Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The LCP is my first semi-auto, and I cleaned it for the first time. I followed the instructions in the manual, but it made no mention of using a heavier, thicker type lubricant, which is what appeared to be on the inside the slide and barrel.

The Pro-Shot cleaning kit I bought came with a sample packet of their pro-gold lube and I used that sparingly for the slide, barrel and springs.

Is this stuff OK to use for that purpose?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Well, first of all I don't think Ruger would put something in the box that would hurt their own product. I use the same grease on my guns and I find it to be really good stuff. With a small pistol like the LCP I'm not sure I'd use ANY grease.

Ignore what you found in the gun as you took it out of the box. New guns range from 100% dry to full of grease and metal filings. All new guns should be cleaned and lubed per the manual prior to first shooting.

Important: don't over lube. Pretty dry is better, especially if its carried in your pocket - oil will attract dirt/fuze/lint and also ruin your pocket. Many small pistols won't run if over lubed. On a gun like the LCP I'd put a very little bit on the barrel and let it go from there. It's not like it's going to run 1000's of cycles and reliability is your FIRST concern with a personal protection gun.

If I was taking it to the range and planning to put a 100 rounds through it (torture at best) then I might lightly oil the rails but be sure to clean it afterward. Remember: reliability is more important than a little wear.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, first of all I don't think Ruger would put something in the box that would hurt their own product.
It wasn't Ruger's product, the lube came with a Pro-Shot cleaning kit.

I use the same grease on my guns and I find it to be really good stuff. With a small pistol like the LCP I'm not sure I'd use ANY grease.
Then I should use the standard, thin gun oil? All guns need some oil occasionally don't they?

Ignore what you found in the gun as you took it out of the box. New guns range from 100% dry to full of grease and metal filings. All new guns should be cleaned and lubed per the manual prior to first shooting.

Important: don't over lube. Pretty dry is better, especially if its carried in your pocket - oil will attract dirt/fuze/lint and also ruin your pocket. Many small pistols won't run if over lubed. On a gun like the LCP I'd put a very little bit on the barrel and let it go from there. It's not like it's going to run 1000's of cycles and reliability is your FIRST concern with a personal protection gun.
After putting 75 rounds through it today. I took it apart and cleaned it. I wiped off all the old stuff and re-lubed it, using the heavier thicker lube. I didn't put any more lube then what was on there from the factory, maybe less. This heavier thicker lube seems less likely to run out, but it seems it could attract hair, dirt, etc.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Sorry, I guess it's getting late. You did say it came in the kit. That lube is good anyway, it just may not be the best choice in all situations. Military basic training says to clean your weapon and leave a light coat of oil. This is on rifles meant to see 100's of rounds before being checked again.

Yes, guns need *some* oil but very little. I use a Q-Tip as sort of a mop to put light coats on the slide rails, barrel. Apply just enough so see it. I haven't seen a LCP manual but I would certainly follow it.

Many guys seem to think the gun has to be nearly dripping with oil. Not true. I think they're taking an approach as if they were doing wheel bearings or manufacturing tools. A gun isn't like that at all. Depending on how you use and maintain your gun (to each his own here) I don't think the casual LCP owner will go more than a few 100 rounds at most w/o a clean & lube. The LCP is a CCW gun so it's meant to be carried a lot and shot a little.

When they first came out there were many posts about new owners taking them to the range and thinking they were an all day gun - NOT. Complaints about how un-comfortable they were ran wild. Well, of course they were uncomfortable. That's just about their lowest design priority.

This forum's gunsmith authority says over lubing causes more wear because it attracts and holds the grit and carbon.

So my personal opinion; The LCP does not need any grease and only the lightest of oil on the barrel and rails. Besure to keep the mags clean and dry. Get a pocket holster if that applies to you.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
First off, the factory lube is there to protect the gun in storage.
I would throughly clean the gun with Gunscrubber. It won't hurt the polymer in the LCP. Then I would very sparingly use the lube of your choice. I use CLP & I am testing Froglube on a couple guns. Sparingly is the key.
Good luck! My wife carries the LCP & loves it. I have a Taurus 738 TCP & like it for summer carry.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So my personal opinion; The LCP does not need any grease and only the lightest of oil on the barrel and rails. Besure to keep the mags clean and dry.
Thanks for the info, and the next time I shoot at the range, I'll take it apart and wipe that heavier lube off and just use a little bit of light gun oil. So tell me, what type of guns should I use the thicker lube for?

When they first came out there were many posts about new owners taking them to the range and thinking they were an all day gun - NOT. Complaints about how un-comfortable they were ran wild. Well, of course they were uncomfortable. That's just about their lowest design priority.
I shot 75 rounds today and my hands feel fine, no soreness. I was actually more sore the next day after shooting my LCR. Having to rack the tight little slide and loading the mag was the worst part for me. (If your interested, see my thread on my first day with the LCP in the Range Report I posted today).

Get a pocket holster if that applies to you.
I got a DeSantis pocket holster, works great!

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Go to the Ruger site and watch their "Tech Tip" on cleaning and lubrication.

Personally, I'd be concerned with a "heavier, thicker" lube because it could bog down the action at the worst time.

It sounds like you might be over-lubricating, also. (I don't know this for sure.) If you watch the video above, you'll see they put a few drops on a cloth and wipe down the inside and out of the pistol with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts