Ruger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older Mark II and would like to change it's barrel to a bull. I have already bought the barrels, 4 and six inch stainless, but need advice on changing them out. What direction do you turn the barrel to unscrew it, are there precautions that I should take i.e. dismantle the gun. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
vpedwards

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,573 Posts
vpedwards, The barrels are threadded with a normal "right hand" twist. (rightie tightie, lefty loosy).

You will need a clamp block for the receiver so you can clamp it in a vise without damage. You will also need a barrel clamp block so you can wrench the barrel loose and screw the new one in without damage. Use a propane torch to heat up the threaded area then unscrew the old barrel.

Installing the new one is a bit more complicated. You need some thread lock such as red Loc-Tite. You need to thread the barrel in to exactly the right depth for proper headspace and front sight alignment.

This is pretty easy if you have the tools. If not, it's cheaper to pay a gunsmith than to buy receiver and barrel blocks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts