Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loaded 500 rnds of 9mm with 115 gr DG coated LRN over 4.5 grs of Titegroup, problem is powder MAX should be 4.3 grs. Scale must have got bumped & stupid me did not notice. Damn......500 rounds!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
I would pull them and reload at lower charge weight.
If you are not a chicken like me you might want to shoot a few to see how they do but I would not!

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Not real sure I'd even try them.
Depending on what gun you used you could end up looking like you've been sprinkled with that chili powder.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You should be good.

·
Exchequer
4,584 Posts
I don't reload so I can't weigh in with any kind of authority.

I do know that accuracy is pretty important. Is .2 grains over typically something to worry about?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
You've probably just got some barely +P 9mm. Not familiar with using that powder but look up what a +P load is and you're probably fine.

Go shoot 'em!

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Personally I’m not sure I’d run em. Titegroup is a fast burning powder, the 9 has a small case capacity and can generate pressures up to 35k. My experience has shown me I can generally find the sweet spot at below max loads using a fast burning powder. I’m gonna go out on a limb here guess that the min/max charge is probably separated by .4 grains at most.........JMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Using in a Ruger American Compact, +P was mentioned & I don't think 0.2 grs over normal max is over a +P load, I may shoot some with body armor on to be ultra safe (kidding).

·
Super Moderator
21,342 Posts
Is the 4.3 a load you have used before?

·
Registered
8,684 Posts
I would not shoot them .2gr over in a small case like 9mm will spike pressure. Start pulling them IMHO.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just looked up your load on loaddata.com. While 4.3 grains is max with a lead bullet, they show 4.8 grains with a speer gold dot jacketed bullet. I would try a couple and see. Better yet, try them in a blackhawk with a 9mm cylinder. I am not familiar with those bullets or the coating, but if pushed too fast, without a perfect fit, I would immediately check for leading.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
QuickLOAD predicts a chamber pressure of 28k psi so you should be safe.
I’m glad there’s a Quick load guy here, I’ll buy it, but as you stated it’s a prediction. (y)

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Just heard "Bunker Biden" ad on TV, he said "Be not afraid"....but he knows nothing, I will try a round & hope all is good!
LOL.......please explain what that has to do with Titegroup and 9mm.......maybe you posted in the wrong thread...?? :p

·
Registered
308 Posts
Why not consult a good loading manual or three, and see what the recommended is?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,321 Posts
Mark, I've found QuickLOAD is pretty close to actual so when it predicts pressure 7,000 psi under max, I think the OP's load is safe.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts