Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 20-year-old scuba diver who dragged a live octopus onto shore in Seattle, Washington, and took it home for his dinner has faced death threats over the incident – even though what he did was completely legal.

Dylan Mayer was photographed by angry divers when he emerged from the water with a giant Pacific octopus, still writhing in his hands, on November 1.
He was photographed tossing the octopus onto the bed of his truck and driving off.
Photos of a grinning Mr Mayer measuring the cephalopod on the floor of his garage were later posted to his Facebook page.
The photos circulated around the diving community and a storm of outrage erupted.
"As they were coming in you could tell the octopus was alive. It was writhing around and they were wrestling with it," said Bob Bailey, who witnessed Mr Mayer bring the octopus to shore.
"It's just not done. It's bad form. Even if you can do it, you shouldn't do it."
Local activists urged divers and other residents to sign a petition banning the harvesting of giant Pacific octopuses.
The cephalopods are admired by marine experts for their intelligence and ability to change colour to match their surrounds.
Recreational scuba divers who visit Puget Sound, off the coast of Seattle, marvel at their curious and playful nature.
The Pacific octopus is not protected, authorities say, but it is not usually hunted for food either.
But Mr Mayer defended his actions.
"I eat it for meat. It's not different from fishing. It's just a different animal," he told local TV news outlet Komo News.
He said the original idea was to catch an octopus for a friend's art project.
"He wanted me to get something from nature, so I got an octopus. I caught it, and then these divers came up and started yelling at me. I ignored them and ended up driving away," he said.
Mr Mayer has since received dozens of threatening phone calls and abusive emails, he said, and even been banned from several diver shops over the incident.

Scuba diver gets death threats after octopus catch

·
Registered
673 Posts
Good gravy. Death threats over catching an octopus & eating it? Some people are nuts. Where the heck do they think their burger, chicken nugget, sushi tuna, meat in general comes from? Meat just doesn't appear from nowhere.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good gravy. Death threats over catching an octopus & eating it? Some people are nuts. Where the heck do they think their burger, chicken nugget, sushi tuna, meat in general comes from? Meat just doesn't appear from nowhere.
Exactly, it's not as if he just dragged it up the beach and left it there..... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
41 Posts
The guy sounds like a total tool. Ignores a well known code of ethics for divers and then goes home and brags about it on the internet by posting pictures. This is exactly why I dont let people hunt on my land.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The guy sounds like a total tool. Ignores a well known code of ethics for divers and then goes home and brags about it on the internet by posting pictures. This is exactly why I dont let people hunt on my land.
He did nothing illegal. :confused:
What about professional fishermen that harvest a lot more?

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Don't know much about the Octopii situation but I've fished Southern California for many years and because if the local fishermen don't "police" their own "legal" activities the fishing will decline or outside groups will move in (as they have here recently) and force closures that may have not been well planned or thought out.

We have a local fish here called a Calico Bass...It's a wonderful coastal fish that has been a mainstay of the local boats for years and years....the Calico is a very slow growing fish so most "locals" will catch and release most if not all of the Calicos and target other, more easily caught fish for the table...we just respect that a 5# calico bass may be 30 years old and is in the peak of it's reproductive life..if they are not injured we normally put them back...the "bag" limit on them is 10 fish and most folks will take only one or two for the table if any at all.

We are a tourist destination and lots of tourists like to ride the local day fishing boats and often there are lots of Calico's in the catch...We normally offer to "trade them other and better fish" for the calicos so we can release them to keep spawning and growing. Instead of making them feel like jerks or threatening them it's great to see that they understand and usually they are not fishing for the meat but just for a day of fun on the water. I'd imagine there might be more to the story than is listed what with the youtube situation, etc...Locals in any sport can become over zealous in "territorial" rights...we have the surfing population here and while I's not as bad as at one time...locals "rule" and the "tourists or outsiders" might want to sort of learn and abide by the local ways or there can be trouble...we have had several deaths from fights among the surfing fraternity here.

I can't imagine what anyone would want to do with a giant octopus...I'd think about one small meal would be more than enough to discourage any more....again, I'll bet there is a lot more to the whole story than meets the eye..

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not illegal to knock a new born Bald Eagle out of the nest either, but that doesn't make it right.
If you dont understand why his actions were wrong then I question your abilities to make intelligent decisions.[/QUOTE]

No need to be rude..... :eek:

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
It's not illegal to knock a new born Bald Eagle out of the nest either, but that doesn't make it right.

If you dont understand why his actions were wrong then I question your abilities to make intelligent decisions.
Actually it is illegal to knock a new born Bald Eagle out of its nest.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not trying to be rude James, just trying to make a point.
Ok, re read your last post.
The point is, he did nothing illegal.
And this has nothing to do with bald eagles..... :confused:
If the species is endangered, that would be a different matter.
Put it on an endangered list.

·
Banned
41 Posts
"Actually it is illegal to knock a new born Bald Eagle out of its nest"

Tell that to the Arapaho Tribe -

Two bald eagles may be legally hunted by members of the Arapaho, a Native American nation, after the group received a rare permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, reported the AP.

For the Arapaho and other Native American groups, bald eagle feathers and other body parts have been sacred implements since long before Columbus' fateful voyage. But the U.S. Bald Eagle Protection Act of 1940 made hunting bald eagles (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) or even collecting the feathers from dead birds illegal.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

If you dont understand why his actions were wrong then I question your abilities to make intelligent decisions.

Two bald eagles may be legally hunted by members of the Arapaho, a Native American nation, after the group received a rare permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, reported the AP.

For the Arapaho and other Native American groups, bald eagle feathers and other body parts have been sacred implements since long before Columbus' fateful voyage. But the U.S. Bald Eagle Protection Act of 1940 made hunting bald eagles (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) or even collecting the feathers from dead birds illegal.
Steven, the thread topic was not about bald eagles..... :rolleyes:
Apart from bringing my intelligence into question, you have offered no real contribution to the thread.
Here's some help, maybe you could make comment about the rationality of the alleged death threats to the said diver.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts

So it is illegal unless you get a rare permit. I thought we made laws so we would know what we can and can't do. If you feel so strong about octopus then you should lobby to have it illegal.

·
Banned
41 Posts
[Not exactly sure how that wasn't trying to be rude.]

Let me clarify it for you. If I was trying to be rude I would have used CAPITOL LETTERS like I was yelling and called you a bunch of backwood morons. However I chose to take the high road and not insult you.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.