Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done turning my Mossberg 500 into a home defense gun. Only prob, I'm stuck with the 5+1 capacity unless I buy a kit which includes new mag tube + barrel. By the time yah do that, may as well buy a new Mod 88 (if there were any avail on the planet).

So anyway, since it's a 500, I see there's an OPSol mini clip avail for around $15 which allows you to fire 1 3/4" shotshells instead of 2 3/4". That would raise my capacity considerably but every ammo dealer I check says "out of stock no backorder". Did they quit makin these? I've read the slug minis aren't reliable, but I'm usin #1 buckshot anyhow.

·
Cat Herder
1,647 Posts
They probably didn't stop making them, a lot of places won't backorder right now. Not sure why, but my guess is that it allows them to adjust their prices more readily. You could try the Federal Shorty's. They feed in my 870 without any kind of adapter, and you might get a couple extra in the tube. Bass Pro shows limited stock, so flip a coin as to if they actually have them, their inventory system sucks. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/federal-shorty-buckshot-shotgun-shells

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
You can easily replace spent rounds on the go with a pump shotgun, just feed them in. With practice it will become easy. I agree with FeralCatKiller stick with what you know will work. I really think the whole capacity debate is so overblown. It used to be fast is fine but accuracy is final. Now it's spray and pray and get out of the way.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,788 Posts
My hunting 600 wears a shorter barrel out of season, and a flashlight.

Go with standard length slugs or buckshot. 5 rounds will be plenty. God help anyone who breaks in.

I am just starting to reload shot shells, after a few years of center fire reloading. If you can get the shorter hulls, you have that option if you shoot enough to justify it.

·
Cat Herder
1,647 Posts
All that kind of stuff is in short supply.

I personally wouldn’t gamble on those shorty shells for defense. Seems like you’d be asking for a jam at the worst moment.
For my 870 the 1 3/4" shells will misfeed about once per tube average. I've ran close to 100 of the 2 1/4" with zero failures. I like them as they are quieter and low recoil for my wife.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Saw some of the short shells on Brownell's yesterday. Forget what brand but maybe Federal?? Don't remember.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Have a Kel-Tec KSG. They Aguila mini shells feed fine in mine with no modifications. 12 in each tube for a total of 24, 1/2 buck 1/2 slug.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,292 Posts
The LGS has the Mossberg 500 adapters and the shells in stock. It is just supply and demand.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,916 Posts
I have never tried the short shells in my 870. Standard capacity with extras on the butt stock meets my needs. I have some of the Federal Shorty buckshot that I put in the sawed-off dbl barrel 12ga that lives in my closet when I go off hunting. They are easy for my wife to handle, offer adequate power inside the house, and offer another option besides her five shot .38spl revolver.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK thanx, I'll keep looking, I'd like to at least give them a try. As mentioned, in the house, I like the idea of lower noise + recoil in the house in addition to the increased capacity. I hate doin drywall work!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ammo seek still shows lots of Aguila mini-shells slug, buck and bird available, Paul Harrell did a video on them btw that was very informative

Reactions: Neon Horse

·
Registered
17 Posts
OP, take a look at the manufacturer’s website (opsolmini-clip.com). The OPSol® Mini-Clip 2.0 Flex goes for $17.00 each with free shipping. Online purchase seems to flow as expected.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a M590, and I tried the mini-shotshells.

My shotgun is 1990-vintage, so I don't know if they've changed much since then, but the shell carrier on my specimen is skelontonized. The mini-shotshells are so short that far too often they fall through the carrier and get hung up by the rim when I cycle the action, causing a jam, and it's a pain in the a** to get them out.

·
Righteous Dude
21,666 Posts
I have a M590, and I tried the mini-shotshells.

My shotgun is 1990-vintage, so I don't know if they've changed much since then, but the shell carrier on my specimen is skelontonized. The mini-shotshells are so short that far too often they fall through the carrier and get hung up by the rim when I cycle the action, causing a jam, and it's a pain in the a** to get them out.
The opsol adapter allows the mini-shells to cycle reliably. That would fix your issue. 😊

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OP, take a look at the manufacturer’s website (opsolmini-clip.com). The OPSol® Mini-Clip 2.0 Flex goes for $17.00 each with free shipping. Online purchase seems to flow as expected.
Yeah, the adapter is no problem, it's getting the shells once you buy the adapter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts