Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
I've had a ruger lcr for a month or so(I like it), I've purchase two different iwb holsters, the Galco stow-n-go and the triple K like it the best but they both really print bad don't seem to matter what shirt I wear so I have just been carrying with out a holster I haven't had a problem yet should I be expecting some.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
Some state laws require that a carried firearm be in a holster that covers the trigger. Best to check the laws in your state and those of any state you want to visit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have never carried without a holster guess just wanted to see if anyone has or does, the galco stow and go i bought does not cover the trigger at all so i most likely won,t use it at all, i like the triple k the best of the two but going to keep looking till i find the one that works the best.
thanks for all your responses

·
Dog Soldier
1,782 Posts
Get a holster. If I can carry a Blackhawk 6.5 inch barrel with a OWB or an IWB holster you should be able to whip your problem. The right shirt is the key.

The two holsters I use are the Kramer IWB and a Roy Baker Pancake OWB.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
I've had a ruger lcr for a month or so(I like it), I've purchase two different iwb holsters, the Galco stow-n-go and the triple K like it the best but they both really print bad don't seem to matter what shirt I wear so I have just been carrying with out a holster I haven't had a problem yet should I be expecting some.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
I have never carried without a holster guess just wanted to see if anyone has or does, the galco stow and go i bought does not cover the trigger at all so i most likely won,t use it at all, i like the triple k the best of the two but going to keep looking till i find the one that works the best.
thanks for all your responses
:confused:

Anywho - I'm glad to know you're not carrying w/out a holster. Welcome to RF.net. :cool:

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
No way I'd carry a loaded pistol in my pocket w/out a proper holster. A proper holster not only protects the trigger, but also keeps the gun oriented properly w/ the grip up instead of it rotating and pointing at your boys or your head, and it also helps to keep dirt, lint, etc out of the gun, out of the trigger mechanism, away from the hammer, and out of the barrel. Keep looking until you find a good holster. The LCR is a popular firearm and you will be able to make back most of your money if you later need to sell a barely used holster.
I agree 100%.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Holster guns that you want to control. If you do not care when, where or what direction your gun goes off don't use a holster. Some like the excitement of an unexpected discharge and the searing pain of a bullet gone astray. Or the remorse of hurting an innocent byestander.
Holsters are for people who want to be responsible gun users and carriers.

·
Registered
991 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Before I got my SR9c, I used to carry my little Kel-Tec P3AT .380. (Almost identical in size to the LCP).

At first I just carried it in my front pants pocket. It didn't really print at all (I don't wear skinny jeans). Like the LCP, the Kel-Tec has a really long and heavy trigger pull, so I wasn't too worried about accidental discharges, and remembered to keep my fingers out of the trigger guard when sticking my hands into my front pockets.

After doing it this way for a couple of months, I got bored one day and pulled the Kel-Tec out to take it down for cleaning (even though I hadn't shot it).

I was amazed at how dirty the gun was. It was all pocket lint and cotton fibers. Everything on the gun was covered with this stuff. There was lint in the barrel, in the mag well, and especially all through the trigger mechanism. I really had to clean the heck out of it. I went right out and bought a cheap Uncle Mike's IWB holster for the Kel-Tec.

I still carried the little Kel-Tec mouse gun in my front pocket, but inside the holster. The gun never came away dirty again. The Uncle Mike's holster barely added any width so it still didn't print much in my pocket.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You may want to check local laws too. In GA it is illegal to carry a firearm without it being holstered while carrying. I've carried for about 7 years always in my pocket or OWB. I recently bought a Galco King Tuk holster and love it. I also carry a Desantis Sof Tuk with my ultra lite M85 comfortably. The King Tuk is very good for heavier sidearms, once broke in.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
How many of these ND's (I don't call them accidental) are from Glocks? Seems like most of the ones I hear about are.

Do like me; get yourself a good wheel gun that doesn't have that glock hair trigger and the problem goes away.

But a holster is still a good idea. Keeps the gun in the position and alignment you need, plus keeps dirt and lint out of the works.

·
Registered
133 Posts
could be a result of statistics too. I'm not sure, but there may be more glocks being carried than others causing the statistics to show a higher number of glocks.

Also for what its worth, I've not seen any glocks with hair triggers that were not modified. I do like revolvers, but I also like the higher capicity of the semi auto.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Does your carry gun have a trigger, like mine? I can't imagine not using a holster for many reasons. Not wanting to shoot myself, a stranger, or a family member are just a few. I assume you carry a loaded gun?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
You need a good holster. If you're having problems with this holster, you might try a different style of carry, but you want a holster if you're going to carry. Look at this story below. This guy tried to carry without a holster and shot himself in...well...

Police urge holster use after man shoots his own penis >> Lesson learned!! :D

You might call it nature preventing him from introducing more of his DNA into the world.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I haven't read all of the previous responses to this thread, so sorry if this is a repeat of someone else's comment. What are you calling printing? Can you tell that it's a gun under your shirt? Or does it just look like you have something under your shirt? If you can't make out the shape of the gun you have nothing to worry about. Hell, it could be a cell phone, or buck knife. People carry all kinds of things on their belts now days. I don't think anyone, including police officers go around looking at what's bulging out of peoples shirts. Unless it's very obvious that it's a gun, you don't need to worry. You would almost have to be wearing a see through shirt to tell if a gun is a gun when it's in a holster with 100% certainty. I usually try and use the common sense approach when it comes to things like this.

·
Registered
363 Posts
are you sure this photo shows you at 15°?
Me or the gun? ;)

Actually, good eye. This was the first version of this holster and the cant was about 45°. This is the cant that provided the best combination of concealment. I tried it on and drew the gun a few times and it seemed OK, but later when I tried it in an IDPA match I found that it was very slow to get a proper grip for the draw (a lot my draw tests had been while sitting down). Plus it made the safety officer nervous that it was pointing that far back.

I changed it to about 30°, and it's a lot quicker, but still very comfortable.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Look into a Belly Band. With it you can appendix carry (or from 12 o'clock to 2:30) keeping the grips even with your waistband and go without a shirt. I use a Bell Band for my LCR, SR-9C and a Glock 19.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.