Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eight to nine years ago I bought my son a Red Label Shotgun for Christmas. I bought a Red Label over a European gun because of Ruger's reputation and support. It has been plagued with the same extractor problems I have read about in other posts. After about 500 rounds it has gotten bad enough we need to get something done. I called last fall and they said send it in and gave me a release #. My son didn't want to be without his favorite shotgun during bird season so I held off. Today I packed it all up and called customer service to get another release number and I was informed that they no longer support Red Label shotguns! I was flabbergasted, I have owned many Ruger products over the years and the few that I have had trouble with were sent in to Ruger and repaired no questions asked. My local gun dealer couldn't believe it. I called the gun shops that the lady from customer service referred my to and they said they can't get the ejectors for Red labels. I did find the ejectors at Numrich so I guess I will have to keep my fingers crossed that they are oversized or fit tight enough. This is a direction I never expected from Ruger.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I hate to hear that. We have several RLs in the family and while we've never yet needed Ruger CS on them I liked knowing they were there. Do you suppose it's only the earlier version or the newer model as well?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New Revelation on Red Label Shotguns

A very nice lady from Ruger just called me and said that what I was told was in error. They do support the Ruger Red Label shotguns with the 411 series serial numbers. It was a much older series that they no longer support. The mailing label is on the way.

·
Registered
410 Posts
That's good news, I just got my " newer" version 20g
back from them yesterday ( new ejectors, springs etc)
and was feeling bad for you

·
Registered
930 Posts
qsear,

Good to hear RUGER CS is standing behind their product.

I was shocked to read the first post but glad to know RUGER SC is the team I expect and they are going to take care of your issue.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Wow thought we were starting a downhill trend. Good to know your covered.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I started to get a sinking feeling after reading the initial post. Thank goodness there was an update that helped to calm my fears. The Red Label situation is simply one of the most confusing things that I have observed within the gun industry. I don't think that I ever saw a "new" Red Label in a gun shop and then the announcement came that they were - yet again - no more. So odd.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
This is still somewhat troubling. If I understand the previous posts Ruger is now only providing service on the "new" but now discontinued Red Label leaving the owners of the original Red Label without factory service. There must be tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of the original Red Labels out there. The new Red Label wasn't really in production long - couple of years. The original RL was in production for several decades.

I've never needed service on my older RLs but it was always nice to know they would be there if I ever did.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think part of the issue with providing service for the red label is
the available " spare " parts on hand, when a gun goes out of production
they also stop producing parts

·
Registered
143 Posts
So I guess I'm not relieved after all; my Red Label is a 410-xxxx series serial number. If what I've read is correct then I'm out of luck for future service if needed. I bought it used and I've never had any issues with it - hopefully, it'll keep running.

·
Registered
41 Posts
barrel bashing

About an hour ago my skeet thrower tripped and dented my red label 20 ga bottom barrel , hope I can get it fixed , one of my favorite guns. Will call ruger monday. Have had no other issues with the gun.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,222 Posts
This is one of the very reasons why Ruger doesn't have a declared warranty. It has been very common for Ruger to discontinue service on guns soon after they go out of production. Mostly it depends on the parts they have in stock .... when the parts are gone, they will discontinue service on that particular model. Look at Ruger's web site: Ruger Instruction Manuals & Product History When you see "Out of production" in the right hand column, chances are they won't service that model but sometimes you get lucky if Ruger had parts left over.

·
Registered
41 Posts
ruger could not fix the dent in the barrel. They offered to sell me a new red lable for 850 $ they keep the old one. They only had 12 ga mine was 20. Decided to have it fixed gunsmith tells me very common fix no problem. Ruger sent back gun. Still love ruger guns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a "new "RL (August 201 and it has been back twice for trigger problems. The first time I had to send it at my expense($33 with insurance via UPS) . The second, they sent me a free shipping label I'm a bit skeptical with the reliability issue. If it fails again, I'll push for a refund

Cascade Joe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts