Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will soon have had my 345 for a year, and have pumped just over 2,200 rounds through it. I love this gun and am delighted with it every time I take it to the range.

Several months ago I began reloading, and that has added lots more fun to the shooting scene for me. ;) I always clean my guns upon returning from the range, but at this point I'd like to strip my 345 all the way down and give it a *good* cleaning. Anyone know of any online helps/instructions for doing that? Thanks!

Amistad

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I know how to detail strip the slide, but haven't really given the frame a go.

If you look at the slide from the bottom you will see a pin just forward of the safety/decocker lever that is held in place with a spring. Push down on the spring with an appropriately sized flat screwdriver and the pin will be released. Removing the pin allows you to remove the spring which has a little hook on the end retaining the safety/decocker levers. The safety/decock levers retain the firing pin and spring. Take a look at the schematic and remember which order everything comes out. Put it back in in reverse order. The putting that spring and pin back in at the end can take a few tries and a few choice words but it isn't too bad.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
That all being said, a can of gunscrubber or powderblast used in the slide can do just about as good without all the work. I'd avoid getting it on the frame though. Some of those chemicals can do nasty things to polymers.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I concur. I always give the slide a good dousing, followed by a stringent blowing out and things appear to be just fine with that. I'll hold off tearing it down any further until I happen across something that gives enough insight to prompt me to do so... Thanks for the replies.

Amistad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts