Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I‘ve been using my first and only scale, a RCBS 505, since about 1986. It continues to serve me well.
I considered electronic scales for some time and have read about the good, bad and ugly.
Opinions?
Suggestions for reliable and consistent models are welcome.

· Registered
586 Posts
If I was using a single stage i would go with the RCBS chargemaster. Everyone I know who has one loves them. I use a progressive and weigh powder with a Dillon digital scale. It's over 20 years old and works perfectly. I check and calibrate it once a month, but it doesn't seem to get out of spec.

· Registered
198 Posts
Since you're asking about a scale, and not an auto trickle powder measure, I use this one from Frankford Arsenal...

I use it to double check and confirm that my Hornady Auto Charger's built in scale is correct every few rounds, where they have never been more than 0.1gn different, which is what the published variance of the Hornady happens to be.

· Registered
1,010 Posts
If you can find a Hornady G2 1500 buy that or there is the Hornady G3 1500 which is the next model up from the G2 1500.

· Registered
7,582 Posts
I don't reload, but I have a digital scale that's handy for other things. The units probably aren't small enough to help loading. About 8 inches square glass surface, goes from a tenth ounce to 15 lb IIRC, and one gram on up to whatever equals 15 lbs, I don't remember. It's Home Goods brand and I gave Goodwill $3 for it about 5 years ago.
Hey, I've seen some loading gear in thrift stores. Not long ago a Rock Chucker (sp?) setup for $25.

Reactions: Woodsey495

· Registered
1,175 Posts
RCBS ChargeMaster Lite. Never had one problem with it. I seat the bullet and then hit the load button. While I'm inspecting that round, the next charge gets thrown. I used the RCBS Powder Pro for years. It was a scale only. The ChargeMaster has cut my loading time in half.

Bepe
Table Furniture Electronic instrument Office equipment Desk

· Registered
1,630 Posts
Since you're asking about a scale, and not an auto trickle powder measure, I use this one from Frankford Arsenal...

I use it to double check and confirm that my Hornady Auto Charger's built in scale is correct every few rounds, where they have never been more than 0.1gn different, which is what the published variance of the Hornady happens to be.
I too have the Frankford Arsenal digital scale,using it for about 5 years. Bought a set of check weights to check scale. I have a Lee safety scale but switched to digital scale,both scales matched when weighing check weights. Recently started checking loads every 5 rounds instead of every 10 rounds. Haven't had any load problems just paying more attention while reloading. I can crank out 50-100 rounds an hour if brass is preprimed.

· Registered
1,267 Posts
I know you just want a regular digital scale but if you can and I mean really can save up for that RCBS charge master light ... You will thank yourself ten folds that is the most awesome piece of equipment on your stand .
Like Bepe is saying up above in his post is all true about this piece of equipment . The only thing that is touchy about is It Doesn't Like Cold so store it and use it in a warm environment and the direction's say Let warm up for at least 15 to 20 minutes is true ... Hands down can't beat it ... Just my Two Cent's ....
Green Purple Gas Magenta Pet supply

There really cool 😎

· Registered
47 Posts
I have a Frankford Arsenal scale as mentioned above; for 5-6 years it was almost perfect, and for $30, a GREAT value. About a year ago, it started to be inconsistent, so I tried several others, none of which were actually better, though they cost 2-3 times as much. I now use the Hornady G-3, but I am not happy with it; it is not consistent, but I can compensate for that, somewhat, annoying as it may be. I use my RCBS 505 to check every 5th or 10th one depending on what I am loading. I have heard nothing but good things about the RCBS charge master. I don't want to spend that much money for casual reloading, but like all serious reloaders, for me, precision is paramount. I see a Charge Master in my near future.

· Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
2,201 Posts
I have a Frankford Arsenal scale as mentioned above; for 5-6 years it was almost perfect, and for $30, a GREAT value. About a year ago, it started to be inconsistent, so I tried several others, none of which were actually better, though they cost 2-3 times as much. I now use the Hornady G-3, but I am not happy with it; it is not consistent, but I can compensate for that, somewhat, annoying as it may be. I use my RCBS 505 to check every 5th or 10th one depending on what I am loading. I have heard nothing but good things about the RCBS charge master. I don't want to spend that much money for casual reloading, but like all serious reloaders, for me, precision is paramount. I see a Charge Master in my near future.
My results with a few different digital scales has been the same.
I've gone back to my Hornady Balance Beam Scale.
Old tech just works. :)

· Administrator
23,768 Posts
I bought an RCBS 1500 double digit years ago and it has worked flawlessly. It docks with the chargemaster system so I added that probably 5 years later and it works really well for me. You get into a rhythm when loading single stage.

· Registered
1,267 Posts
AZ .... You will thank yourself over and over again . Just make sure you let it warm up for awhile ... (y)

· Registered
235 Posts
I‘ve been using my first and only scale, a RCBS 505, since about 1986. It continues to serve me well.
I considered electronic scales for some time and have read about the good, bad and ugly.
Opinions?
Suggestions for reliable and consistent models are welcome.
I too have the latest RCBS Chargemaster. It's precise and quick, a big improvement over balance beam or the the old Rangemaster 750 I used before.

· Registered
235 Posts
I know you just want a regular digital scale but if you can and I mean really can save up for that RCBS charge master light ... You will thank yourself ten folds that is the most awesome piece of equipment on your stand .
Like Bepe is saying up above in his post is all true about this piece of equipment . The only thing that is touchy about is It Doesn't Like Cold so store it and use it in a warm environment and the direction's say Let warm up for at least 15 to 20 minutes is true ... Hands down can't beat it ... Just my Two Cent's ....
View attachment 186755

There really cool 😎
Amen to that!

· Registered
1,175 Posts
AZ .... You will thank yourself over and over again . Just make sure you let it warm up for awhile ... (y)
I keep mine stored at room temperature so no issues on the warm up. I set up my board and then the Chargemaster. Turn it on and finish setting up. Ten minutes later, by the time I get ready to go, the scale is warmed and works fine.

Also important to insure that the unit is level. It has a level bubble on it near the keypad. I use cut up pieces of plastic cards. Paper clip them in groups at the end, so next setup is simple. Making sure that the scale is level is paramount to accuracy.

I also check mine a few times a session with check weights. It has never been off.

AZdesertrat......buy once....cry once. Quality usually costs us. You'll enjoy it.

Bepe

· Registered
1,267 Posts
I keep mine stored at room temperature so no issues on the warm up. I set up my board and then the Chargemaster. Turn it on and then finish setting up. Ten minutes later, by the time I get ready to go, the scale is warmed and works fine. Also important to insure that the unit is level. It has a level bubble on it near the keypad. I use cut up pieces of plastic cards. Paper clip them in groups at the end, so next setup is simple. Making sure that the scale is level is paramount to accuracy.

I also check mine a few times a session with check weights. It has never been off.

AZdesertrat......buy once....cry once. Quality usually cost us. You'll enjoy it.

Bepe
Amen !!!! Worth it's weight in gold 🪙 ....

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.
I would consider the RCBS ChargeMaster Lite, or something similar, but real estate on my small bench is precious. That and the fact that I mostly load handgun ammo on a Dillon 550 with its powder measure. For .223 and 45-70 and their extruded powders, the RCBS powder measure + trickler work fine. So far, I’m leaning towards the Dillion digital scale.
Still pondering.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts