Ruger Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
jarhead127, suggest you check on AmmoSeek(.com) for mini-shotshell sources. Right now the 7.5/8 shot shells are out there, with a few offering slugs and/or buckshot. I’ve had good luck with both Federal (Shorty) and Aguila (Minishell) slug and buckshot products. I have some Challeger 7 1/2 shot shells enroute from Target USA to sample.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got done turning my Mossberg 500 into a home defense gun. Only prob, I'm stuck with the 5+1 capacity unless I buy a kit which includes new mag tube + barrel. By the time yah do that, may as well buy a new Mod 88 (if there were any avail on the planet).

So anyway, since it's a 500, I see there's an OPSol mini clip avail for around $15 which allows you to fire 1 3/4" shotshells instead of 2 3/4". That would raise my capacity considerably but every ammo dealer I check says "out of stock no backorder". Did they quit makin these? I've read the slug minis aren't reliable, but I'm usin #1 buckshot anyhow.
I picked up 5 boxes of mini buck and 5 boxes of mini slugs from Classic Firearms (delivered last week). They've had 'em sporadically and I kept opening their notification emails too late to order when they got them back in stock. Price has gone up a bit, but at least I have some now. Imo, the opsol adapter is a must, and feeds the Shockwave w/o a hitch

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've got a small single-shot break-action 12ga - you can just break it open and fold it over into a 21"x8"x1 1/2" package to fit inside a backpack. It only weighs about 5 lb, so full-power 2 3/4" shells have a nasty kick ( I didn't try any 3" shells). I've bought a bunch of shorties (both slug & #7 shot) for it - as a survival gun I won't be taking long-range shots anyway, and running loads with 2/3-3/4 of the velocity-load weight combo of full-sized shells won't really lose much in lethality, but will really help with that kick!

This is a good review, he covers the features, accessories (3 chokes & differing lengths of screws for adjusting the stock length), as well as a realistic description of the recoil - but I'm not foolish enough to fire two at a time... or to keep firing full-power loads from mine!

I suppose I could remove the end spacer and install a GOOD recoil pad! ;)
BTB, the stock & foregrip on mine is in "simulated wood", not black, and has the choke set.

Also, it is now available with an externally-threaded muzzle brake - but apparently without the set of chokes.

The price has come up a bit since he did the video... I paid 1 penny less than $100 in Oct of last year - I had to laugh when I saw vendors selling them for $150 at a gun show 3 weeks later! However, it does seem that the muzzle brake version is priced a bit higher - I've seen several on-line listings for ~$120-130, and a couple for $150.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I tried five federal minishells all fired and the fifth shell jammed in barrel and would not eject the last shell. Had to take entire shotgun apart . No more minishells for me.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I tried five federal minishells all fired and the fifth shell jammed in barrel and would not eject the last shell. Had to take entire shotgun apart . No more minishells for me.
Was that with a Mossberg 500 series with the Opsol adapter? I have found them to be 100% reliable in my 590 with the Opsol adapter.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts