Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last couple of days I have received two lots of small pistol primers ordered online over the last month. I had and interesting and a little disturbing observation.

Used 38 spl range brasses various brands.
I loaded 50 rounds of 38 spl. using the Federal gold Medal Magnum match primers (I know pricey at around $125 a brick). I had zero problems seating and of these primers.

Next I received the Ginex primers at around $100 a brick. I found these primers hard to seat flush (yes all primer seats in the shells were cleaned out. Out of 50, maybe 20 where borderline acceptable flush with the shell base. 4 are sitting very proud (And no, I wont seat them further with a hammer).

Anyone had similar experiences?

Ammunition Material property Cylinder Gun accessory Bullet

Ammunition Bullet Material property Gun accessory Cylinder

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Scale Calipers Gauge Sports equipment Material property

So I wondered about dimensions between the two primers. I thought maybe the Ginex were deeper than the Federal. The Federal ran very consistent .119" The Ginex were shorter running around .116" although not consistent (Measured only a 3 piece sample so maybe measure a lot more.

Calipers Scale Sports equipment Gauge Measuring instrument

Calipers Measuring instrument Font Audio equipment Ruler

Calipers Measuring instrument Tool Font Office equipment

Calipers Font Technology Fashion accessory Machine

Font Gadget Metal Games Computer data storage

Calipers Measuring instrument Font Gas Camera accessory

·
Registered
173 Posts
In the last couple of days I have received two lots of small pistol primers ordered online over the last month. I had and interesting and a little disturbing observation.

Used 38 spl range brasses various brands.
I loaded 50 rounds of 38 spl. using the Federal gold Medal Magnum match primers (I know pricey at around $125 a brick). I had zero problems seating and of these primers.

Next I received the Ginex primers at around $100 a brick. I found these primers hard to seat flush (yes all primer seats in the shells were cleaned out. Out of 50, maybe 20 where borderline acceptable flush with the shell base. 4 are sitting very proud (And no, I wont seat them further with a hammer).

Anyone had similar experiences?

View attachment 170174
View attachment 170173
I have been eyeing those Ginex primers and from my internet research they do take a little bit more effort to seat. What are you using to seat the primers?? Press, handheld, bench unit??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have been eyeing those Ginex primers and from my internet research they do take a little bit more effort to seat. What are you using to seat the primers?? Press, handheld, bench unit??
It's a Lee turret press bench loader, so it does all 4 steps. Never had this problem before, it's the first time I've used Ginex primers. CCI, Winchester, Remington, all without a problem.
Plumbing fixture Tap Gas Machine Nickel

·
Registered
9,689 Posts
How does the diameter compare between the two? If it were me I’d take two case and grind on the pocket counting the revolutions until she slips in. Do the same number revolutions on the second case and see how the Fed’s fit. You should find a happy medium.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How does the diameter compare between the two? If it were me I’d take two case and grind on the pocket counting the revolutions until she slips in. Do the same number revolutions on the second case and see how the Fed’s fit. You should find a happy medium.
The diameters are the same on each primer, this is what surprised me.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
OP. In the pic of the id of the primer, I notice the walls of the tube do not look round. They look deformed some. Just a guess here, and I am NOT making a recommendation, just an observation...
You will have to press harder the get that nickle to squish back to round in the seat. I would pull those and not send them. And I send just about anything!🤣

·
Registered
531 Posts
WHY read above, not the reload equipment, you don't know until the last sequence..........:mad:

Set up for proper loading of a certain component mix. Change a component and it can cause a problem. Can't check until round is loaded??? OK, I have it.

I've used a single stage since day one, about 35+ years ago. Never ventured into any other setups. Please excuse my lack of knowledge. :giggle:

Bepe

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
That's good to know ... I have a good many 38 special cases that I reload with +P loads and a lot of the primer pockets are becoming too easy to seat primers in ... maybe the +P loads are stretching the pockets ... Those Genex Primers would be perfect to fill those slightly enlarged primer pockets with ...
Give me a few more loadings with those otherwise perfectly good cases and a place to use the "fat" primers .
Gary

Reactions: Bepe

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OP. In the pic of the id of the primer, I notice the walls of the tube do not look round. They look deformed some. Just a guess here, and I am NOT making a recommendation, just an observation...
You will have to press harder the get that nickle to squish back to round in the seat. I would pull those and not send them. And I send just about anything!🤣
Hey an optical allusion, they are all round. From what I have found, these primers are very hard to seat (opinions from other forums too)
That's good to know ... I have a good many 38 special cases that I reload with +P loads and a lot of the primer pockets are becoming too easy to seat primers in ... maybe the +P loads are stretching the pockets ... Those Genex Primers would be perfect to fill those slightly enlarged primer pockets with ...
Give me a few more loadings with those otherwise perfectly good cases and a place to use the "fat" primers .
Gary
They are the same size primer, I just think the casing is very stiff that makes them hard to seat. Just loaded 50 using the Federal primers with zero problem seating. Exact same diameter.
I might have to stick with the more expensive Feds. And they are made in the USA.

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
500 Posts
man7 - Good post and great pictures. Interesting, I have the very same micrometer as you. That said, I am thinking that the differences in primer sizes are on the order of ten-thousandths. The Ginex primers could be up to 4 or 5 ten-thousandths larger than the Feds and your micro would never know the difference. A wee bit off topic, but very much related, I found Fed SPM’s at Brownells this morning for $89 + haz and (reasonable) shipping. Hope I am wrong, but I think primers are going to go through the roof now given current events :(

1 - 20 of 39 Posts