was hoping they would just hook me up with a gift card to make up for what would be a scratch and dent price. I have spent like $3500 with them over the last 3 months, but that's just pennies in their bucket I suppose.

"Hello,

I reviewed your pictures and your concerns and passed them onto our upper management. We were contacted by Ruger customer service who stated that the firearm was factory tested. They test every rifle and then they are boxed. This firearm was boxed, sealed and shipped to our supplier. It then is shipped to us then shipped to your FFL. Never is it opened until it comes to your FFL for your inspection by you and/or your FFL.

I would encourage for you to call Ruger directly just to give them your input on the condition and see if they have more feedback. Your rifle is covered under a full warranty. Their phone number is 203-259-7843

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us."

Enjoy the Outdoors!

·
Registered
888 Posts
The email came in yesterday, here is a copy of it. It sort of seems like they are just making it someone else's problem, I was hoping they would just hook me up with a gift card to make up for what would be a scratch and dent price. I have spent like $3500 with them over the last 3 months, but that's just pennies in their bucket I suppose.

"Hello,

I reviewed your pictures and your concerns and passed them onto our upper management. We were contacted by Ruger customer service who stated that the firearm was factory tested. They test every rifle and then they are boxed. This firearm was boxed, sealed and shipped to our supplier. It then is shipped to us then shipped to your FFL. Never is it opened until it comes to your FFL for your inspection by you and/or your FFL.

I would encourage for you to call Ruger directly just to give them your input on the condition and see if they have more feedback. Your rifle is covered under a full warranty. Their phone number is 203-259-7843

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us."

Enjoy the Outdoors!
I agree there passing the buck, when I bought mine it was sealed box, gun wrapped nicely, with no damage cause when I got it home I field stripped for cleaning.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Yeah that's not on Ruger, someone in between them and you were playing with something that didn't belong to them. And I know from experience that SG doesn't have possession of the firearms they sell. Unfortunately I guess lesson learned about checking it out at ffl. If I were you in the future spend your money elsewhere, you can find lower prices than SG if you do a little searching. Go ahead and enjoy it and if there is a problem with it other than cosmetically Ruger has great customer service and will take care of you. Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree there passing the buck, when I bought mine it was sealed box, gun wrapped nicely, with no damage cause when I got it home I field stripped for cleaning.
Do you happen to remember how it was sealed? Mine was not sealed, I opened the shipping box, which had the Ruger box inside of it. To open that box I just had to pull out the flap and open it up, no plastic or tape of any sort. One of my mags was also open, is that normal?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Sealed may or may not be an indicator. "Most" FFL's, at least those that I have worked with or for, will break the seal and open each and every box in order to visually verify the serial number, even factory sealed boxes. I know its used, but the FFL I have currently been using, has another regular customer who is a collector of Colt firearms and is very picky, very particular, and will send a firearm back at the slightest hint that it is not in the condition advertised. He got a pistol in for that guy once when I was there for a transfer and knowing this guy, he was scared, really didnt want to open it, but needed to in order to verify the serial number to log it into his inventory. In fact, when I think of all the guns I have bought, I cant think of a single one that was sealed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My FFL had not even opened up the outer brown shipping box yet. I cut that open, and the white rpr box had no seal of any sort. No tape residue on the box that I can see either. The gun was not wrapped in plastic, one mag was in a sealed plastic bag, one was in an opened plastic bag (same type of bag). I actually noticed the opened mag but I assumed Ruger used it to test fire. I just tried to give Ruger a ring to ask how it should have arrived but they are closed. I will call Ruger, and then call SG again tomorrow. How much of a pain is it really to switch out guns? I know Atlantic will do it if you are not happy with what you recieved and notify them within 7 days so its atleast possible. I am not even that picky, I just want new to actually mean new, especially with a barrel burning precision rifle. If I wanted a used gun I would have spent less, lol.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Mine was not sealed but that didn't bother me for the same reason Brnwlms stated. But both the magazines should have been in their sealed bags.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Do you happen to remember how it was sealed? Mine was not sealed, I opened the shipping box, which had the Ruger box inside of it. To open that box I just had to pull out the flap and open it up, no plastic or tape of any sort. One of my mags was also open, is that normal?
It was in a sealed clear plastic bag!

You might want to join this website, it's for rimfire rifles and Precision rifles.

https://forum.snipershide.com/forums/sniper-s-hide-rimfire-section/

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
My FFL had not even opened up the outer brown shipping box yet. I cut that open, and the white rpr box had no seal of any sort. No tape residue on the box that I can see either. The gun was not wrapped in plastic, one mag was in a sealed plastic bag, one was in an opened plastic bag (same type of bag). I actually noticed the opened mag but I assumed Ruger used it to test fire. I just tried to give Ruger a ring to ask how it should have arrived but they are closed. I will call Ruger, and then call SG again tomorrow. How much of a pain is it really to switch out guns? I know Atlantic will do it if you are not happy with what you recieved and notify them within 7 days so its atleast possible. I am not even that picky, I just want new to actually mean new, especially with a barrel burning precision rifle. If I wanted a used gun I would have spent less, lol.
This seems like a unit that spent some time on a sales floor and was picked up by prospective buyers. Does that make it not new? I guess that depends on how you define new. Every Ruger I have ever bought, the gun itself was in a clear plastic bag inside the box. Not saying this rifle should have been, but it is a clue in my opinion.

The FFL where I buy most of my guns also opens each box to record serial numbers, so none of them had tape on the box, but they also weren't delivered to me inside a shipping box. I am surprised you did not check the serial number on the gun before taking delivery

·
Registered
10 Posts
My shipping box was sealed. That's because I was at my FFL when it arrived. Usually he opens every box to verify the serial number and records it in his logbook.

But I have had other Ruger products in unsealed shipping boxes.

My RPR was rapped, and sealed. My mags were sealed.

If one of you mags was open, I'm betting the gun was used at some point. It may have been a demo, or a return after use because of an issue. It may have been sent back to Ruger, repaired and placed on shelf. You can always call Ruger and ask if it was ever sent back to them.

But, if it was on display and handled, you could be seeing handling marks. Many times display guns are not handled carefully. They get banged around, parts are hit on other display guns and so on.

This is why I only purchase from my local FFL. Been doing this way for 20+ years. He will inspect each weapon and if there is an issue, it goes back to the manufacture.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well A+ for Rugers customer service. Sportsmans guide told me to call them and they already sent my info. I called Ruger and they had no info, the lady I spoke to knew no one by the name sportsmans guide gave me, and there were no notes under my rifles serial number......but the Ruger rep sent me a shipping label and said to send it in and it will be repaired or replaced. I verified it wasnt just going to be sent back and she said no, they should not come with any visible wear when new.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Glad it's working out for you, Ruger's customer service is the best in the business.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts