Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 1996, I bought my first digital camera, a Hewlett Packard ..... It was very simple, no zoom, low pixel rate but it took decent pictures provided you printed them at 4x6" or smaller. About every 5 years, I bought a new digital camera, each time with more features and a higher pixel rate. My current camera is a Fujifilm with 10 megapixel resolution, a nice zoom lens, and many features. This camera has worked great for all my photographic needs but I wanted to upgrade. This time I decided to move up in the world (thanks to the stimulus check) and ordered a new Nikon, 16 megapixel with a 40X optical zoom and 2X digital zoom. It has a 4.8 star customer rating .... even has Blue tooth and Wi-Fi for uploading pictures to my computer or printer without needing a cable. It is supposed to get here on the 4th and I'm really anxious to try it out.

My justification for a new camera: Many of my gun pictures are out dated because I have changed scopes and other accessories so I want to go through my safe and take new pictures of all of them. I have grandkids that are growing like weeds so I want to photograph their progress as they grow up. I got a really cute puppy for Christmas that is a ham for cameras. Seems every month or so, I have wildlife in my back yard. So far, several deer, a big fat ground hog, bald eagles, red tail hawks, a bobcat, rabbits, and just yesterday a huge barn owl. Yes, I could use my Fujifilm camera but I think I would enjoy it more with a camera that can take hi-res videos as well as still pictures where I can zoom in better.

So ..... is anyone else looking at buying a new digital camera? If so, what brand and model?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Lowegan, I am a Nikon shooter so I may eb diased. I bought my wife aNikon A1000 for Christmas and I like it. The camera is a point and shoot with a huge focal length spread and the images are great. I use a D 500 and a bunch of lenses and I really enjoy that camera as well, just not as convienent or as easy to carry around. Everyone will have a different opinion so go to a camera store and find the one that fits you, name brand camera quality today is good, if you don't like it you won't use it!

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,867 Posts
I’ve had a few good SLRs both film and digital. I’ve also had some point and shoot pocket cameras.

Now I’m happy enough to use my smartphone camera. It’s not perfect but it’s amazing by the standards of even a decade ago. Equipment-intensive SLR photography is one of those pastimes that seems appealing to me on the surface, but then I realize I’d rather just keep matters simple and put the time and effort elsewhere. This is the same reason I’ve never taken up reloading.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,564 Posts
My Panasonic Lumix is perfect for me. Lots of functionality, but easy to use. It has 60x zoom without interchangeable lenses. Mine is a couple of years old but offers Bluetooth connectivity and shoots 4k video. Mine is a lower end camera that only costs about $300.00, and there are several upgraded models with better sensors. I have really enjoyed using it both to photograph wildlife and document my shooting hobby. Taking pictures at family events is a bonus.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Been thru that stage. I have a really nice Sony and a Canon that sit in their respective cases as they are never close by when the need arises. I drag them out every now and then with the intention of using them..even charge up the batteries...but I never do ...and the cycle starts all over again. Even took both with me when we went to Florida for the winter and never got them out. My phone camera serves me well for my picture needs as it goes everywhere with me and is always handy.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've been through a lot of brands through the years. Upon the last canon full frame, I noticed that I was getting a little too, ahem, old to be carrying such heavy gear. Currently it's fuji xt-1 and xt-2 with assorted lenses.

·
Cat Herder
1,562 Posts
What is a "floppy disk?"

Lol, I'm joking. I saw the best use for them in a high school science lab a couple years ago- they were leveling the legs of wobbly tables.

My wife has a Canon Rebel and a couple lenses that she rarely uses. Luckily I bought it when the new model came out and got a very good deal.

I tend to use my phone camera a lot (Google phones have great cameras), but never catch the backyard wildlife. In the past couple years we've seen lots of rabbits (garden terrorists), a groundhog, two or three foxes, several coyotes, lots of snakes, moles, and mice. Occasionally hawks or buzzards fly over.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Had/have my old 35mm Canon Rebel with a ton of accessories (from over the years). So happens "most" of it's accessories/lenses are compatible with the Digital Canon Rebel. Love it and it has better options and settings that make it "almost" imposable to take bad photos.

·
Site Sponsor
1,260 Posts
It would be our pleasure to discuss options with you. As a supporting vendor here we will take great care of you of course. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, and speak with Joel as he runs the camera side.
Thanks

Reactions: frog4aday

·
Super Moderator
21,196 Posts
Started with a digital in 2003 when we retired with a Sony CD Mavica and took a ton of pics when we went to AK in 2003 and beyond. The problem was it was a large camera and if we were hiking it got left in the truck plus it took the pic to a mini CD's, hence the size. The last one we got was a Cannon Powershot. Much more compact with a 30x optical zoom.

Back when the earth was flat I had a Pentax 35 MM, with multiple lenses, flashes and other equipment and took a lot of film pics that are in albums, shoe boxes and assorted storage boxes.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I am still using my Olympus C-740 UltraZoom bought back at the beginning of the millenium. It is only 3.2 megapixel but has decent glass and a 10x optical zoom so the pictures are good and I don't have to 'dumb them down' to post on our gun club's email company (which is good because I no longer remember how), I have received some wonderful pictures of our 'Youth Program' from parents with newer, better cameras but can't figure out how to use them. Like most cameras of it's age it seems to take a 'light year' between pushing the shutter release and it taking the picture but I no longer have a photogenic dog and do not move fast myself so it has become less of an issue over the years.

I should consider something newer, it has become far more challenging to get pictures from the Olympus to the new(er) Windows 10 computer than I ever recall when running XP, something more water resistant would encourage taking it fishing. Maybe someday!

Bruce

·
Premium Member
13,882 Posts
Looking into getting a decent rig myself...........grandkids and such!

Reactions: alayonruger

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,291 Posts
I have a 10-year old (I think) Canon Rebel T3 DSLR. I got it brand new on eBay for about $200 less than how much it was sold at the time at Best Buy and other big box stores. Couple months later, the WiFi capable T3i came out so that’s why. I bought a zoom lens also on eBay for about 60% of big box store price. This camera has served me well on several road trips and family events. I don’t plan on replacing it anytime soon. Battery holds its charge. This spring, I took a lot of photos in the backyard. L
I have fun messing around with ISO and other settings.

Attachments

Reactions: Maddmax

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've tried to keep up with the digital camera features.The home quality cameras of today were the professional grade cameras of a few years ago. One thing I have found for nearly all brands and models made for home use .... they require virtually no expertise or experience .... just point and poke and you got a good photo. Probably the hardest task with the newer cameras is removing the lens cap.

Seems each year, the zoom rate and pixel rate increases, however there is a practical limit for both. My new Nikon has a 16 megapixel chip (there are much higher pixel rates available) capable of printing a picture 24x36" with virtually no digital grain. My high quality laser color printer' s largest paper size is 11x14" so any pixel rate beyond 10 mp won't improve actual picture quality. That said, if you Photoshop a picture and blow up only part of the original photo, then a higher pixel rate comes in handy. Holding a camera still when using a high magnification zoom lens requires a tripod so there is a practical limit on zoom power too. The Nikon I'm buying has one of the highest zoom rates .... 40X optical and 2X digital for a totally of 80X magnification. This is beyond practical limits without a tripod. I'm going to see how well it does as a "spotting scope" for those tiny 22 cal holes in 200 yard targets.

I have an Apple iPhone with an excellent camera, however it has it's limits. For example, no tripod mount, no view finder (LCD display washes out in bright sunlight), no optical zoom, and it' not easy to transfer pictures to a PC. In other words it's simply a hand held "point and poke" ..... but it does an excellent job. It's also handy because I keep it with me when I'm out and about.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Iowegan

I think that the 40x optical zoom will be a big feature on that Nikon! As you say there are practical limits and being able to get the amount of zoom that you desire without needing the digital portion is a lot of what makes quality images. For a while it seemed that camera zoom was 'all about the pixels' and they tried to get by with crap lenses. Just like spotting and rifle scopes, quality glass works.

Bruce

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,291 Posts
Iowegan, save your photos to icloud so you won’t need to transfer them to your pc. It’s on the web.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My first was a Kodak branded DC5000 Zoom, that to this day takes great pictures. It was an armored and waterproof model that spent many thousands of miles in the tank bag of my motorcycles all across the country. Kodak quit making digital cameras close to 20 years ago...It is my shop camera now for details of stuff I am messing with.
I also have and really like my Canon EOS Rebel T5. My wife has a similar model so we have a variety of lenses between us. It is my trip/wildlife/etc camera.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,554 Posts
Iowegan, I just received a Canon EOS Rebel T7i, EOS 800 as a gift from my wife. So far it has been easy to setup with WiFi for connecting to Laptops, storage devices and other platforms. Many options for lenses. For the money Sony or Canon will be a good choice. My knowledge is limited but I have a local camera group and will start attending monthly meetings to learn how to use and connect this darn thing correctly. Will have access to people that take pictures of firearms for LGS new and used photo spreads. I want to use mine for wild life and document my limited Ruger collection. I could not decide between Sony or Canon and if it was not for my wife I still would be looking. I know it is not much help but the Canon EOS Rebel T7i, EOS 800 is all I have to offer. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts