Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Howdy-
I've had one of these for a couple of years now- it is the BEST for removing the primer crimp from military brass, if you bought a lot of brass of all the same head stamp. The internal dimensions on mil brass vary somewhat, and have found enough variance between Lake City brass and other makers to require readjusting the primer pocket swager to suit the make of brass being worked with at the time- NOT a big deal to do, just don't think that you can have a batch of random head stamps all mixed together and have it do the same job on ALL of them. Aside from that, the device mounts to a bench securely, and the camming action of the device makes easy work of the job.
I know that RCBS makes a primer pocket swage that you use in a single stage reloading press, but I have no experience with it. I got the Dillon after asking around about how it worked, and, well heck, I live about a 20 minute drive from their place of business. They are always fast and courteous when I visit their retail area, and their "NO BS warranty" recreated the standard for the industry, it seems!
Where in west central FL are you? I was in St. Pete before moving west to AZ.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
I recently bought a second one so that I could have one for 223 and one for 308's. These are the only two calibers I need it for, but there's "nobody better" than Mr. Dillon.

Cue the 007 music theme. :D

·
Ironhat
287 Posts
The RCBS swager that cowboy spoke of is pure crap. They now have one that duplicates the original Dillon swage. I don't have any experience with the latter two mentioned.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo is $30.00
Whereas the Dillon is $100

Maybe I just like my money more, but all Dillon stuff is grossly overpriced.

(I have a 550, but I bought it 2nd hand for $150.)
so I know of the quality, but still, dang their stuff is expensive.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cowboy85306, exit 10 on I4, Seffner.

I bought the Dillon, in just a little while I had all my military brass swagged. I've used a reamer before but this was easy and all primers fit first time.

Yurko, you are probably right about over priced but if it ever breaks I'm sure Dillon will send me the parts for free no questions asked.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Dillon and RCBS have a life time warrenty, so replacement parts are no problem. I have the cheaper RCBS unit that goes on the press too. I used it one time and decided that while it worked, it was never going to meet my needs. It's very, very slow. I can run through 1000 5.56x45 in two hours with the Dillon. The RCBS would take weeks (that might be a little exageration)

RCBS has developed a tool like the Dillon that looks good in pictures, but I've never seen one in person. I don't know how it's priced either. The one thing I do know is that the Dillon works and works and works! :D

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I bringing this thread back up because I just bought a Dillon Super Swage 600. I started with the RCBS swage die combo and was using it in my Rock Chucker. The die worked but I bought it mainly for use with .223 and it was a PAIN in the neck to get the rod lined up just perfect with the case mouth. There is less than a millimeter of room and it was very slow going. I found it easiest (still a pain) to insert the case neck first and slip it into the die body by hand to get it over the rod and then line it up with the swage tool on the ram. That at least made the headache minimal. Once I got tired of trying that I bought the Dillon.

OMG

Forget the price tag issues.

It beat the dog snot out of the press mounted junk. In one afternoon I swaged out more crimped primer pockets than I had the previous week's worth of efforts. I couldn't believe how much easier, faster, and just flat out better the Dillon tool was than the press mount RCBS die set. I thought about trying the RCBS bench mount version but didn't like the idea of how the lever arm swisted to the left instead of the Dillon's pull down arm. I guess you could rotate the RCBS version around but it just looked busier than the Dillon. Either way I couldn't be more happy with the Dillon and now in retrospect wish I had bought it in the first place. The various youtube videos of the Dillon in use should have sold me alone on how easy it is to use. (sigh)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts