Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before.

After.

To much??????? Pretty much spent the weekend remodeling my work area and updating my Hornady LNL with the bullet & case feeder. Wish I had done this a year ago.

Still got to figure out where I want my single stage presses mounted up at. I have an old Pacific C press for the large rifle case work and a cheap Lee press I use as my trimmer with the Lee Trim die set up for 223/5.56 cases. And I've got to install a set of mini blinds on the windows so folks can't peek in at my stuff now when I'm not around.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Job well done mate..... ;)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Nice and bright and spacious, just like it should be. Lighting is an often overlooked necessity for a reloading bench. I like it!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wow. Great job! You have an awesome setup...a dream come true.

A couple of questions if you don't mind:

1) What are the dimensions?

2) How did you build out the top part of the workbench? 2"x4" across the entire top? What's on top of that?

3) It looks like the only plywood used was for the lower shelf, is that correct?

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. Great job! You have an awesome setup...a dream come true.

A couple of questions if you don't mind:

1) What are the dimensions?

The reloading bench is 24"W X 8'L X 35 1/2" T.

2) How did you build out the top part of the workbench? 2"x4" across the entire top? What's on top of that?

The entire top frame is made of 2"X6"s with 2"X6"s laid flat, screwed to the frame for the top with 1/4" hard board on top of the 2X6s for a smooth work surface. The front legs are just some left over 4"X4" posts and the back is screwed into the wall studs.

3) It looks like the only plywood used was for the lower shelf, is that correct?

Yes, the only plywood is the lower shelf, 3/4" thick with 2X4s for it's frame.
Thanks, it still has a little more work to be done before it's finished.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,028 Posts
Awesome setup falcon, reminds me of mine in a way. I had to rebuild mine after i started loading for the 50 bmg, the old bench was not strong enough, so now at my new place my bench is 1.5" thick, 2 pieces of 3/4 plywood on top of each other, and 4x4 legs, I anchored them to the wall with tapcon 7/16 concrete fastners. I topped it off with a grey carpet. Now i get no flex or movement. I also had the thought about people looking in at my goods, so I went to the auto parts store bought several boxes of 5% window tint and tinted my windows. I can see out, but you cannot see in. It also cut the amount of heat inside down alot. You have just about as many presses as I do, Bair C130, Hornady LNL Progressive, Lee 50bmg. Always thought about the ammo plant accessories, but since I do so many calibers, and having to reset it alot it just didn't make sense for me.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Sweet! Nice job and well worth the weekend spent on it. Now, have even more fun reloading.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Suggestion - DO NOT install any window coverings. What better way to discourage break ins then the possibility of coming face-to-face with a guy who has an ammunition factory in his house? It's kinda like sharpening a big old axe on the front porch when your daughter's new boyfriend shows up to pick her up for their first date! ;)

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Suggestion - DO NOT install any window coverings. What better way to discourage break ins then the possibility of coming face-to-face with a guy who has an ammunition factory in his house? It's kinda like sharpening a big old axe on the front porch when your daughter's new boyfriend shows up to pick her up for their first date! ;)
Yeah, so then they SEE what you have and do. KNOW you have guns to shoot that ammo in you're making and simply wait until they know you are gone and break in looking for the guns

·
Registered
17,258 Posts
You have a nice setup. That new bench looks a whole lot stouter.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys, I like the sturdier feeling I get from the new bench, there is no flex at all in the top now. I forgot in my description of the top that the first board is a 2X8 instead of a 2X6 for my press to mount on, I also added extra cross supports at the press area and screwed all the boards down with 3" torx head deck screws to ensure no movement in the top.

I'm mainly holding off on mounting anything else to the bench right now as I'm seriously considering an RCBS Rock Chucker to replace the old Pacific C press I have. I have broken the handle on that thing 3-4 times and have had a welding shop make me a new one but it's so old and worn it seems time to retire it for now.

Tacky, I mainly do 223/5.56 so the extra toys are for that but I have found that for pistol the case feeder will work with all calibers and you just get the large and small case plates and bullet dies with the tubes and load away on pistol. Some of the bullet dies work with more than one caliber. You still use your caliber specific dies to do everything else.

My son in law has split the cost of this system with me and we are now set up to handle 380, 9mm, 40 s&w, 45acp and 44s. Rifles are 223/5.56, 270, 308, 30-06. The rifle case feeder only has 2 plates like the pistol so once you have both your set to feed any case you want just like pistol. Takes about 30 seconds to convert the case feeder from rifle to pistol. The expense is in the auto bullet feeder conversion from small to large rifle, it's about $150 for the complete set up but will feed all large rife bullets.

Once it's tweaked out all you do is pull the handle, keep components fed and load. My first session with it, I was really going slow and loaded 100 rounds of 223 in 15 minutes so I can easily do 350 rounds and hour.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will do something, right now I have a large towel covering it so looking in the window at dusk it looks like a ghost. :D

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Too much?
That's the Man Cave from hell in my book.
Even has a nice view.
Kudos. :cool:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts