Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -- total newbie so apologies in advance if this is a dumb question...

Just finished cleaning my LC9 after a visit to the range today and while cleaning was a success, I'm not sure what to do with all of this stuff soaked with Hoppe's No. 9? Is it safe to bag up and put in the trash? Do I need to somehow make it inert? I just don't want any fire from fumes...

Thanks!

Felix

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Put it right in with the regular trash. The solvent will evaporate and so will the odor. I do dump mine in an out door trash so not to stink up the garage or basement.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I let the rags and patches air dry outdoors for a few hours and then dump them in the trash can.

·
Registered
947 Posts
If you feel safer making them inert, you can soak them for a while in a glass of warm water with a squirt of Dawn dishwashing liquid, then toss them out. It'll cut the smell of it too. I've always loved the smell of Hoppes #9...perfume to my nostrils.:D

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
All my cloths just get thrown straight into the outside garbage.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
First, throw them into a zip lock sandwich bag to keep out the smell, and then into the trash.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
I clean in the garage and use an old dog food bag for misc. garbage and throw the patches in there.Then every time I go in the garage it smells like ...heaven... (ok maybe not heaven but it smells good)LOL

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
This is hilarious. I was recently working on an AR Lower Build and I painted my pictograms red and white. I had some paint film on the lower and so I got a rag good and wet with Hoppes and gave the whole thing a good scrubbing. Took that film right off and it looks better than new.

My wife came home and said, "Babe! Did you spray the house for roaches!?" I said, "No. Why? Was I supposed to?" (I tend to forget things on the honey-do list). She said, "Are you sure? It smells like roach spray!" Then she walked into my hobby room and said, "OH! It's really bad in here! Are you sure you didn't spray?" I held up a rag and said, "Is this what you're smelling?" She said, "EW! YES! What is that?" I said, "That's the smell of Hoppes No. 9 baby!"

HAHAHA!

The nerve of her to compare Hoppes to roach spray!

·
Registered
483 Posts
No kidding! Roach spray smells WAY better than Hoppes!
:p

O.P. Perhaps you're concerned about the patches spontaneously lighting on fire, like a can or barrel full of used oily rags will? It doesn't seem to happen with patches used with Hoppes. I couldn't say why, but I've never heard of it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I just throw the stuff in the outdoor garbage can. The main ingredient in Hoppe's is kerosene. The pleasant smell mostly comes from an amyl ester ... or basically essence of banana oil. This amyl ester helps to dissolve lead fouling.

What I do not understand is how we like the smell of Hoppe's, and most women do not ... I just don't get it.

·
Registered
17,239 Posts

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the helpful responses -- I sincerely appreciate them!

Was it wrong to slap a little Hoppe's on my face after shaving this morning? :D

1 - 20 of 58 Posts