Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a difference in accuracy between the std and deluxe models or is it just for looks
does the barrell band have a purpose or is that looks as well (ive always thought floating barrells were advantages)
for about the same price which is better 1022 std with butler creek barrell or target model (does it give you a nicer trigger)
the reason i am asking is that i have decided to get a 1022 this summer for gopher hunting as some farms in south saskatchewan will give you room and board plus ammo just to shoot gophers but i am unsure about which model to get

·
Registered
11 Posts
a friend of mine got the 10/22 and added an after market barrel- not sure which one, but it's not heavy duty, just crafted well. he also added a nicer trigger.

later he bought the 10/22 with the "twisty" barrel. he said they shoot different but both are sweet. So i think it's a toss-up. get it built in or build it yourself. But as far as that "twisty" etched barrel that is sweeeet !

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,411 Posts
With exception of the target models, 10/22s shoot pretty grim right out of the box. Yes, you can replace the barrel with a 20" Green Mountain or some other brand but then you have to do something with the stock because the barrel channel is too narrow. By the time you finish, you will have spent a pretty penny. Why not just buy the target model to start with? Those little gophers need a nice accurate gun! I would look at a 10/22T in blue.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The last two 10/22T's that I bought had the exact same "sporter" chamber that comes on all of the other 10/22's that I have ever bought. To be completely honest, I would only get the "T" model if I was interested in the fact that the barrel has the multi-facet design on it. Also worth noting is that there are GM and other brands of barrels that have factory contours, which wouldn't require an aftermarket or re-worked stock channel. The "T" model is reputed to have a slightly better trigger pull as well, but I have yet to prove that fact, and polishing your own trigger components on any of the "cheapy" 10/22's can yield a ~2lb crisp trigger pull, so that wouldn't be a selling point for me either. As far as my opinion on the different 10/22 models, the DSP or the WWS (wally world special) are a little more desireable due to the rifle stock that they come with, versus the carbine stock that is the standard fare on the sporter barreled rifles. The DSP is still walnut, another nice selling point.

For what it is worth, I am building a "SuperStock" rifle right now. It was bought as a standard carbine model, $169 from my local Academy Sporting goods store. I am having the barrel re-chambered, set back, and re-crowned. Everything else that I am doing to this rifle is free. The barrel work is costing me about $75, and shipping one way. When done, I can almost guarentee that my $244 carbine will shoot circles around any factory $400+ "T" model.

FWIW

JJ

-edit- Two other things that I wanted to mention, on the barrel band, it is a toss up. Some carbines shoot better with them removed, while others benefit from leaving them on. The other thing is that the major downside of the "T" model is the lack of open sights. I scope most of my rifles, because I am always chasing tiny holes on paper, but I still prefer to have some sort of open sights options available.

-double edit- a quick rundown of the "SuperStock" rifle:

Mods: Polished trigger group, drilled tapped sear for pre-travel, new trigger pull=1.74 lbs, no creep - DIY
Autobolt mod - DIY
Bolt buffer - I forgot this in the above rant, but this cost me $0.00 on a karma auction, retail is $5.99
Re-worked barrel - Actual cost for the work $75, and my side of the shipping - $9.75 for priority w/del. conf.

-triple edit- I'll post some target pictures when the barrel gets back, some at 25yds and some at 50yds, all open sights, as that is the purpose of this build.

-quadruple edit- Here is an example of one of my other builds that was shot using a re-worked factory barrel. Groups are five shot groups, shot at 25yds, from a rest, and with a scope:

And yes, I am that corny guy that names his rifles and pistols.

JJ

·
Banned
700 Posts
I've built more of these than I'm willing to admit to here!:)
I also own a "T". As Iowegan has stated the stockers are generally mediocre at best out of the box with the exception of an occasional freak.
My "T" isn't a show stopper nor is it quite as accurate compared to my builds but it is very respectable and a little less money. BTW the trigger pull on a "T" is around 4-4.5lbs That's as much as a couple lbs less than a stocker.
..and the barrel band helps some guns but hurts more. It's cosmetic!

Today we ran a few through this guy! It's modified but with a stock barrel in a channeless stock. It performed very well.

I'm sure JJ will agree that building/tweaking them is darn near as much fun as shooting that tight group! If you do your homework and avoid all the site hype you can have a great shooter for a bargain price.

SD

·
Registered
11 Posts
jjfunk- good idea getting a cheapy and trickin it. man you guys are drawing me into the 10/22 itch! ;)

i wish i had known how customizable they were before i got a really cheapy 22.

Hey- song dawg- do you have a link or info on that very nice stock in the pic?

·
Registered
211 Posts
jjfunk, those are some mighty fine looking rifles! I'm looking for a donar to build a super stocker.
You can build a nice target rifle pretty cheap. Keep an eye on the auction sites, lots of guys bought barrel and stocks then never get to them. I picked up my thumb hole stock with a 16" GM barrel for $180. The only other aftermarket part I bought was a wider trigger.
I'm right at $500 for this Ruger, lot of money for a 22lr, but it's out shot some $1500 ones.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,411 Posts
I bought a used 10/22 $150 then bought the Butler Creek folding stock for $60. Later I ordered a Green Mountain bull barrel for $80, routed out the barrel channel and mounted a 4X tactical scope. This is one ugly gun but boy does it shoot. Dime sized groups at 50 yards are normal with cheap Federal bulk pack ammo. Not bad for a total investment of $350.

·
Banned
282 Posts
I picked up a new, stainless 10/22 several years ago, but I was not at all happy with the way it shot. No matter what kind of ammo I tried, it would shoot about minute-of-hubcap groups at 30+ yards. I didn't like the sights, which may have been a reason for it's poor performance (or mine), and it became a safe queen with thoughts of leaving it for my son when I shuffle off this mortal coil.

About 4 years ago, I found myself working for Leupold (the scope folks) and one day over coffee with one of the product engineers, the conversation came around to .22 semi-autos. I shared my tales of woe regarding my little 10/22, and was told to "bring it in." So I did. It got pretty well worked over, and several internal parts were replaced. I wound up with a new, expensive carbon fiber barrel, new synthetic stock with free floating barrel, trigger group, and of course a brand new Leupold fixed 4x scope. I paid for the parts at employee discount, but the workmanship, including CNC machining was a company benefit, as long as it wasn't on company time.

Bottom line, it is now a tack-driver. It likes CCI Mini-Mag ammo, and I swear I can hit mosquitoes at 50 yds. :cool: My son will still get it, but it will be well used by then.

I don't work there any longer, but took full advantage of employee benefits and discounts before leaving with a monthly pension check. And by the way, it is pronounced: Lew-pold, not Le-a-pold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts