Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take-down was cake really. Assembling I put a couple of small scratches on my new plinker. Mainly due to getting the pin back in, so will need to polish. I think the big hang-up was not dropping the mag to get the pin fully through. After getting really frustrated I dropped the mag and it slid right in. I know I will get better at doing it the more times I do it. Just a shame I put a couple of scratches on it first time.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I own a Mark I that I bought new in 1976, and I continue to put scratches in it. It's a good, accurate pistol, but a PITA to re-assemble after field stripping.

·
Registered
824 Posts
They can be tough to seat...The problem is often getting them past that last 1/8" of an inch...a firm grip and a little upward pressure on the mainspring housing while rocking the pin back and forth will usually work to get it past the end of the guide rod.

They can be a real bugger to get to seat...the good news is that over time it should become easier...

Not sure if I understand the part about the magazine?

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have a MkII Govt that I bought new in '86. I stripped it down to clean it once when I first had it, and it was such a PITA that I never did it again. Now I just flush the action with a spray can of Birchwood Casey crud buster, brush and swab out the bore, then lightly oil it with a good gun oil. It's always functions perfectly, and I have no scratches on the gun.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I also put a little dent/scratch on the muzzle end of mine because mine came apart a lot easier than expected, and I had a slip of the hand. Oh well. While I try to take care of my guns, I buy them to use them, not put them in a glass box on the wall, although my SR1911 could certainly fill that role, it's such a good looking gun.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I had the barrel come off too and smash to the ground. Might have got one little scratch there. I think it will get better now knowing what to look out for next time. I have to watch some Stainless polishing videos on YouTube tonight to get the approach on taking out the scratches. The ones for removing the 1911 idiot marks should work perfect for mine!

·
Zombie Hunter
248 Posts
My MkII has always been more fun to shoot than clean. There are a lot of little parts in there. It's worth it though, a cllean sidearm is a happy sidearm. :cool:

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome to the club, you've been through your "right of passage".

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'd thought about buying one of the two piece pins, and promptly nixed the idea, after going to the trouble of becoming proficient at disassemble reassembly...I figure that all I'd accomplish at that point would be adding a couple extra parts to loose...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
intercooler
Welcome the the MK club. The best vidieo out there on MK's IMO is Moses MKIII dissasembly. I use a 5/16" drift pin that I ground down the nose to a taper and I line out the holes from the top with it. And as North Country Gal says pull the trigger. I pull the trigger and push the hammer out with a Q-Tip before inserting the main spring pin. Watch Moes vid it makes it easy. They're great guns will out last us. Once you learn how it's a piece of cake. Now you need a mcfadden ultmate clip (mag ) loader.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts