Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a revolver guy at heart. I have shot a few slide guns and I always go back to my revolver and am much happier not chasing brass all over at the range from a slide gun. I do have an opportunity to get a SR1911 from a friend of mine. I am familiar on how they work and how they shoot. I would like some input from you slide gun guys on your thoughts. Do you think I will be happy shooting a .45 out of slide gun? How hard is it to clean the 1911? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I owned five revolvers before buying my first auto-loader (handgun or long gun), and it was a 1911.

I still have my revolvers (including the five I had then), but now have two Colt 1911s, and several other autos as well. I'm not chomping at the bit for another, but find I'm always keeping my eye out for a good deal on one - particularly say a nice original (not repro) blued or parkarized series 70 Colt, or an officers.

Trust, me, if you think you want one, you want one. Get it and you won't regret it.

My Colts:

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Hey cmann, I was a die hard S/A & D/A revolver guy for all my shootin' life, over 40 years, until last month when I purchased a new SR1911. For me, I don't know why I didn't make the transition sooner, {don't get me wrong I still love my wheel-guns}, but I am crazy about the SR1911!!! It is such a sweet shooter...;)

Once I ordered the SR I knew had some waiting time until it arrived so I made good use of that time by researching 1911's in general, shooting techniques, disassembly, cleaning, reassembly, etc. I scoured the YouTube videos for information, read magazine articles, talked with 1911 owners and used the wealth of knowledge on our own Forum here as well. I just wanted to expose myself to as much info as I could find while I was waiting.

I would highly recommend going over to the "auto-loader side" if you feel comfortable enough to give it a try. It's been a whole new shooting experience for me in a positive way and the SR1911 is one fine gun to break into it with.

Hope this helps you out, good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
My dad used to tell me: "Every man needs to own a nice watch, a good bottle of scotch, and a quality 1911". Not sure where he got that from but I agreed with him :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
My dad used to tell me: "Every man needs to own a nice watch, a good bottle of scotch, and a quality 1911". Not sure where he got that from but I agreed with him :D
Your Dad sounds like a wise man. I agree completely, & suggest everyone take advantage of an opportunity to obtain a 1911-style .45ACP.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,281 Posts
Different strokes. They are romanticized, but not everyone will fall in love with a 1911. I can take them or leave them but they are far from my favorite gun.

See if you can borrow or rent one to spend a little time with before you plunk down the cash.

Good news is, if you buy it and don't want to keep it there will likely be a ready market for it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Buy that weapon and don't look back. I've never heard of anyone regretting owning a1911. Got my springer nearly 20 years ago, still love shooting her. Nothing breaks, but after thousands of rounds, you'll want to replace some parts. Barrel link and pin,recoil spring,firing pin and spring, extractor. Nothing complicated or expensive. Purchase parts directly from Springfield Armory. And yeah, they're easy to clean.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Go to the range with your friend and shoot his. I am willing to bet you will take it home with you.
I have been wanting one for years since the first time I shot my issued Colt back in the 70's. They made me give it back and it had to stay in the armory on base. I am saving up for one now I really like the Ruger, but haven't committed yet. There are so many great models.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Hard to say what another person will like, of course, but I've been shooting both autoloaders and revolvers all my life and been happy with both revolvers and semi-autos. I think you really should get out and shoot that SR1911 if you can before you buy. As for me, I would grab my SR1911, first, out of all the guns I own, when it's crunch time. I have that kind of confidence in a 1911.

Compared to field stripping a Mark 1,II, III, which I can do blindfolded after all these years, I think a 1911 is a piece of cake to take apart and clean. Baby stuff by comparison.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am a revolver guy. I have sold every semi-auto pistol I ever bought except my polished nickel Bobcat. Recently I acquired an SR1911. I have about 150 rounds down range with it and I love it. It's a piece of cake to strip and clean. It's a joy to shoot. And it's pretty too. Buy it. You will love it. It won't replace your wheel guns but, it doesn't have to.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,754 Posts
There's something about the personality of a 1911 that is very revolver like. I don't know what it is, if it's the heft of the steel, the nostalgia, or something different altogether, but I think a quality revolver and a good 1911 make a fine combination. :)

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
If you get the chance to own an SR 1911, do it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Why not. If you don't like it you can always sell it. You only live once. Might as well go for it.

I've owned a few and my SR is the only one I have left.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.