Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking through volume #24 of American Handgunner DIY Guns I came across a article for a gun kit from Dixie Gun Works. It is a 1851 Colt Navy replica revolver.
In the article by Will Dabbs he goes through the process of building the gun. It comes ready to fire as is but the casting is very rough to say the least. So it's my job to take it apart and make it look pretty. Mr Dabbs uses a Dremel tool a sanding drum and a wire wheel to cut hours off the project. As he put it "it is a great way to kill a lazy afternoon".

Being old school I decide to do it the without any modern tools. The casting is very rough but the frame, trigger guard and back strap are made of brass which is soft.
I decided to work on the trigger guard and back strap first. Using sandpaper I started with 320 which took many hours just to even out the rough casting. From there to 400, 500 and 600 grit. It took a few days and sore fingers to get it where it is now. The photos will show the difference between the rough casting and where I'm up to now. The hard part is going to be the frame. There are still some sanding marks even with the 600 grit that still has to be smoothen out. Going up 2000 grit to make it look perfect. More photos too as I progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
I admire your attitude and grit. You're going to have Popeye arms when you are finished. So, Popeye arms and a hand finished revolver? Very cool.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,875 Posts
That is going to be really nice! I am interested in doing a kit like that. Please keep us updated on your progress.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Very nice hand work . They make for fun shooting !
Gary

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I admire your attitude and grit. You're going to have Popeye arms when you are finished. So, Popeye arms and a hand finished revolver? Very cool.
Popeye arms not to mention very sore fingers on my sanding left hand.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took a break sanding the brass parts. Need to be careful with the brass it's so soft sanding to much from one part may not make it line up straight with another part.
So I decided to work on the grips. Sanding wood is easier than brass. As the photos show the difference between how they came and after finish sanding them. Also how they might look after I finish them. Wetting them shows up the grain. Going to have to do some work on them to make grips even color after finishing them.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I would just give those grip panels several good coats of Watco Danish Oil (natural, not the tinted versions) and then when fully cured add some wax to a satin sheen. The grain looks great.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice. I decided not to tint the grips. After finishing sanding and shaping I applied my old standby True Oil. Like always it brought out the fine grain pattern. Photos to follow.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
782 Posts
Very Nice!

My first handgun was a .44 CVA 1858 Remington replica kit with the brass frame. I got it when I was in my early 20s or so. It was nice to build it and then have a handgun in Jersey 😈.

Aqualung

·
Registered
584 Posts
Very cool project,Nam Vet! You do good work. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Thank you for your service.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very Nice!

My first handgun was a .44 CVA 1858 Remington replica kit with the brass frame. I got it when I was in my early 20s or so. It was nice to build it and then have a handgun in Jersey 😈.

View attachment 146037

Aqualung
A handgun in NJ!! Lived there not a gun friendly state. Took 5 months just to get purchases permits then finger printed every 2 years. Like my prints are going to change.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have always loved Ben Wade's gun in 3:10 to Yuma. So I thought why not put my take of it on my 1853 Colt Navy replica. So with some green masking tape True Oil and gold glitter, here my take on Wade's gun. First masked off the the Cross then applied True Oil to the uncovered part. Sprinkled the gold glitter over let it dry then removed the tape. When it dries completely I'll finish the grips with True Oil so the Cross blends in with the grips. Would like to hear some of your comments on it good or bad. More photos to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just finished all the sanding and polishing. Used Flitz metal polish and lots of hand buffing. Now if I can only remember how to put it all back together! In Between waiting for the grips to dry they have 8 coats of Tru Oil on them. I took apart the barrel assembly and cylinder. Have the exploded view that came with the gun so it should not be hard to put it all back together. Here are some photos the polishing job. recepts_448.JPG recepts_416.JPG recepts_416.JPG recepts_416.JPG recepts_405.JPG recepts_448.JPG recepts_455.JPG recepts_448.JPG recepts_455.JPG recepts_448.JPG recepts_455.JPG recepts_448.JPG recepts_455.JPG

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry for all the doubles. If I knew how to delete some I would. Only wanted 4 photos to show. Mt bad!

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
782 Posts
Looking good!

Aqualung

1 - 20 of 25 Posts