Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally received (today!) the gun of my dreams... The S&W Model 29 Classic 6.5" chambered in .44 mag! I've waited just over a year for this since my shopping began and paid just over a grand

I brought two other guns I hadn't shot since acquiring... The little new NAA revolver and the used Kahr CM-9

S&W impressions... Shot 36 rounds at indoor range after opening box with glee and cleaning the gun

- the SA trigger is very nice... No take up at all and light, but not too light
- DA is stiff and gritty with too much stacking... Hope that improves
- the cylinder release latch is so sharp on the front edges it will almost cut your skin... Shame on S&W for that lack of quality
- about every forth time I tried to open the cylinder it wouldn't release... Even when unloaded. Unsure if the problem is "new and not broken in" or poor manufacturing. I'm going to keep working it to see if it loosens up
- big boom, big holes, fun to own but really, really unhappy with quality so far
:mad:

NAA impressions

- this little guy is a hoot to shoot and easy to carry safely... I've had one before and can say this is a great BUG. Mine came with a .22 and .22wmr cylinders

Kahr CM-9 impressions

I had a Kahr CW-45 once and became a fan of the Kahr DA trigger! No safety, just pull the trigger... The same every time. This used gun performed flawlessly. I'm going to carry it once in a while just because I can!

·
Registered
301 Posts
For that much $ U should at least not being cut by the weapon. the only S&W I have had were Model 15' and I loved them, but they were not current Mfg. Sad to see a company slip down the quality road.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Send that S&W back and demand it come back perfect, I for one can't afford to dump a grand on a new gun to have to "settle" or tinker with an out of the box new gun.......

·
Registered
155 Posts
So many different people, companies, entities have owned S&W over the last 50 or 60 years that their quality control has been all over the map. Even the Performance Center has had a few bad days. The only thing certain is "they don't make them like they used to"!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I just bought a Ruger Standard Model .22 made in 1963 today, because I'd rather pay a little more for one made when Bill was still at the helm..........

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Nice trio. They each look great. I can imagine that was a fun range trip. Those NAAs are fun shooters and 44 magnum is always a fun round to blast off. :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
So many different people, companies, entities have owned S&W over the last 50 or 60 years that their quality control has been all over the map. Even the Performance Center has had a few bad days. The only thing certain is "they don't make them like they used to"!
All over the map is exactly right, I had one of my own that had to go back, for the money the retailers are getting I really don't understand why people are willing to pay so much, I have a friend I shoot with he has a 686 and a 629 both have had to get fixed up so to speak from all the shooting we do while the Rugers I shoot just keep on ticking
I like the older smiths but rarely find one I'm willing to pay big bucks for

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I got a S&W 629 a while ago and noted many of the same issues. The double action trigger pull smoothed out pretty fast and the difficulty opening the cylinder did, too. I doubt that sending it back to S&W to fix it up will be worth the effort; it's worth mentioning that their Performance Shop offers action work, so they're not likely to smooth out your 29's action for free.

Jim

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I got a S&W 629 a while ago and noted many of the same issues. The double action trigger pull smoothed out pretty fast and the difficulty opening the cylinder did, too. I doubt that sending it back to S&W to fix it up will be worth the effort; it's worth mentioning that their Performance Shop offers action work, so they're not likely to smooth out your 29's action for free.

Jim
My observations, too, with the new Smiths. Given that my preferred way to shoot is in DA mode, I especially dislike the way Smiths stack in DA. Our DA revolver collection now consists mostly Rugers - GPs and Redhawks - for their DA triggers.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
They come dry with some grit in the action. Lube it up through the frame if you're not willing to disassemble it.

As far as being tough to open I've only had that on guns I was fitting longer ejector rods to.

GP's and Redhawks are generally not preferred over Smiths for DA triggers.

I have guns from 1952 to present, and they do vary some, but I certainly prefer the triggers to the comparable Rugers. The exception may be the LCR...but I just don't like the gun, as much as I wanted to.

The usual difference between a BNIB gun to a vintage gun is that the old one will usually have been well broken in. A few hundred rounds will usually have a new one just as smooth or better, at least in my experience.

YMMV.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just bought a new 686 a couple weeks ago and noticed the same thing... cylinder tight to release and da trigger stacking and a little rough. I dry fired maybe 150 times and opened and closed the cylinder a while after lubing and it works great now.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,114 Posts
The only thing certain is "they don't make them like they used to"!
I agree, thats why I bought my 29 8&3/8 Harry Callahan special used, but perfect, early 1980's manufacture. Its a solid built gun, and although the trigger pin did shear off, and I had to send it back to smith's custom shop for repair, its good as new now. I would love a 29-2 pinned and recessed, but I am happy with my 29-3.

·
Registered
544 Posts
One thing I've noticed: The value of S&W stock vs. Ruger is quite telling about both companies. Ruger is typically about five to six times more valuable than the S&W Holding company stock. Ruger is so good that I've had to sit and watch it grow all year without a single purchase! There are a lot of things that go into that value, but gross sales are about as important as anything. I'd say that overall quality and customer service is telling. We worry about the other big companies taking a big dip, occasionally, then you look at Ruger for the day, and see nary a ripple! Sometimes it even goes up. I wish I'd bought some of it when it was $4.34 before the current administration took over Washington. You can multiply that number by ten or fifteen times, now.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I've got the 8 3/8" Model 29 purchased way back when they were definitely into quality, as well as a nickel plated model 19, and also a model 17. Note they were and still are in superb condition. I'd have to pull them out of the safe just to confirm the Model # prefix. Such as 29-3, 19-4, 17-2. BTW I did have a Ruger Security Six in the .357 magnum, and could never get used to the double action trigger pull, ended up selling it around 1993-1994 to a fellow worker.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:

1) my son and I have been shooting this awesome gun for several days straight ... Our thumbs don't any longer feel the bite of the edges of the cylinder release button... (Toughened skin?)

2) and the cylinder is beginning to be released with ease (we push harder on cylinder as we try to release cylinder?)

Holy cow... My hand hurts... I need to find some .44 spl (vs the 240 gr magnum we've been shooting!)

I bet Harry Callahan never whined about his hand....

·
"The Real Deal"
8,114 Posts
I bet Harry Callahan never whined about his hand....

Yeah he makes reference to using 44 special loads in the movie, so I imagine he didn't have issues.

Glad your enjoying the gun, and yes look into some 44 specials, they are low recoiling, and easy to enjoy, even though I love the 44 magnum reloads I use 20 grains of h110, its the bottom of the scale, verus 26 grains at the top of the scale with 240 grain flat nose bullets.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update: the 29-10 is slowly getting better as I shoot it... About 200 rounds so far and th DA trigger is getting better

1 - 19 of 19 Posts