Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to on line to get my huge discount offer :rolleyes: but realized (after being urged by Ruger to click on the terms of use) that for the massive discount offered I was, apparently granting Ruger the rights to do with as they please with the any/all of the info I provide DESPITE the clear assurance on the offer card that no info would be released outside of Ruger.

Don't need moonclips that bad :p

Thoughts/Info?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have, and received offers for discount items & freebies. Why not ?

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
I was going to on line to get my huge discount offer :rolleyes: but realized (after being urged by Ruger to click on the terms of use) that for the massive discount offered I was, apparently granting Ruger the rights to do with as they please with the any/all of the info I provide DESPITE the clear assurance on the offer card that no info would be released outside of Ruger.

Don't need moonclips that bad :p

Thoughts/Info?
Do you have any idea of the amount of info you are making available by simply using a computer and browsing the internet?

Ruger is the least of your worries.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Never with any of them. Nothing is secure once you click the send button. Keeps the spam and junk mail lower too.

IF I have a problem, that's what the LGS is for. If the LGS can't (or won't) deal with it, that's what the phone is for and I no longer do business with that LGS.

I stay away from Big Box Stores for that very reason. Once you're out the door, most could care less.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
I'll register my firearms when the Government registers their's.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Do you have any idea of the amount of info you are making available by simply using a computer and browsing the internet?

Ruger is the least of your worries.
TONS. :D:eek:

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
In Nj we have had to get a seperate permit to purchase a handgun since the mid1960s. Hence every handgun I have purchased is registered with the state by make model and serial number. so it stinks but I do not worry about giving my info to ruger as the state already has it.nBy the way no private sales are legal without the state permit so I cannot buy a handgun form one of my sons in law without a permit.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Yes, I've registered with Ruger. You do have an option to opt out of receiving offers. I haven't seen any up-tick in spam.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I've registered several guns with Ruger. It's not like the government doesn't already have an easy path to knowing I bought them, so I don't see the risk. Nor have I seen spam from it. I get more spam from the various online retailers I've ordered from then from Ruger.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What got me apprehensive is the seemingly direct contradiction-and a hidden one at that-regarding just what the Company can do with the info you provide. The card pitching the offer plainly states nothing will go outside of Ruger but when you want to get your 20% discount the terms apparently take a 180* and state quite another position, in fact I challenge anyone to click on the -terms- link, read the language see if you understand more than the five words or so that I did.

With me its got nothing at all to do with registering the gun, if I am understanding things correctly the practice is simply sleezey-really sleezey.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
In Nj we have had to get a seperate permit to purchase a handgun since the mid1960s. Hence every handgun I have purchased is registered with the state by make model and serial number. so it stinks but I do not worry about giving my info to ruger as the state already has it.nBy the way no private sales are legal without the state permit so I cannot buy a handgun form one of my sons in law without a permit.
Here you need a permit to purchase. It's good for one year buying any "legal" firearm. A carry permit works the same, but is good for 5 years. No seperate permits for any "legal" firearms.

I only use the term "legal" because we have a minimum barrel length for rifles and shotguns (16"). Handguns can't have a shoulder held buttstock... We can legally own an AR- SBR (in 5.56/223) with a 9" barrel, but the stock fits over your wrist/forearm and it HAS to be registered as a handgun AND shot like one. Shooting it like a rifle and you will get busted for having an illegal Short Barrel Rifle. They are a bit heavy to shoot with one arm with even a 5 or 10 round mag, 20 or 30 round mags make it way heavy. Think of what it'd be like shooting your AR with both arms stretched out, shorter sight length and the buttstock away from your shoulder. They are kinda neat, but I couldn't see any practical use for one beyond a novelty for what (I thought), was a hefty price.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Get on the internet, join discussion forums and tell the world about your life, your firearms, your this, your that, but - WHOA - don't let the manufacturer of your new firearm know you own it.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Get on the internet, join discussion forums and tell the world about your life, your firearms, your this, your that, but - WHOA - don't let the manufacturer of your new firearm know you own it.
^^
:D

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
permit

Here you need a permit to purchase. It's good for one year buying any "legal" firearm. A carry permit works the same, but is good for 5 years. No seperate permits for any "legal" firearms.

I only use the term "legal" because we have a minimum barrel length for rifles and shotguns (16"). Handguns can't have a shoulder held buttstock... We can legally own an AR- SBR (in 5.56/223) with a 9" barrel, but the stock fits over your wrist/forearm and it HAS to be registered as a handgun AND shot like one. Shooting it like a rifle and you will get busted for having an illegal Short Barrel Rifle. They are a bit heavy to shoot with one arm with even a 5 or 10 round mag, 20 or 30 round mags make it way heavy. Think of what it'd be like shooting your AR with both arms stretched out, shorter sight length and the buttstock away from your shoulder. They are kinda neat, but I couldn't see any practical use for one beyond a novelty for what (I thought), was a hefty price.
I did not even mention concealed carry permits as like the unicorn civilian ccw licenses in nj do not exist. A state of 9 million and only 1300 or so non job related civilian carry permits and that includes retired police.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reasons for registering with the maker? only to get notified of a recall or something like that and of course for few 'free' moonclips-and once again; my issue is not registering the guns as I don't live in a free State and the guns are registered (before I even get them in my hands) by an individual,me, who has also been 'registered' which then permits -me- not only to obtain the guns I buy but to carry/conceal any of the guns I get. AND there are limits as to the type and number I am permitted to purchase.
No my contention is not the loops I have to jump through and the formality of the purchase and the ability to purchase-its the Ruger double talk or what seems to be the Ruger double talk.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
After you get the 20% discount sell the gun that you "registered"!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts