Ruger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Delta2
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was shooting my Winchester 1500 (basically its a classier version of the more common Winchester 1400) the other day and after a few shots of just some federal target loads I noticed a slight discoloration appear on the barrel. It didn't cover a large area and it only appeared on the underside of the barrel. It was a cool day out both times I shot it and I know the gun gets hot after shooting but could this be a sign the barrel is weak at that point? It usually fades as the gun cools down and I can wipe away the rest with my gun oil rag. I posted a picture of a barrel that I found online and circled exactly where the discoloration appeared. I'm hoping this only happened due to the outside temp being in the 40's vs. the gun getting really hot really fast due to the discharging of 12 gauge rounds. However if this is a warning sign of something more serious please let me know.

·
Registered
342 Posts
probably some blowback.
long as it wasnt glowing red.....

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
The cause may be partially plugged gas ports. I shoot 1100s, and have similar occurences if I don't clean the ports after 500 +- rounds of skeet.

·
Delta2
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the responses made me feel much better. This gun was my grandfathers and it came into my possession after he passed so I'm glad nothing is wrong with it. And in response to bobski, the barrel was not glowing red at all. I cleaned it before i shot it and now it has had a full box of shells through it so it could probably use a good cleaning. If that does not help anyone have any other suggestions?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts