Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I set out to create my own ammo boxes for reloaded ammo.
My initial design parameters were that it would fit on a single 8/x5x11" sheet of paper - without using any tape or staples or glue - so that I could print it out and fold it up and go from there.
Another design point was compact design - so there are no plastic or foam inserts used. My original designs were for 40 to 48 rounds laid flat - I got some feedback on that and have added some standing 50 round options (though I haven't tested those extensively yet).
After trying a few designs I came up with something very close to the attached - and recently tweaked it a bit and adde some new options and calibers.

Each doc includes some instructions at the end for how to fold the boxes - and a bone folder or similar tool is strongly recommended to make the creases and folds clean and long lasting.

While I suppose you could use plain paper - provided you reinforced it with shipping tape or even duct tape - the original design was intended for 110 pound paper - though I found even this to be a bit lightweight for my purposes. I found some 16pt paper (approximately 200 to 220 pound) which is 0.016" thick - meaning about double the thickness of 110 pound card stock. With some of the recent changes I made 110 pound paper may work better when I originally tested it - but may still need reinforcement.

With 16pt glossy white paper I have made dozens of boxes and have used and reused them each several times already - with lighter paper they may not hold up to repeated use.

I amy need to make some more tweaks to the template to point out where to cut or not and which parts may be optional and where tape or staples or glue may be needed depending not he thickness of the paper and quality of the folds.

Lighter papers may be suitable to stacking into ammo cans - where the paper serves to keep the rounds organized and separated by caliber as well as recipe etc. Heavier paper 16pt can be stacked free standing 10 high without significant issues - unless you have advanced OCD they might not stack as well as factor boxes - but they do take up less space overall for a given number of rounds. For example I can get 90 rounds of 223 into my boxes in the same space of 50 rounds in a Hornady factory box.

I may eventually add PDF Form Fields to the templates for those who are printing directly onto the paper to be used as the final box.

Your typical cereal box might be just about thick enough and large enough for most of these templates. I haven't tested taping two smaller pieces together to get to the larger sizes but in theory it should work.

These are an alternative to repack boxes from various vendors.

Any questions or suggestions are is welcome - or if you don't see your favorite ammo included let me know - or if you have a wildcat round send me specs and I can work up a box.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Nice. Thanks. I'm all for DIY, especially when someone like you does all the brain work.

I'm lazier: I take old reloading plastic bullet boxes, put loaded rounds in them and stick a label on them. If I want to get fancy I cut up cardboard to put between loaded round layers. If I get paranoid about the boxes popping open when jostled, I put one of those velcro cable-bundler strips around the box (may have to stick 2 of the strips together to reach around some boxes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts