Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a clip of an Alec Baldwin interview where he said that he didn't pull the trigger. TMZ recruited an expert who merely stated that the hammer couldn't fall of the trigger wasn't pulled.
My question is weather it is possible to "flick" the trigger that is pull it back but not far enough to engage the trigger mechanism, then release it so it falls hard enough to set the round off.
As you probably know the gun in question was an Italian made colt single action replica.
I'm not trying to create a firestorm here, just a technical question.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A SAA requires the hammer to be pulled all the way back, i.e. cocked. Trigger pull on the Italian SAA is usually around 4 1/2 to 5 lbs and requires the shooter to pull the trigger to make the hammer fall. Simple 1873 mechanism not able to go off accidentally unless dropped.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
When you cock the hammer of a revolver, the sear won't engage until the chamber is aligned with the bore. Even if Alec The Executioner had accidentally released the hammer before that point, the primer probably wouldn't have been aligned with the firing pin and/or the bullet would have been stopped on the edge of the forcing cone.

He pulled the trigger because he is an anti-gun person with no knowledge of or care to acquire safe handling habits.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,773 Posts
When the adrenalin is flowing, a couple pounds of trigger pull is like nothing. Alec Baldwin is certainly not a firearms expert .... probably doesn't know much at all. That said, single action revolvers must be cocked before they can be fired .... or the hammer can be fanned back and released but what ever he did, it was not a responsible action and I truly believe he was lying. Aiming at the crew violates the most basic safety concept of "never point a gun at something you don't intend to shoot". Further, according to on-scene personnel, the script didn't call for Alec to shoot or even point his gun at the camera. It was a rehearsal, not an actual scene being filmed.

I found it really stupid that guns used as props were used for target practice with live ammo. In all ..... it was a fuster cluck of mistakes and dangerously poor judgement. The prop manager and Alec Baldwin need to be prosecuted for their involvement, not to mention the persons involved with bringing live ammo to the set.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My assumption is the hammer was cocked, and he didn't intend on pulling the trigger. However, 'touched' it causing the round to be fired.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Everybody seems to agree with you that the trigger has to move in order to release a cocked hammer, and didn't pull is some game of semantics.
My question is if it it is possible for the hammer to slip out from under your thumb before the cocking process is complete thus allowing it to fall against the primer.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Everybody seems to agree with you that the trigger has to move in order to release a cocked hammer, and didn't pull is some game of semantics.
My question is if it it is possible for the hammer to slip out from under your thumb before the cocking process is complete thus allowing it to fall against the primer.
See what I said in Post #4.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I think that possible with a hammer fired semi-auto pistol...?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Well, here's my opinion: From experience, if, when cocking a traditional Single Action revolver, the hammer does happen to slip from the thumb's grasp, the hammer will fall but will be intercepted by one of the hammer notches, either the half cock notch (loading position) or the "safety" notch. Even if the hammer does break through the notch, it is most likely that its momentum will have been checked enough to fail to fire the round. But from all testimony published so far, Alex is still guilty of negligent homicide. He pointed a firearm at another person.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
And...........as to dummy cartridges, I have dummy rounds made up for loading die adjustment. By close inspection I could not tell if these were live or dummy cartridges. To identify these, I leave the primers out of the primer pockets. Supposedly, only dummy cartridges and blank ammunition were to be on the set. The real culprit is the one who brought live ammunition to the movie set.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And...........as to dummy cartridges, I have dummy rounds made up for loading die adjustment. By close inspection I could not tell if these were live or dummy cartridges. To identify these, I leave the primers out of the primer pockets. Supposedly, only dummy cartridges and blank ammunition were to be on the set. The real culprit is the one who brought live ammunition to the movie set.

Bob Wright
There was some talk early on that another type of prop ammo is used that looks like a loaded cartridge, primer and all but only produced smoke and noise.
Dnk if that kind was on the set.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Well, here's my opinion: From experience, if, when cocking a traditional Single Action revolver, the hammer does happen to slip from the thumb's grasp, the hammer will fall but will be intercepted by one of the hammer notches, either the half cock notch (loading position) or the "safety" notch. Even if the hammer does break through the notch, it is most likely that its momentum will have been checked enough to fail to fire the round. But from all testimony published so far, Alex is still guilty of negligent homicide. He pointed a firearm at another person.

Bob Wright
Good point. I was experimenting with an alternate cocking method with my Colt 1860 Army replica, and my thumb slipped off the hammer early, causing it to fall into half-cock (I need to be more careful about the internal surfaces 😲 ).

·
Administrator
23,015 Posts
Baldwin is an actor; he's acting a.k.a. lying to save his own skin. He was both the person that fired the firearm and the producer of the film who sets the safety standards. He failed twice and a young mother died and now he is about to get sued large and hopefully charged criminally.

If he didn't pull the trigger, then who did?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. We are all sensitive to how any incident, especially a high profile one can work against us. The infamous gun control act of 1968 was precipitated by the JFK assassination.
Let's see an enemy of the state shoots the prez with a $20 gun(maybe) so let's outlaw $20 guns and let the enemy's be. The logic hasn't gotten any better in 50+ years.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,773 Posts
My prediction ..... Alec Balwin will walk as will the "armorer". Some snuffy on the crew will take the blame to keep the big guys from going to jail.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I agree.
Baldwin killed that woman, but will never go down for involuntary manslaughter.

The only people stupid enough to believe his lies about not pulling the trigger, are the gun control bigots.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I had some sympathy for Alec Baldwin concerning this tragic incident. But now that he's pulling this BS of "I didn't pull the trigger" it's obvious he is trying to throw out this ridiculous assertion that the gun just went off for the all guns are scary crowd. No more sympathy for that liar.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Touching the trigger-pulling the hammer- just lawyer semantics. He failed to verify what was in the gun‘s cylinder, cocked the hammer of a single action revolver, swept the camera AND the 2 people that were behind it killing one and wounding another. He was totally responsible but the other two ‘professional’ gun handlers share equally in the crime imo.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts